Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2014, 03:03 PM   #41
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVer View Post
Yeah I guess $40 bucks is cheap but I only have 3000 miles on them and the seeming simple task will have taken 10 hours of my time before it's done.
So you will jack up and block your rig, remove 7 tires and wheels, load them into a truck, drive to a tire shop, load them back into a truck, re-install them, unblock your rig for $40. Want a job here in Concord, NC? I can use some cheap labor at approx. $10/hr mowing my 1.5 acres of weeds and I'll furnish the Cub Cadet.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:18 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
So you will jack up and block your rig, remove 7 tires and wheels, load them into a truck, drive to a tire shop, load them back into a truck, re-install them, unblock your rig for $40. Want a job here in Concord, NC? I can use some cheap labor at approx. $10/hr mowing my 1.5 acres of weeds and I'll furnish the Cub Cadet.

LOL. $40 is for fuel to get to and from the shop and 10 hours is the time I wil have spent finding a place to do it and getting it done. I considered doing what you said but only as a last resort.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 03:31 PM   #43
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVer View Post
LOL. $40 is for fuel to get to and from the shop and 10 hours is the time I wil have spent finding a place to do it and getting it done. I considered doing what you said but only as a last resort.
The 10 hrs is already spent, just wondering about the $40 vs the labor involved to avoid spending the $40 for fuel.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:30 PM   #44

I just bought a used 2013 3170ds. It was built in 2012. I asked the dealer about the tire recall and he said these tires where exempt. I am looking at them and they are crazy weather checked. The dealer said they passed inspection and there was nothing else they could do. They appear to match the recall. Would this recall be valid for a second hand owner ? It still has what's left of the power train and 3 year 36000 warrantee. First post so thank you all.
Fozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:59 PM   #45

If the date codes are between 0210 to 2512 and the tires were built at the Nova Scotia plant (codes B3JH AKEX) you will be able to get them replaced at any Michelin or Ford dealer that can handle a rig of it's size. I had a lot of trouble finding a place that could handle a 3120.

Also it seems odd a unit that new has tires that are cracked and dry rotted. My unit was built in 2011 and it's tires look like new with no cracking or visible deterioration.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:08 PM   #46

I we did a full walk around last week on the RV took if for a test drive. The tires where wore but in good shape. Picked it up tonight and instantly noticed the rear tire where weather checked. Argued with them that this was not the case a week ago when we put a deposit down. They said I must have overlooked it and there was nothing they could do. Just went out side because this is bothering me so bad. Front tires are 3711. Which should be in the recall range. Rear tires are 2603. WTF, I new something was fishy. These tires are made in 2003. Any advice ? When do tires expire. It was just safety inspected and passes with a note on weather checked tires.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:26 PM   #47

Sounds like someone swapped tires after you last looked at it. I find it hard to believe 10 year old tires would be on it.

1999 Silverado with tow package

2006 Roo 23B hybrid

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:50 PM   #48

Fronts are probably the originals and as long as the plant build codes are correct they should be covered under the recall. The rears obviously were swapped out at some time. Not sure why unless the originals were recalled tires and failed before the recall came out. Kind of a judgement call by the inspection mechanic on the checking. He is putting his butt on the line by passing it with cracking but I don't think there is much you can do. It doesn't sound like the dealer is willing to work with you so you either have to walk away or just buy replacements yourself. I would be concerned with tires that old at superhighway speeds. If you only travel back roads at low speeds it may be worth the risk.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:51 PM   #49

Ok I looked again. There is no date stamp on the rear. The front have the letters and then the date stamp. After the date stamp it says 002603. On the rears there are the letters and no date stamp. It just says E2 002603. If there is no date stamp does that mean these tires are older than 2000 when the tire date was put into law? I think I got screwed. The spare is some geolander 3111.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:37 AM   #50

Tires have a lifetime of no more than 6 years even if they have tread left on them. Because the MH sits for long periods, the tires break down. Some show cracking on the sidewalls, others just fail on the road. No MH tire over 6 years old should "pass inspection". Unless the deal is so good that you can afford to replace the old tires immediately, I would walk away. On the rear tires, they are mounted facing in, so you may not be able to see all the DOT information without removing one.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:25 AM   #51

The date and plant codes are on the inside (between the tires) of the rears. Your can see them if you look carefully. Don't forget that if you already closed the deal on the unit most states have a 3 day rule for large purchases where you can cancel the deal and get all your money back if you want to walk away.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:13 PM   #52
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy View Post
Ok I looked again. There is no date stamp on the rear. The front have the letters and then the date stamp. After the date stamp it says 002603. On the rears there are the letters and no date stamp. It just says E2 002603. If there is no date stamp does that mean these tires are older than 2000 when the tire date was put into law? I think I got screwed. The spare is some geolander 3111.
It sounds like you are not reading the DOT serial but a different European spec number. ( E2 is European noise spec as I recall)

