Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2015, 11:21 AM   #1
dgd

leak in fresh water tank

We have a small leak on the top of the fresh water tank. Is there some kind of sealant that would be safe to use?
In filling the fresh water tank, we have used a funnel. Is there something that can be attached to the fresh water hose to hold it in place?
dgd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:38 AM   #2
Canadian Member

Not sure about the sealant. How did you determine you have a leak in the top of the tank? Do you have a picture you can post?

For filling the FW tank, you can use one of these to connect to a supply hose.
Camco 40003-X RV Water Tank Filler with Shutoff Valve: Amazon.ca: Automotive

If you are filling from a jug, and money is no object, you can rig up a 12V water pump.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:41 AM   #3

I always found filling the tank thru the gravity connection was a messy PIA. I installed a valve and line between the outlet side of the water filter and the fresh water tank drain line between the drain valve and the tank. In my unit I needed two Tees, a valve and about 12" of pipe and is accessed thru the door for the water filter. It allows for pressure filling of the tank via the city water connection. Another simpler modification would be to put a female hose connection on the end of the tank drain. Then you could put you fresh water hose there and pressure fill the tank thru the drain line.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:42 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVer View Post
I always found filling the tank thru the gravity connection was a messy PIA. I installed a valve and 18" line between the outlet of the water filter and the fresh water tank drain line between the drain valve and the tank. It allows for pressure filling of the tank via the city water connection. Another simpler modification would be to put a female hose connection on the end of the tank drain. Then you could put you fresh water hose there and pressure fill the tank thru the drain line.
So do you "un-cap" the gravity fill before doing so?

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "2 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 11:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
So do you "un-cap" the gravity fill before doing so?

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
You can take the cap off but you don't have too since the tank is vented thru another line which exits thru a screened vent next to the cap.
Old 04-15-2015, 12:14 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
You can take the cap off but you don't have too since the tank is vented thru another line which exits thru a screened vent next to the cap.
In my experience you can literally fill the tank "faster" with water then air can escape from that air vent.
And that be bad.

Which is why I was asking

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:33 PM   #7

Quote:
In my experience you can literally fill the tank "faster" with water then air can escape from that air vent.
And that be bad.

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
Yes ,filling that way is (Faster) and you can even get more (Capacity) UNTIL the FWTank becomes a (Water Balloon) and lets Go! Pressure filling a Gravity fill Tank is a Very Bad idea! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Lets do some Math here,5/8 garden hose at 40PSI IN! Out is 3/8 vent tube at 40PSI! OLD Faithful!! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:24 PM   #9

Quote:
And that be bad.

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
Don't know about Trailers but the Sunseeker vents are at least 1/2", the same size as the PEX water supply lines so venting rate is not an issue. However one can still leave the cap off to be sure.

Tags
fresh water, leak, tank, water, water tank