Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2016, 09:45 PM   #1

Looking at a 2017 3010 DS

I have not owned an RV since my 6 kids were little and that was a Coleman Pop-Up. Last year I retired from the local PD and have sense started my own company. Wife and I want to get a RV and build up to Full Timing in the next 5 - 10 years.

So I am thinking hard about the Sunseeker 3010 DS. Seems like a great unit. However my wife seems to like the FR3 30 DS. The 3010 seems like it has all the options we would need and could take some grands along with us, not to often. FR3 seems more entry level than the 3010.

I am hoping to get some feed back from owners off both so I can use the information in my decision making. One other point .... the 3010 had a list price of $103,853.60 and I was able to talk the dealer down to $79,900. The FRS had a list of $115,140.50 and the dealer will let me drive it off the lot for $84,999. Are these good prices or should I hold out longer. Both units are 2017 models.

Thanks,

Alec
Eastover SC
SharpPI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 11:37 PM   #2

Look like good prices to me. If you like the dealership and it is close to home, go for it.
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 09:55 PM   #3
Chief tinkerer

SharpPI, we have the 2017 3010DS and chose that floor plan for the "occasional" grown children and grands to go with us. Our grands are toddlers and we found that 2 "blow-up" toddler beds from Academy Sports will fit in the floor at night and can be quickly stored fully inflated in the overhead in the morning. The big fridge is great on those occasions when we are camping with 4 adults, 2 kids. We did the dual recliners and are so glad. They are super comfortable. Also, the "U" dinette will let someone 6'2" stretch out at night to sleep vs the conventional dinette, if that is important to you. Writing this on the road, in Vicksburg Miss, returning from a trip to take our Texas daughter and her family to the Texas coast. Our home is Atlanta and we dolly tow a SRX crossover with no problems. Our last Rv was a 25ft bunkhouse tongue pull about 23 years ago when our kids were young and boy, have things improved... Good luck with your search!

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 10:32 PM   #4
Chief tinkerer

.... almost forgot. We really wanted the large living/kitchen area of the 3010. One of our original "deal breakers" in a floor plan was a hall shower or the peep show shower as it was called by our family. The bathroom door when fully open contacts a magnet and makes a door between the kitchen and the back half of the coach. Problem is, that happens to be where the potty is. Anyone that really needs to go, and can't make it to the campground potty, well, let's just say, it's a bit awkward with only opaque glass for privacy.
That was solved by a shower curtain. Now, if someone needs to potty while someone else is showering, there is privacy. As a bonus, the glass door can be left open and the shower liner/curtain allows a big fellow like me to have elbow room.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Old 05-28-2016, 08:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidyupgo View Post
The bathroom door when fully open contacts a magnet and makes a door between the kitchen and the back half of the coach. Problem is, that happens to be where the potty is. Anyone that really needs to go, and can't make it to the campground potty, well, let's just say, it's a bit awkward with only opaque glass for privacy.
That was solved by a shower curtain.
We had wondered about that. The shower curtain is a great idea!

I really like the dual recliners and that is an option I really would like to get. However the boss ....wife ...... wants to keep the sofa because she thinks we might need to have the extra sleeping station. We have six kids - 4 grown, two teenagers, and she thinks we will always have lots of people with her. I sure hope she is wrong.

Prior Campers
1996 Coleman Sun Valley (1995 - 2002)
2017 Forester 3011 DS (2016 - Present)
Old 05-28-2016, 09:00 AM   #6
DW's 401(k) Plan

I Double Gidyupgo....

We also purchased a 3010DS back a couple months ago. My "discounted" price was about $70K! Don't have the recliners like Gidyupgo, but we still enjoy the sofa, which makes out to a full size bed.
We looked at the FR3, as well as the Sunseeker/Forester. What sold my wife was the ability to use the overhead bunk for storage while traveling, which you can't do with a Class A. We like the dinette and sofa all on one side - easier to watch the tv, if it's a rainy day.
And the large fridge.... WOW! It's bigger than some people have in their homes! The shower/bathroom is something to get used to. But, I'm sure my friend would also agree the bathroom could be just a little bit bigger.
I never dreamed I'd own a Class C. Always thought an "A" was the way to go. But, after taking this thing out for the 3rd time - like Gidyupgo, We're in ours, too! - I wouldn't have it any other way.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by benagi View Post
Look like good prices to me. If you like the dealership and it is close to home, go for it.
I think the OP is looking for some help in deciding which one to buy.
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 02:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike.t View Post
I think the OP is looking for some help in deciding which one to buy.
Yea its a tuff decision.

Prior Campers
Old 06-01-2016, 12:46 PM   #9

We have had our 3010DS for 4 years and have had it across country and take it out locally just about every weekend from April to November.
We really like the layout. This model has something you don't see in most.
Counter space! The wife loves that. I agree with DaGrinch - having both the sofa and dinette on the same side is great. It's amazing how much stuff we can put in the overcab area. They didn't offer the dual recliners when we bought ours but we have been looking at a retrofit so I would recommend getting them.
It drives very comfortably and it's easy to maneuver in and out of tight spaces. The mechanics of this model are all easy to get to. A big plus if you like doing mods. That's why we buy these things isn't it?
Never regretted our purchase and folks we show it to are wowed.
Hope that helps.
Old 06-01-2016, 01:20 PM   #10

Thanks for taking the time to reply. The 3010 has the best layout, for our family, that I have seen out there.