Find the "DOT" the 12 characters after the "DOT is the serial you want. The first 2 characters are the plant code. The last 4 are the date code.
Date code is only on one side of most tires so you may need to crawl under to check rears or possibly dismount the outside dual.
Learn how to "read" a tire HERE.
DOT serial date HERE

If your dealer wants to claim the tires are "OK" have him put it in writing. If he refuses I would take that as an indication he doesn't intend to stand behind his word.

Recall info and Michelin contact number HERE. Contact them if you can't find local dealer or have dealer refusing to replace tires.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:21 PM   #53

Thanks for the responses. My local tire store checked the numbers with Michelin and they all qualify. The bad news is they are 3-8 weeks back ordered and I have a trip coming up.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:39 AM   #54

Fozzy, I am dealing with the same issue you have on my 3170DS. The front tires have a date code within the range and the lettering on the tire exactly matches the font style in my michelin recall notice. But the 4 rear tires look different with the 002603 number following the plant code, plus these numbers are smaller on the rears. They don't show a date code like the front tires.

Yep, dealing with the back order too. Not sure if they will replace all 6 tires yet. We are leaving on a cross-country trip in 8 weeks, so I am running out of time. I will update this thread with more info when the tire dealer determines what they will replace.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:19 AM   #55
Commercial Member

To All
If you are having problems finding the complete DOT code please review posts on this forum or try these sites
Barry's Tire Tech
or HERE.

The serial is the series of numbers and letters that follow the "DOT". Competent tire manufacturers have this in letters at least 1/4" high on both sides of tires made in the past 10 years or so. The only exception is the last four numbers (date code) is only on one side. Now it is only a 50% chance that the date code ends up on the inside but it seems that unlike some car companies, people doing tire mounting for RVs seem to prefer hiding the full serial to the inside.

Second item. Tire retailers and those selling new RVs should be completing the forms to "register" the owner of the tires with the DOT serial. This would result in you receiving an automatic notification whenever there is a tire recall. If you have tires that are covered by a recall but didn't receive a notice in the mail then whoever sold you the tires failed to register your ownership. To me that indicates they are not really interested in servicing their customer needs but just interested in selling round black things.

You can check HERE if you want to register your tires.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 08:21 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt247 View Post
Fozzy, I am dealing with the same issue you have on my 3170DS. The front tires have a date code within the range and the lettering on the tire exactly matches the font style in my michelin recall notice. But the 4 rear tires look different with the 002603 number following the plant code, plus these numbers are smaller on the rears. They don't show a date code like the front tires.

Yep, dealing with the back order too. Not sure if they will replace all 6 tires yet. We are leaving on a cross-country trip in 8 weeks, so I am running out of time. I will update this thread with more info when the tire dealer determines what they will replace.
Your outer tire on the rear is facing inside out so you can't read the tire date without taking them off. Chances are if your front match the date codes, your back tires will also match.
2013leprechaun319dsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 04:50 PM   #57

I used my iPhones camera to reach into the center and took a crappy pic but I could read it was the same number as the fronts.

I bought mine used so it may be registered to someone else. The tire shop took my info so I hope they will honor it.
Old 05-09-2014, 06:53 PM   #58

We have a 3170 that had the recalled Michelin tires. We were sent a notification three or so months ago but forgot about it. We recently became concerned as a trip was coming up and called the closest Michelin dealer and he said it would be an eight week delay. They put our name on the waiting list. Called two or three other dealers and found one that had the tires in stock. The dealer did not need any paperwork, only the tires. If you have recalled tires, they will be replaced. Michelin doesn't care if you're the first or the 18th owner. It only want those tires off the road.
budblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 07:43 PM   #59

We are in Canada. I read about the recall on another forum and DH checked ours just in case. They were in fact the recalled tires. We had bought second hand so never got a recall notice. It took KAL Tire about 2 weeks to get the tires in after they verified the serial numbers. Had them installed and balanced totally free today. Feeling like we won the lottery!

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 09:48 AM   #60

I got my notest in the mail like Sept last year,, I called a Ford dealer close to where I keep my Coach at my Daughters house and set up a date to get the tires swapped.. They had 7 brand new Micheline's waiting for me and all it cost me was the time to drop it off and then to pick it up..
They only ended up changing the 6 as the spare was a General brand..
zook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recall, tire