Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2016, 11:13 PM   #1

May want to check your rear view mirrors!

Since we took delivery of our 2017 2300 sunseeker there has been a rattle or squeak while driving that seems to have been coming from where the drivers side power mirror switches are located (ford E450) and if I put my hand on the black plastic pod that houses the mirror switches I could most of the time get it to stop..

Well today while running the wire up the A-pillar for my new scan gauge II (which I love) I decided to pull that black switch pod off the drivers door, only one screw holds it in place, and put some rubber edge molding on it to see if that would help with the squeak and I was surprised to find that out of the 3 bolts the secure the mirror to the door which are also located behind the switch pod only two of the bolts had nuts on them and the they were only hand tight and the middle bolt was missing the nut altogether! The bottom bolt on mine on both the drivers and passengers side had the ground wire for the electric mirrors attached to it and the nuts were so loose the wire on the drivers side had actually fallen off which would explain why the mirrors have always sounded like their motor wasn't getting enough power and after I hooked it back up and scuffed the paint up under the bolt to make a better ground connection the mirror motors now sound and act much better! On'the passenger side the same thing was found... Top bolt was somewhat tight, middle bolt missing the nut and the bottom bolt on that side had a different nut installed on it along with the ground wire and the nut is stripped so this weekend I'm going to have to clean the treads up on it and install the correct nut and tighten it down!

By all means this should be warranty work and I will bring it to their attention when I take it in this winter to get some other items fixed and adjusted but there's no way I could leave them like they were as they might have fallen off on our next trip and now that they are tight they are much more rigid and hopefully the squeak is gone as well, I'll find that out this weekend but just wanted to throw it out there that you guys may want to pull those covers off the inside of the doors and check those nuts, bolts and ground wires! It only takes a few minutes and on mine all that was needed to do the job was a Phillips screw drive for the drives side switch cover and a 11mm wrench or deep well socket!
Beards79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:16 AM   #2

I wondered why my passenger side mirror wiggled so much when we took delivery. I opened the panel & found they had apparently lost one of the nuts down the inside of the door, so grabbed another nut - a 1/4 inch nylock. But the studs are metric, not SAE. I pulled the entire arm & ran the proper sized die over the stud to restore the threads, then found a suitable nut/washer in my collection.
The mirror no longer wiggles like it did.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucemc View Post
I wondered why my passenger side mirror wiggled so much when we took delivery. I opened the panel & found they had apparently lost one of the nuts down the inside of the door, so grabbed another nut - a 1/4 inch nylock. But the studs are metric, not SAE. I pulled the entire arm & ran the proper sized die over the stud to restore the threads, then found a suitable nut/washer in my collection.
The mirror no longer wiggles like it did.
Yep that's what I'll be doing this weekend, they put a 1/4 nylock on the passenger side bottom most bolt on mine as well and it is stripped so I'll have to get that off then chase the threads and put the correct metric nut back on. Ridiculous!
Beards79 is offline   Reply With Quote