Old 06-07-2013, 02:45 PM   #1
Mega Member

Leak? Bottom Edge of Rear Wall

Yesterday I noticed a brown (rust looking) ring on the concrete at the back of my rig. (2004 Sunseeker 3100). Upon further inspection it appears that there is some water (not much...but enough to be concerned) that came out of the bottom edge of the rear wall/side of the unit. I first thought it might be some rust from the bumper..but there was a little moisture at the bottom edge of the outside. (There is no moisture there now.) I have no idea what this might be. There is no leak with the fresh water or any of the holding tanks. I noticed that the seal around the rear window was not sealed in one lower corner---leaving a gap for water to enter. Could it be that water entered here and 'filterred' down the inside of the back wall? Perhaps the brown/rust color of the deposit is from rusted screws in the path? (I did wash the rig recently.) Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #2

A possibility, perhaps, is from the internal portion of the bumper where most store their sump hose. For some reason, FR didn't treat the inside with anything and the hose, generally when stored, is wet. Result rust. Then washing might have washed some out. We sprayed 1/2 can of spray galvanize in each side and that helped a lot.

Old 06-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
Mega Member

Thanks so much for your reply. Actually it appears that it came from 'inside' the back outside wall---dripping from the bottom edge of the wall (below the window). It does not appear to have originated from the bumper. (I also store the hose in a side basement area.)
Old 06-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #4
Plain Old Member

Got a picture to show exactly where the water is coming from in relation to everything else. As for the window perimeter sealant, the only place that should be sealed on the outside is the top and sides. Bottom has to remain unsealed. Not sure how they did it on that year model as they've changed the procedure a few times. Late models don't have the sealant due to a different type gasket, but we chose to seal anyway. I'm sure it's possible water got into that bottom trim on the side wall which does contain screws. It can act like a trough if that small line of sealer is cracked. I honestly don't think yours is coming from inside the wall, but that's just an uneducated guess. If you got a picture and a few more details I'm sure one of the many people on here can help you pinpoint it.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #5
Plain Old Member

This is the bottom trim I was referring to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-734992185.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	32568  
Old 06-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #6
Mega Member

RV Pictures

This is the ground 'stain' I noticed a few days after washing the coachClick image for larger version

Name:	RV ground Stain.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	32592

Name:	rear.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	32593

This is the location where I noticed the moisture 'drippping' (nothing occuring now). It came from the corner of the back wall/side before the cut-away for the tow hitch.

Name:	bottom trim.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	32594

This is the unsealed window gasket

Name:	gasket bottom window.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	32595

Thanks in advance for any ideas or assistance.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #7

Got me. What is wheelie bar for? Nitro?
Old 06-08-2013, 05:24 PM   #8
Plain Old Member

After seeing exactly what your talking about with the window, it is very likely that it has run down inside the wall over time. I'm guessing you haven't seen any signs of delamination on the outer skin, on the inner paneling, or damp spots inside? Definitely needs to be fixed or replaced asap, as in the window. Even if its not that, the gasket coming off will cause problems.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #9
Mega Member

There does not appear to be any delamination visible or any issue with the internal wall---no spotting or warping---at least that I can see/tell. It may be that when I washed the coach last week I hosed this area pretty good; likely at an angle that allowed more water than usual to enter that opening around the window. After reading your other post, I also checked the caulk above the window and it definately need redoing as well. If I can ever figure out HOW to get this gasket reattached---I can sometimes get it to seat---but it does not stay in place---AND once I replace the window caulking on top, I hope that will solve the problem. (Still not sure why it came out brown....that worries me.) THANKS SO MUCH for your time and help!!!
Old 06-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #10
Mega Member

Actually I attached two "industrial strength" casters to the tow bar that is affixed to the frame. This allows me to drive up my steep driveway (to turn the coach around) and better deal with steep inclines at some parking lots, etc. without damaging or scraping the low-setting tanks/plumbing. It has worked out very well.