Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2017, 08:33 AM   #1

Michelin tire failure-not even 4 years old

The second day of our latest trip started off ok, but we quickly experienced severe, constant vibration through the seats and mirrors.
Pulled into a Loves and inspected the tires. Inside rear ps Michelin with 17,000 and a date code of 4013 had serious tread separation. Put the China spare tire on and got to our destination where I purchased a new Michelin and installed it and put the China tire back underneath.

This is a tire that is NOT EVEN 4 YEARS OLD!! I inflate the tires to 80 psi every time we take it out, keep the tires covered, use the rig once a month and never drive over 65 mph.

These tires are darn near at the maximum weight capacity they are rated for. These 30-32 foot C class rigs stress these tires to their maximum capacity with a corresponding failure rate, in my opinion.

Beware if you have a large C class E450 rig! If you feel a constant, steady vibration, better pull over asap before the tire completely blows and cause more serious damage.

BTW, this rig is a Sunseeker 3100SS loaded with just the normal kitchen/clothes/normal stuff. Not hauling any trailer or toad. Two people and a dog.
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 08:35 AM   #2

Here is a related thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...cs-116909.html

And another one regarding overweight C class rigs. This one was even delivered for road testing to a major magazine. Guess they aren't too concerned about safety issues.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ed-126600.html
Old 05-22-2017, 08:42 AM   #3

There was a recall on these tires. Contact man. and get the numbers of recalled tires date code. I had it on mine. Scary when a front tire goes square at 60 mph!
Old 05-22-2017, 08:43 AM   #4

Had two blow out before I found out about the recall.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:45 AM   #5

These tires not in the recall.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:48 AM   #6

Sorry to hear that. Maybe something happened during delivery and just showing up now. Since all mine have been replaced, all is good so far. I also tow a car trailer.
Old 05-22-2017, 12:13 PM   #7

Had the same happen to me. Call Michelin and they sent me to a dealer to have them check. ending up giving me credit to get new ones when up the rib series tire.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:03 PM   #8

Michlin tires

I went into Goodyear store and this is exactly what I said---"Do you have tires to fit a 36 foot motor home". He advised me he did. I went and advised him "I just got through buying 6 Michelin tires less than a year ago and just had the 3rd one blow out. The last one scared me because I was on 2 lane highway with a semi coming towards me and the left front tire blew out." I went ahead and said "I'm willing to take the loss and buy Goodyear, but if I have one more blow out I'm going to wreck the son-of-a-bitch on purpose and then sue Goodyear. Now let me ask you again, Do you have tires that will fit my motor home?" He assured me he did. That was 6 years ago. No problems since. I later visited a campground in Michigan and was telling my Michelin story. They ask me if I had seen the Michelin tree there in the campground. After asking what a Michelin tree was they explained several people had trouble with Michelin tires and since their warranty was almost useless they chose to nail their Michelin tires to a tree as advertisement for Michelin. My wife and I walked over to the tree. It was covered with Michelin tires from the bottom to 10 foot in the air. I wouldn't drive a bicycle with Michelin tires
sam2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:50 PM   #9

Cannot happen as those are not ST tires! I'm getting the popcorn popping now!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:05 AM   #10

Usually Michelin tires are not an issue. They have been around for many years. However there was a series that did have a recall, so as soon as I heard about this and got the series details I checked our class c motor home and fortunately they were not on the recall list.
One sure has to be watching for recalls on a lot of products these days.

Brandon2
2014 2500TS
Sun Seeker
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:20 PM   #11

TIRES

I don't know what to say re: tires! Are they all trying to kill us? At just 1,200 miles on my 2014 Wildwood, a blowout cost about $6,000 in repairs. Camping World did repairs, including 2 new axles. This weekend, after just 4,000 miles coming home, one of the bearings froze and put us at risk on the edge of an 80 mph highway for over 5 hours. Good Sam Travel left us there. Finally AAA Premium got us off the road. Now looking at another axle job at my expense because of poor workmanship!
JimMorrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:28 PM   #12

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMorrell View Post
I don't know what to say re: tires! Are they all trying to kill us? At just 1,200 miles on my 2014 Wildwood, a blowout cost about $6,000 in repairs. Camping World did repairs, including 2 new axles. This weekend, after just 4,000 miles coming home, one of the bearings froze and put us at risk on the edge of an 80 mph highway for over 5 hours. Good Sam Travel left us there. Finally AAA Premium got us off the road. Now looking at another axle job at my expense because of poor workmanship!
Just curious.....how is the blow out and the axle related? I understand the bearing and axle.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire