Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
MSP

looking to buy class c sunseeker 3170DS

Hello: Am going to be traveling full time and I am looking at the class c Sunseeker 3170 ds. Any advise you can give me on your experiences would be appreciated. There is just two of us but we want the bunk for extra storage and use the bottom youth sofa for alone space

Thank You!!!!
MSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #2

welcome to the forum. we bought a 2011 3170 ds in January and like you it is usually just the 2 of us. we love our 3170 from our experience so far 3 things i would not be without are the bigfoot jacks an aftermarket steering stabilizer and air bags for the rear suspension . browse the forums you will gather a lot of info on the sunseeker there always is good advice and good people on here
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:23 PM   #3

Might want to check the ccc on this unit. Theres not a lot of capacity. Especially with full timing. You'll have a lot of gear.

Regarding the post right above mine. Rear air bags are standard. Totally agree on the Bigfoot levelers - have them and love them. So far I don't feel we need a steering stabilizer as it does pretty good as is.
'94 Coleman Cedar Pop Up
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:47 PM   #4
Love My Sunseeker

I have owned a Sunseeker 2860, 3120 and now I have the 3170 with the computer desk. I LOVE IT! I am a solo, and there is plenty of storage for my stuff. Guess what, I have some empty spaces! I can understand why you want the bunk, would be good for "alone" space. But I love the computer desk! FR doesn't get too many orders for this model with the desk.

Also, if you take the computer desk, you get MORE STORAGE than you do with the bunk. You get three extra drawers, a half closet (above the three drawers) and one TALL closet. I'm storing my crutches from when I broke my foot in the TALL closet. Weigh it out VERY CAREFULLY. I understand the need for "alone" space with the bunk beds..... but...... with the computer desk you get MORE DRAWERS AND CLOSETS!

This is the first time I got the overhead entertainment center. I consider that a bit of a waste now, next time I'll just stick with the overhead bunk and a swing arm TV. The reason I consider it a waste is..... the two cabinets on both sides of the TV..... the doors have plexiglass in them (I'm sure that was due to a weight issue....), so I cannot put anything heavy up there. Basically, I throw blankets in one, and the other has a slide out drawer, I stick the cat's carrier up there when we are sitting in one place awhile. When I had the overhead bunks, I used to throw junk up there and shut the curtain, when I was sitting for awhile.

My model came with the DVD in the cab radio dashboard thing, which feeds to the front and bedroom TV's. Try to NOT get that option. The picture quality when you are watching DVD's really sucks. The TV in the middle (which, guess what, they gave me anyway, even with the computer desk) is independent, and connected to the Jensen stereo under the TV. MUCH BETTER picture quality when watching DVD's, but I don't like to sit on the computer desk just to watch DVD's. The Jensen stereo is pretty decent!

But, if you ultimately do end up with the DVD in the dashboard thing...... When you are watching the front TV, you have to turn the sound all the way down on the TV, and use the sound from the dashboard radio to watch the DVD. If you are using sound from both sources, you get "conflict." On the other hand, if you are watching DVD on bedroom TV, you have to turn the sound down on the dashboard, and use the sound on the TV. Sound from the dashboard isn't strong enough to carry back to the bedroom. Can't have them both on, you get "conflict." There are two or three threads on this issue.....

The bathroom has a bathtub. Even though I have to sit with my knees to my chest, I do like the bathtub. Also tall enough to stand in for shower.

Oh yeah. Mine also came with BIGFOOT. GET THAT! YOU WILL LIKE IT!

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:45 PM   #5

We love ours so far, but it is tight on CCC, especially if you need to take any water. I would recommend the bunks, mainly because it will be better for resale than the desk model. Also, I opted away from the bigfoot system because it ate into the low CCC. So far our family of 6 are quite pleased.
Sun.ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 10:05 AM   #6

I owned one for three years and took it from Maine to the Grand Canyon and all the spots between! It was very reliable with just a few typical new RV bugs, we never had a major issue. The unit drove well and carried six people across the country. I would pass on the hydraulic levelers and over-cab entertainment system as the weight will reduce your cargo capacity. If you can, delete the carpet at the living area as it was a pain to keep clean and held dirt easily. I sold the camper to another forum member and its now in Alaska on a trip that started in NH. The new owner reported no real issues with the coach which confirms this model is built for extended travel.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:07 AM   #7

paulmlac bought my mine used did not have air bags. i just installed them a month ago
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:47 AM   #8

Love, love, love our 2013. Great layout for us. Really like that the couch is right by the dining room table. It is very roomy, even with 5 of us and three dogs.
There is tons of storage. We even have empty cabinets.
We had some early quality issues that were addressed by the dealer.
Overall, I would highly recommend the unit.
-- DW
Old 07-01-2013, 09:24 AM   #9
Commercial Member

As for TV quality. ALl the TV's are HD. They will pull in Over the Air signals beautifully.

Using a switch box to split that DVD signal to all those TV's is what diminishes the picture quality. It converts it back to analog. We're now wiring all the TV's directly if we can, or using the switch box to feed the bedroom TV only. Eventually we'll just have a separate DVD player back there and get rid of the switch box.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 03:56 PM   #10

MSP, please check your private messages regarding the sunseeker models...
4Gcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 06:57 PM   #11

We took delivery on March 28th. We have really enjoyed ours with no problems to speak of. We love the layout, especially for the grand kids.
Our trip to Disney was great. It has been out on 4 long weekends, seen some heavy weather and came through just fine. Taking it out to sons house for the weekend and will boondock.. This will finally test out the generator and pump system.
Hope these comments help in your decision. Good luck.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:15 PM   #12

Your comment that you will soon boondock prompted me to write this. We have a 2011 Sunseeker 3100 with the Onan generator.

For your information, Onan recommends breaking it in by running it at half load for two hours then 3/4 load for two more hours. If you haven't already, read the Onan owner's manual. It has lots of good information. You can download it from their web site. That's handy if you leave the manuals in the coach when it is in storage like I do.

Here's a tip for Sunseeker owners (may also work for other brands and/or Class A's) that you won't find any of the literature that came with your coach: The coach batteries supply the power to start the generator. If you are dry camping and run the coach batteries down, you can't start the generator to recharge them and to run the furnace, etc. However, if you start the chassis engine, the battery control center will connect the chassis battery to the coach's 12 volt system and you can then start the generator. Don't do like I did and forget to switch the chassis engine off! You can't hear it running with the generator running.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:28 PM   #13

We LOVE our 2011 3170DS. We are a family of 5 and this is the foor plan we'd been looking for in a motorhome for years. We had TT's before and I drove a big loud 3/4 ton Dodge diesel 90% of the time empty as my daily driver. We always wanted a motorhome but were stuck in the travel trailer bunkhouse floor plans for all the sleeping options for our kids and friends that come along.

Mine did not come with rear air bags or levelers...Cant say I miss them as all my previous TT never had them either. Regarding the air bags... This unit rides better than my Dodge...So Im Happy, Happy, Happy!
funfinder5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 08:43 PM   #14

Easy fix for the speaker "conflict". Turn the TV speakers off in the menu. Set the volume on the surround sound system to midway and use the tv volume control to adjust the volume. This also eliminates the audio buzz and subwoofer problems you may have heard about.
I could not imagine not having the bigfoot jacks. I have rarely seen a level site and you need something to stabilize the rig.