Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2015, 03:45 PM   #1

Leak Behind Toilet

When adding more than normal water to my toilet (via city water) to get a good dump, I noticed water running across the floor from under the boxed-in plumbing behind the toilet. Then I found water in the storage bay. I am assuming it’s a fitting or hose near the toilet and simply migrated to the storage area which is lower.

Does anyone know the easiest way to remove this boxed in frame? And once removed, can I simply pull the excess pex hose up and repair it? Otherwise, I’m not sure how to get to it and don’t want to go to the dealer. (not good service reputation). I’m not the most mechanically inclined person (seriously lol), but I assume it’s an easy fix if I can get to it.

Other ideas welcome.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	87610  
Old 09-02-2015, 05:58 PM   #2

The box is fairly simple to remove. First pry up the edging or molding, around the box, with a putty knife or flatbar. Typically they use a staple to attach. Then do the same for the panels. The pex lines will have a little flex. Usually they use crimp fittings on the pex. I've replaced fitting in my first trailer with the 1/2" shark bite fitting that you find a Home Depot. Good luck.

-R.Jones
Nitro 31FQSL
R3Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:15 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I removed the toilet and bottom portion of the box. The top is screwed in from the opposite side of the wall and I darn near broke it. Well, I did break part of it but it re-assembled fine LOL. I re-installed the toilet and flushed using the pump. I could not detect any new water leaking and I could see most, but not all of the connections above the floor.

Maybe this is a city water issue coming from another line? It's late and I set the project aside for now without trying the hose. When it leaked, I was on city water using a pressure regulator. I was flushing for quite some time to add water to the black tank. Might be why the issue showed itself. Any other time on FHU we simply flushed which is fairly quick

The up side is that I don't always use city water. The down side is that I still don't know (for sure) why I had the leak. More digging to come but thankfully camping is not held up. Praying the problem does not show up on the road though.

Thanks again.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:30 PM   #4

I've had to replace the flush ball valve where the water intake is on the foot petal. First sign of failure was a mystery wet spot on that side of toilet. Had water coming out the door of the bathroom (just a small bit). Dried it up and didn't leak again for a month or more. Leak finally got consistent enough for me to see it was dripping from the foot flush valve.

Keep an eye on it, might be the culprit.
Old 04-04-2016, 09:09 AM   #5

Well... after taking the bathroom apart last year and never finding my leak..... the leak miraculously disappeared. I was pleased, baffled and knew things like that don't just go away.

Toward the end of a 2 week trip this year the leak returned. Hearing an "air" sound at the city water inlet I thought I found the culprit. Pulled off the inlet, hooked up water and yep... a leak.

Easy fix and a new (better) city inlet is on order. I have always tried to lessen the stress on that inlet because I knew the hose weight was a lot. I'll chalk it up to a weak part.

Even though the water showed up away from the inlet I should have ruled out the easy answer first. Lesson learned.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:10 AM   #6

Are you using a water pressure regulator in your city water line? If not, that might explain why seemingly normal connections might leak.

Camco 40055 Brass Water Pressure Regulator https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BZD08U..._RhPaxbVWZ4VRB

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 04-04-2016, 11:27 AM   #7

Yep, I always use a pressure reg. The unit had 9000 miles when I bought it a few years ago so I don't know what others might have done. I suppose they could have left the water hose on during a freeze as well. However, the factory plastic inlet can be easily strained by a hose and I will be more confident in the stronger one.

We're happy campers though. We love our Forest River Sunseeker.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:24 PM   #8
Always Learning

I've always used a pressure regulator and still find that my camper (Sabre fifth wheel) has little leaks crop up here and there. I think it's just part of travel.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:21 PM   #9

We use a 90 degree elbow on the city connection , helps w/ the hose weight.

Tags
leak