Old 02-16-2014, 01:06 PM   #1
Love My Sunseeker

Leak in 3170, but don't think it's FR problem

I'm in a place where right now it's raining raining raining every day and the wind is blowing. I'm in a 3170. I noticed a small leak in the corner of my front slide, it's between the sofa side and the overhead bunk side behind the driver's seat. It only occurs when it rains, and the way my RV is angled in my site, and the direction of the wind, it is blowing the rain into that corner. Not having a problem with my back slide. I just put a towel down to soak it up. I have been running my hand under the sofa as far as I can put in, and the water appears to be only in that small section behind the driver's seat. Should I look anywhere else?

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:38 PM   #2

Water leak

Sounds like the same problem I have on my 3120, the vertical wipe on the front of the slide holds the top wipe out creating a gap and if rain gets under the slide topper it comes right in that corner. I really don't want to cut the wipe so I just put down a towel and try to keep an eye on it. I've had so many problems with that slide I don't want to mess with it. Good luck.

Old 02-16-2014, 09:25 PM   #3
Mega Member

I had a similar problem with my 3100...there was wet carpet and the particleboard divider behind the drivers seat was absorbing moisture and was wet as we'll. In fact, it was really wet from the bottom up to about 9 inches up. With the slide in I can see daylight in the front bottom corner, right between the slide and the divider behind the drivers seat. I checked it and looked at the gaskets...but could not see an obvious way to address this issue. So...I put a pliable piece of rubber mat (from a bath mat) to plug the hole when the slide is in. (And I have to Remember to remove it before extending the slide.) I did not want to use a towel....as it would just get wet as well. The rubber piece actually blocks the water from coming in.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:29 PM   #4
Love My Sunseeker

I just got confirmation of the cause of the leak in my RV: The "harmonic convergence" of the following:

Angle of this site in the park
Position of my RV in the site (can't change it much)
Angle of the rain during a torrential downpour
Velocity of the wind blowing the rain

Just zeroes in on the corner of my slideout in the front end, right behind the driver's seat.

I talked to another party who spent some time in the same site I'm currently in, they were in a Travel Trailer (another brand, not FR) and they had the same problem and their TT had NEVER leaked.

So far, it's just the small floor between the couch and the wall behind the driver's seat (I store my shredder there). There is some wetness to the wood (the small amount I see below the vinyl near the floor) but I don't think it's much. There is nothing wrong with the black seals on the slide, although it was suggested I apply more caulk. I just stuff a towel in that spot and it soaks it up.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3170, leak