Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2016, 08:46 AM   #1

Leaky Outside Compartment & Bad Propane Gauge

Wow... we had a massive rainstorm the other morning. When I opened the rear compartment on our new 3100SS there was 2 inches of water in the tub. Good thing it has a drain hole. I need to seal that up. Anyone else have crappy seals on theirs?

Also have a faulty propane gauge that reads full... and I mean FULL. Wish I would have seen that at the PDI. Tried tapping it and a magnet to free it. Nothing. Back to the dealer since the local propane dealer won't put a new gauge on it. Grrr.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:21 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocsDad View Post
Wow... we had a massive rainstorm the other morning. When I opened the rear compartment on our new 3100SS there was 2 inches of water in the tub. Good thing it has a drain hole. I need to seal that up. Anyone else have crappy seals on theirs?

Also have a faulty propane gauge that reads full... and I mean FULL. Wish I would have seen that at the PDI. Tried tapping it and a magnet to free it. Nothing. Back to the dealer since the local propane dealer won't put a new gauge on it. Grrr.
Not untypical for exterior compartments to leak. So far I think mine are ok but...

As for the gauge reading 100% full, what does your control panel light tell you?

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:24 AM   #3

Panel is 100% too. It's wired to the gauge. Hate taking it back to the dealer.... as we all do.

Camped about a week in it and used the furnace a few cool nights. Still full (and I mean pegged so full that I can't see the needle). Maybe it's a forever tank and never needs to be filled.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Panel is 100% too. It's wired to the gauge. Hate taking it back to the dealer.... as we all do.

Camped about a week in it and used the furnace a few cool nights. Still full (and I mean pegged so full that I can't see the needle). Maybe it's a forever tank and never needs to be filled.
Ok, well yeah that's a bummer. I like the forever tank idea though

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:11 PM   #5

We used our propane for a year, traveled 5000 mi with the frig on propane, cooked, and used the furnace a few nights. Still the propane gauge said full. It was "almost" empty when we filled it last week. At least now we can gauge how long the full tank lasts!
maryanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:14 PM   #6

If compartment has a drain hole, why was there water , 2 inches, still in it. Was drain blocked?
tom3205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:54 PM   #7

guage

If you are talking about the gauge on top of propane tank, please post if you are able to get a replacement. We have tried for over a year. Started with Forest River with no luck, tried with dealers and no luck. We were told you have to get the part from a propane dealer and we are unable to do so here. Maybe we are asking the wrong question but it seems one should be able to get a replacement part.
ncvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:29 PM   #8

NCVET: Yep, the actual gauge. I tried a propane dealer too and was told they don't do it and don't know where to send me. It's likely a warranty issue but didn't want to go to the dealer. Our other Sunseeker gauge was quite accurate. Hope to have this replaced soon.

TOM3205: It's and enclosed bottom and the drain plug unscrews if you wish to hose it out. I took it out and let it drain.
Old 10-17-2016, 04:20 PM   #9

[QUOTE=DocsDad;1343444]Wow... we had a massive rainstorm the other morning. When I opened the rear compartment on our new 3100SS there was 2 inches of water in the tub. Good thing it has a drain hole. I need to seal that up. Anyone else have crappy seals on theirs?

On the seals leaking, mine have leaked since day 1 with my CC. I had company send me new seals and replaced them and it worked for awhile but it didn't last long. The way my doors close it squeezes the seal on top of door at the hinge so tight that they compress and stay that way. Then it starts to leak again. I think it is a defect in the way the hinge closes on my door but I see no way to change it. I keep a sponge in the compartment to soak up the water but it will eventually destroy the wood flooring.

Also the outside of the door leaks where the frame fits around the composite face of the door. This lets water into the inside of the door itself and eventually eats out my lock on the hatch. I have replaced two locks so far that were totally eaten from corrosion, all from water getting to it. Really is irritating!
floridela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:09 PM   #10

Are there mounting screws in the bottom of the door frame that are outside the door seal? Our last tt had two screws in each door frame that where outside the door seals on the bottom of the frame. Rain water would sit on the bottom ledge of the door and seep through the screw hole and enter the storage compartment. I removed the screws and sealed the holes with silicone then put the screws back in. I put another bead of silicone over the screws. No more leak. Not sure why someone would install the compartment doors with screws outside the seal but it happened.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 07:38 AM   #11

Here is a link to the propane guage we used as a replacement. http://www.googleadservices.com/page...8w4IxQE&adurl=
Old 10-18-2016, 08:10 AM   #12
Site Team

A real propane dealer is your best bet for getting a new gauge if you don't want to replace it yourself.

There was a thread a while back about the same thing, and we found a float assembly and indicator to fit online.

Since we're talking about a motorhome, it's a built-in tank. You can pull the indicator off the tank without emptying the tank. I'd pull it off and make sure the indicator works properly before going to a lot of trouble. Indicators are easy to replace if that's the problem.

If it turns out to be the float assembly, you can find the right model by looking at the current one and taking the info off the tanks data plate.

We can help find one if you'll post a pic of the gauge and mount and the data plate off the tank.
Old 10-18-2016, 08:20 AM   #13
Site Team

Here's the thread I mentioned above. Bad LP Tank Float

Yours may or may not be the same unit. Since they're both Sunseekers, they may be.
Here's the one that matched theirs.
Quote:
The Manchester G13065.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:51 AM   #14

Ordered a new gauge for the LP tank and it should arrive tomorrow. I removed the old one and it does appear to be faulty, but I am no expert. Hopefully this will do the trick. If not, I will regroup. I may try the Truma Level Check but they don't guarantee it on a horizontal tank. Will report back. Thanks
Old 10-20-2016, 07:59 AM   #15
Site Team

Please do report back. With pics if possible.

Did you just order the magnetic indicator/transmitter, or the entire gage and float assembly?
Old 10-20-2016, 08:20 AM   #16

Magnetic indicator/transmitter only
Old 10-23-2016, 04:59 PM   #17

On the LP gauge, sometimes you just have to take a magnet and move the needle, which is magnetic too, to get it unstuck. Believe it or not.
edit: I see you tried a magnet. Oh well; I'll leave this post up for reference.

Here is a post I had on a bigger forum, for the same problem:
https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f.../tid/27507925/

Here is a helpful post about replacing the gauge:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f84/propa...ml#post2717337
Old 10-23-2016, 05:43 PM   #18

Quote:

Is that an option?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 06:50 PM   #19

New gauge did not work. Filled LP, drove, tried magnet again. Likely a bad float I suppose.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:59 AM   #20
Site Team

Is it still stuck on 100%?

How much propane did it take to fill it?

Was it on 100% before the fillup?

Tags
leak, propane