Old 09-30-2012, 08:50 PM   #1

Leveling Jacks Opinions

We have decided to add leveling jacks to our Sunseeker. We can generally find level sites. But it's more about stabilizing. Probably something to do with a 12 yr old DD & a (very active) 8 yr old DS!

I have decided on Quadra. That's the manufacturer Forest River uses for Sunseekers. Also, they have a pretty good reputation on the net. And I'm less than 5 hrs away from their Michigan facility for the install.

Here's my question - which system do I get?

They have a Bigfoot series with quad pumps or 1 pump dedicated to each cylinder (this is the system Forest River uses with Sunseekers).

They also have an EZ series with only 1 pump for all 4 cylinders.

The series choice drives the price. The Bigfoot series is $1270 more than the EZ series. That's a big price difference.

Either system can handle either an automatic or manual control but that is a small factor in the price.

Quadra told me that the Bigfoot series with 4 pumps is more bullet proof, reliable, & adds to system longevity versus the EZ series.

Their warranty bears that out as the Bigfoot series has a much better warranty than the EZ series.

I get all that. But we do mostly weekend trips + one week long trip only during the summer months. Although we hope to keep the unit for quite awhile.

If I was a fulltimer, I would get the Bigfoot series. Would the EZ series suffice for our occasional use? Or would I eventually regret that decision due to needing more maintenance, fixing breakdowns, etc with the cheaper series? I just don't really know the life expectancy of 1 pump operating all 4 jacks.

Thanks in advance for the opinions.

Old 09-30-2012, 08:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
We have decided to add leveling jacks to our Sunseeker. We can generally find level sites. But it's more about stabilizing. Probably something to do with a 12 yr old DD & a (very active) 8 yr old DS!

I have decided on Quadra. That's the manufacturer Forest River uses for Sunseekers. Also, they have a pretty good reputation on the net. And I'm less than 5 hrs away from their Michigan facility for the install.

Here's my question - which system do I get?

They have a Bigfoot series with quad pumps or 1 pump dedicated to each cylinder (this is the system Forest River uses with Sunseekers).

They also have an EZ series with only 1 pump for all 4 cylinders.

The series choice drives the price. The Bigfoot series is $1270 more than the EZ series. That's a big price difference.

Either system can handle either an automatic or manual control but that is a small factor in the price.

Quadra told me that the Bigfoot series with 4 pumps is more bullet proof, reliable, & adds to system longevity versus the EZ series.

Their warranty bears that out as the Bigfoot series has a much better warranty than the EZ series.

I get all that. But we do mostly weekend trips + one week long trip only during the summer months. Although we hope to keep the unit for quite awhile.

If I was a fulltimer, I would get the Bigfoot series. Would the EZ series suffice for our occasional use? Or would I eventually regret that decision due to needing more maintenance, fixing breakdowns, etc with the cheaper series? I just don't really know the life expectancy of 1 pump operating all 4 jacks.

Thanks in advance for the opinions.
you asked for opinions so i'll give one -although the total price is high you are talking 1270 dollars actually. get the 4 pump quad

Old 10-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #3

Bog Foot System

We have the Big Foot System ( 4 pump unit ) on our 2011 2650 Sunseeker. Works really well. I carry about 12 pcs of Pressure Treated 2 x 10s about 12-14" long for uneven sites in state parks, etc. Also good for slightly soggy ground they spread out the weight over a larger area. Always spray with 100% Silicone when pistons are deployed and retracted.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:45 PM   #4

I have the auto four pump system which was installed as a factory option. I don't think it works very well and would prefer the single pump system. The single pump system is lighter, cheaper and I believe is a better system. Since the system has one pump the pressures are equal between the two jacks so they come down and load evenly. I observed my jacks in auto and they seem to extend at different speeds some times such that you may end up with one of the jacks not assuming an even load and sometimes one ends up slightly off the ground when the auto cycle ends. It's less likely to occur when the site is quite level but that not when you really need them. There is no feedback to a central control so that it knows jack position or if the jack is actually loaded. Also with 4 pumps you have 4 times the number of components, reservoirs, pumps etc and 4 times chance of a pump system failure yielding a useless system. Fortunately my dealer included the auto system for about what the single pump system would cost if I installed it myself. Knowing what I do now I would not have purchased the factory 4 pump auto system and would go with the single pump system.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
GM

You have four more parts...but no hydraulic lines running all over the bottom of the unit. You might just need to reset the system if its not operating properly.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:05 AM   #6

Thanks. I believe the reset process is called nulling which I did. I had a long conversation with an engineer at Big Foot. He told me the differences between the normal jacks they supply and those that FR specifies for Sunseekers. He also told me about a modifications I could do to improve the system functionality which I did. It is not a terrible system as it will not hurt itself or the coach when used in auto but it has more limitations that I expected. I never had jacks before so maybe I expected too much. That being said I am a retired mechanical engineer with hydralic and controls experience so I am more critical and notice details more than the average owner might.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:17 AM   #7

Thanks Mike