Old 05-29-2015, 08:41 PM   #1

Local one-location dealer or Camping World?

We are considering quotes for a Sunseeker 2400W and a Forester 2401W. I know the Forester has some minor upgrades over the Sunseeker, but otherwise they are the same unit

The Sunseeker is a dealer with one location. The Forester is at Camping World, who has locations nationwide.

Will I get better service at a Camping World store while I'm on the road because I bought from a different Camping World location? And/or are there other benefits?

Old 05-29-2015, 09:16 PM   #2

That's very difficult to say one way or the other without knowing more about the local dealer. If they have been in business for a long time, have a stellar reputation, well kept lot and bays, attention to detail (which is easy to tell when you do a walk-through and see how much you can find that needs attention OR how well it was prepped prior to showing), a wide range of services with on staff tech's, etc. you might get a more personal touch and quicker turn around. With the caveat that dealers are notorious for being your best friend until you drive off the lot. If it's practical, try doing a drive by for a few days in a row. Are the rigs in line for service turning over or is it the same rigs in the same place every day.

On the flip side.. Camping World. Service may be more standardized, but not as "invested" in individual customer satisfaction. They know that in most cases.. once the rig is "repaired" you're on your way down the road and you just became someone else's problem. It's easier to get "lost in the shuffle" and processing things like warranty repair authorization may take longer. However, you probably have more recourse with CW if you are not satisfied. Any parts you might need are probably more likely to be in-stock or within a stones throw away.

As far as being a national company... I wouldn't weigh it all "that" heavily. What are the odds that you will break down within 200 miles of the next CW?

I might just be jaded though. The few times I've needed a repair it's always 50 miles to the next little town with a population of 2000, 1 repair shop in town, everything closes at 5, and it's 5:15 on a Friday night.

Definite +'s and -'s either way. Visit both.. pay attention to their service bays and overall attitude of their employees.

Then... go with your gut! I would say though that the greatest priority would be in choosing the rig that best fits your needs/wants. After all.. you're not planning on camping in a service bay, right.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:32 PM   #3

Thanks Yarome,

The rigs are the same with a different label. I know both of these places and I am fine with local service with either.

The question was more about service on the road. Although your standardized service, parts availability and recourse comments are valuable things to consider.

If we break down on the road its likely mechanical, so we are headed to the nearest MB dealer. But in the event we are on an extended trip and need other service I want to know if having a Camping World around would be beneficial. Seems like it would, just not sure how much weight to put on it.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcamper View Post
But in the event we are on an extended trip and need other service I want to know if having a Camping World around would be beneficial. Seems like it would, just not sure how much weight to put on it.
Just looking at having service done on your coach while traveling, you would probably have much better luck at CW over a FR dealer. It's not uncommon for a dealer to refuse work on a rig that wasn't purchased from them.

If that helps.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:54 PM   #5

Informed buyer

You may want to check out www.RV.net/forum/index.cfm 'Dear Marcus Forum'.

Read the comments under the topic Camping World RV Sales.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:30 PM   #6

Most RV Dealers will try to work someone in that is on the road traveling, I know the dealer I work for will. However, if you don't buy from your local dealer then try to take it to them for repair, they aren't to eager to take care of you. RV Dealers aren't like car/truck dealers, they are independent and don't have to service what they don't sell.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomrob1161 View Post
...don't have to service what they don't sell.
Right, that's why I am thinking Camping World may be better while on the road since I did buy it from them, just not that location.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:02 PM   #8

I had the rare good experience with camping world but keep in mind they add a lot of fees. Be prepared to negotiate on those or factor them into your price. Smaller dealers are usually quoting you with pdi and documentation included. Cw charges for those services so they can advertise lower prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-30-2015, 02:02 PM   #9

Camping World uses the idea that you can take your rig to any CW for warranty work as a big promotional sales pitch. What they can't guarantee is the quality of that work. This I have found out the hard way. Recommend the second year warranty from FR. Extended warranty is a crap shot. Read the very fine print and ask if they will use used or reconditioned parts versus new.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:36 PM   #10
Site Team

Honestly, many dealership issues I see on these forums are related to camping world. Do a search in the dealer review section for both camping world and your local dealer to see if you get any hits. What is most important is service after the sale. Unless you are fulltiming I would want better local service. There are some good CW but they seem to be few and far between. My local CW took weeks to months for any repairs on our old TT. My local dealer is a member of rvwarranty forever program and provide awesome service.

asquared is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, cat, dealer, location