Prior Campers
Old 06-01-2016, 02:15 PM   #11

Have a 2014 model 3010 and love the floor plan. Did not have the recliner option at that time so I replaced the sofa with lazy boy reclining love seat. That sofa was the most uncomfortable thing to sit in plus terrible to sleep in. Good luck and enjoy your sun seeker.
rekwiat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 08:54 PM   #12

I wanted to consider the Class A, but my wife was not comfortable driving a "Bus". She drove our old Class C, so we just went with a large Class C. I was OK with that because I can have a beer (or two) with lunch and she drives. We also like the overhead for quick storage.
kins83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:18 PM   #13

I have a 33' TT. DW won't pull it (which is ok) but a back up driver is great when one wants to relax after 400 plus mile's with a couple/few cold ones. Good part about a class C
Old 06-06-2016, 09:48 PM   #14
Chief tinkerer

I do believe that SS intends you to drink a lot. Why else would there be 4 drink holders in a cab with 2 seats? 《insert picture of little guy holding frosty mug here》

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Old 06-06-2016, 11:32 PM   #15

2014 3010ds

I purchased my 3010DS in Feb, I especially like the wide open living area , large fridge and long counterspace. Mine has a huge Tv and cabinets overhead and I thought I would miss the storage/ sleeping space but it has tons of storage. Haven't had others sleepover yet but the couch makes a nice bed and in a pinch can use the dinette too. After looking at a number of other Class c's this model has the best windows, when camping by the lake I have great views in every direction. The other feature I love are the little windows on the bedroom slide that open. Best of luck to you whatever you decide on.
Dharani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:01 PM   #16

For pricing you can spec out a Forester at RV wholesalers and a sunseeker at RVDirect. Both will get you a quote in seconds that will be tough for any to beat...

The FR3s I haven't seen carried by those guys yet though.
JLud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:24 PM   #17

Wd have a 2015 3010ds but not much has changed since then. We often take 7 people and it's a floor plan that works well as long as you are all friendly! With 7, the large kitchen and fridge are great. As was mentioned, the dinette is large enough to sleep a large adult or two kids. Very few dinettes are long enough.

The pullout couch makes a nice size bed...but one word of warning....a topper of some kind is a must....it's horrible to sleep on otherwise but The topper makes it very nice.

The only thing I don't like is the small shower and bathroom...the under 150 pounders in our family have no issues but I don't qualify for membership in that group! We knew going in it was small but it's a compromise we live with since the floor plan works so well for us. Im seriously considering remodeling the toilet area by replacing the counter/ sink with something smaller...there is actually a decent amount of space in there but the counter takes up a lot of the width. Can't do too much about the shower but, as was mentioned above, we use one of those flip out shower curtain rids above the glass door. It's gives us larger guys a little more room, while still allowing us to use the door for the kids...less water on the floor that way!

We had a few warranty issues at the beginning, like everyone else, but overall are very happy with the 3010ds. We have about 20,000 miles and 6 months travel time logged so far.
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 09:37 PM   #18

7 people jr. You are a true great host!!!
Old 06-11-2016, 07:43 PM   #19
BEFUDDELED MEMBER

Not sure what you mean by the 3210 has all the options you need when the FR3, which stands for FR, 30 amp class A. One A/C unit. It does come in the same floor plan as the 3010. You get a real RV chassis with 19" wheels, if i recall correctly , high overall height, watch your head so you do not bump it on a low overpass, With the much higher ceiling you increase the interior cubic feet that has to be heated or cooled with the same A/c or furnace as in the 7 foot over head of the 3010.

I have converted my 3010 to 50 amp service and added a really quiet 15k Coleman a/c heat pump to stay comfortable in 120f temps in the desert SW.

That said I mainly picked the 3010 because of the 11 ' over all height and 16" wheels that I can still change on the side of the road.

My 3010 rocks::!!
:http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ar-108767.html
Viet combat vet USNR, DAV, VFW, CCL. SASS
shooter2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 10:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooter2 View Post
Not sure what you mean by the 3210 has all the options you need when the FR3, which stands for FR, 30 amp class A. One A/C unit. It does come in the same floor plan as the 3010. You get a real RV chassis with 19" wheels, if i recall correctly , high overall height, watch your head so you do not bump it on a low overpass, With the much higher ceiling you increase the interior cubic feet that has to be heated or cooled with the same A/c or furnace as in the 7 foot over head of the 3010.

I have converted my 3010 to 50 amp service and added a really quiet 15k Coleman a/c heat pump to stay comfortable in 120f temps in the desert SW.

That said I mainly picked the 3010 because of the 11 ' over all height and 16" wheels that I can still change on the side of the road.

My 3010 rocks::!!
:http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ar-108767.html
Thanks for the information .... the FR3 we looked at had a little different floor plan and seemed more entry level than the 3010.

Prior Campers