Old 03-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #1

Leveling Jack FYI

Just a note for those of us who were wondering why we have "little" feet on our factory installed jacks vs the normal "big feet". The larger ones are nicer too because the sides are turned up and won't dig in as easily if you drag them on uneven ground. I had a nice conversation with an engineer there and the reason is to reduce weight. Big foot had to do a number of configuration and material changes to get the weight down to meet FR specs. I also asked why is the stroke so short on the fronts and he said to meet the FR spec on ground clearance and it also reduces weight. Some suggestions made include; purchase replacement big feet for $39 each or cut out 10" plywood squares and make some 2" high blocks and bolt to the feet. This would compensate for the shorter stroke but cut down ground clearance.
Reducing weight is a good thing with the larger Cs especially now that more and more state police are waving in RVs when they setup their portable weight stations.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:17 AM   #2

What are my options on getting a set of jacks installed? Big foot or can I get every thing I need from the factory? What do y’all suggest?
2012 3120DS.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:01 PM   #3

I don't know that FR would be competitive to buy the units from them since they don't make them and would just be a middle man. It's certainly worth checking though. If you are near Big Foot (Bigfoot - Quadra Manufacturing) they are having an installation special now for $299. Not sure if you were planning to install yourself. If I was adding them to a vehicle I think I would get the manual control system because it's about $1000 cheaper, 45 lbs lighter, and I believe you could place the separate front cylinders of the manual system better so a longer stoke cylinder could be used. I was planning to buy and install them myself but I never found anything less than about $2400. Since my dealer would sell me the factory installed option for his cost, the automatic Big Foots were about the same so I went that way. It all depends if you would install them yourself. If not you will have to use some place like camping world or other RV shop.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVer View Post
I don't know that FR would be competitive to buy the units from them since they don't make them and would just be a middle man. It's certainly worth checking though. If you are near Big Foot (Bigfoot - Quadra Manufacturing) they are having an installation special now for $299. Not sure if you were planning to install yourself. If I was adding them to a vehicle I think I would get the manual control system because it's about $1000 cheaper, 45 lbs lighter, and I believe you could place the separate front cylinders of the manual system better so a longer stoke cylinder could be used. I was planning to buy and install them myself but I never found anything less than about $2400. Since my dealer would sell me the factory installed option for his cost, the automatic Big Foots were about the same so I went that way. It all depends if you would install them yourself. If not you will have to use some place like camping world or other RV shop.
There is a Bigfoot dealer in Lakeland, FL but only the factory has the cheap install price.. so i'm looking at around $4,000 for this system and this is my only choice it looks like..
Old 05-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #5

I need a replacement manual leveling jack for 2005 forest river flagstaff 228d and camping world hasn't called back after 4 days any ideas
Old 05-12-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenscott2005228 View Post
I need a replacement manual leveling jack for 2005 forest river flagstaff 228d and camping world hasn't called back after 4 days any ideas
Do you mean stabilizer jacks for the front/rear or tongue jack?
Old 07-10-2012, 12:49 PM   #7

do these bigfoot hydraulic jacks that can be ordered for a sunseeker have a manual way for getting them to rise if the electrical system fails to retract.

I would more likely consider ordering them if I knew i could do a manual override retraction

thanks
Old 07-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #8

I have the auto jack option and know of no way to manually retract the jacks with an electrical or control system failure except to disconnect the RAM hoses and manually push them up. It would get messy from the oil that would squirt out. They may stay up if the hoses are reconnected. Otherwise you probably would need to hold them up with bungee cords. I am generally not that happy with mine because they are not very stable laterally when extended. This is partially due to the smaller feet Forest River specifies for weight savings not the larger 10 inch ones used you will get if you buy them directly from Big Foot. When I spoke with Big Foot, their engineer recommended I make some 10 inch plywood pads and bolt them to the small feet which I have done. Also using wooden blocks to minimize the extension needed to level the coach will help improve the stability. If you can't get them for dealer cost about $2300 as I did, I would not recommend the option.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:37 PM   #9

to Mr.Clemens,

why aren't the pads the ones that come with bigfoot systems and will this policy change
Old 07-18-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
GM

Read the very first post. The reason most people don't do jacks is due to the added weight. We have tried to reduce that issue. We cut weight where ever we can without drastically reducing functionality. In another post, (I didn't realize this until someone asked) I mentioned that since 2007 we have cut about 300 lbs out of a 30' floor plan. We went from a steel floor to a laminated aluminum floor. We also went to Azdel Superlight in place of plywood on the sidewall under the fiberglass skin. Every little bit counts, as it starts to add up.

PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote