Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2014, 09:46 PM   #1

Liking the 3010DS

Hi all,

This is my first post, although I have been reading the threads on this site for a month or so. After a 35 year hiatus from camping, my wife and I purchased a 24 foot TT and a GMC Yukon to pull it. We have had the 'rig' for 16 months and truly enjoy camping again. In total, we have been on a dozen trips encompassing close to 100 days, including a 33-day jaunt through New England. As we are both retired, the plan is for more and longer trips, including a couple of months in warmer climes this winter.
During the New England trip, we found that the TT seemed to be shrinking as the days progressed, but it never got to the point of being claustrophobic. One of the main selling points for our TT was that the bedroom was separated from the living quarters by a door, and the bathroom has 2 doors, so we don't disturb each other entering and exiting.
As we are looking to the future as we age gracefully, we are starting to consider that maybe our future goal should be a Class B+ or Class C for the two of us, and that's the reason for the thread.
We were able to spend a full day at the Hershey show looking at nothing but Class B+ and Class C Motor Homes and found the FR Sunseeker 3010DS to fit our needs. We were looking for something that had adequate kitchen counter space, a queen bed that could be accessed from either side, a permanent dinette, and a bath that is as separate from the bedroom as possible. There are just the two of us, and the dog, so we don't need a rig that sleeps or feeds an army.
We want to opt for the above cab entertainment unit, as a bunk there would be wasted space. We also thought that with the TV in the front, the theatre-type seating would be better than a sofa. What else? What other options should we consider? Are we going in the correct direction? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
dauphintraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 08:26 AM   #2

If you don't mind loosing the pantry space the double wide fridge with the ice maker is nice. Also the gas grill hookup outside.
kswing60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 10:31 AM   #3

I think the 3010Ds is a great choice. It's big enough to spend extended time in, but small enough to still fit in some fairly tight spaces.

I would reconsider the entertainment center option though. Have you ever tried watching TV with your head turned hard left and tilted up? That's what you would be doing from the recliners. It becomes uncomfortable very quick. One of my previous RVs was like that and it was a chief complaint. The TV above the counter is a much better viewing angle.

I don't think you'll find the cab over area to be wasted space either. I use it for a variety of things. I removed the mattress and installed some carpeting so things wouldn't slide too much. Since I didn't order the 4dr fridge option (it was $2700 and you lose the pantry), I put a mini fridge up there (secured of course). I also keep a clothes basket, beach bag, etc. etc. It's a catch all for just about anything.

Attached is a photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0253.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	244.7 KB
ID:	66033  
Owned 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS previously
raoulwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by raoulwv View Post
I think the 3010Ds is a great choice. It's big enough to spend extended time in, but small enough to still fit in some fairly tight spaces.

I would reconsider the entertainment center option though. Have you ever tried watching TV with your head turned hard left and tilted up? That's what you would be doing from the recliners. It becomes uncomfortable very quick. One of my previous RVs was like that and it was a chief complaint. The TV above the counter is a much better viewing angle.

I don't think you'll find the cab over area to be wasted space either. I use it for a variety of things. I removed the mattress and installed some carpeting so things wouldn't slide too much. Since I didn't order the 4dr fridge option (it was $2700 and you lose the pantry), I put a mini fridge up there (secured of course). I also keep a clothes basket, beach bag, etc. etc. It's a catch all for just about anything.

Attached is a photo.
Thank you both for your replies. We currently have the gas grill outlet on our TT and it gets used constantly, so that WILL be on the list. And your comments on the entertainment center are well taken. I thought that the 'better' seats would resolve this, but they may not, and I don't want a crick in my neck from trying to watch TV, so we'll have to rethink this one. Is there a 110V outlet close to the bunk to power the fridge?
dauphintraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:48 PM   #5

There is an outlet on the drivers side. The tv above the kitchen counter is more than adequate and the location is comfortable to watch from the couch
kswing60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 07:57 AM   #6

Liking the 3010DS

We would have got the 3010 but we are camping and not really RVing yet and the out side kitchen was the big selling point for us. after 5trips we are happy about our choice.
You however sound like the 3010 would be perfect
I would stay with the bunk over for two reasons
1, the TV right in front of you, couch or stadium is awesome and comfy.
We bought a small ottoman for the couch that also doubles as our console between the front seats for travel (it's working out great)
2, you never know when that day will come and the Class A comes calling and the extra beds will really help you find a buyer.(I learned this on my last unit, a small C that had the entertainment above the cab and really only slept 3.
As class C's go the 3010 is a really nice floor plan especially for what you describe your needs are
You could customize that over cab area like was mentioned earlier in tons of different ways cause the storage on long trips would be valuable and could still be converted back to bed if necessary in the future.
If this was my last and final unit,
I would do front storage cabinets and keep the TV above the counter ;-)
Good luck
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 09:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauphintraveler View Post
Thank you both for your replies. We currently have the gas grill outlet on our TT and it gets used constantly, so that WILL be on the list. And your comments on the entertainment center are well taken. I thought that the 'better' seats would resolve this, but they may not, and I don't want a crick in my neck from trying to watch TV, so we'll have to rethink this one. Is there a 110V outlet close to the bunk to power the fridge?
Yes, there is a 110 outlet in a little storage cubby...........I use the mini fridge for beverages only, since there are times when the outlet is not powered. I find the main fridge to be adequate for food. Then again, you may not need a second fridge at all. It depends on how many beverages you consume.
Owned 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS previously
raoulwv is offline   Reply With Quote