Old 04-04-2014, 04:35 PM   #31
Average Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrys View Post
Good call, I only checked 1 tire. How can we find out the build date? The bill of sales says 2014 Sunseeker 2900. It sits on a Ford E450 with a manufactured date of 7/13. I only looked at one rear tire, they are duals also. Need to get back out there.
My gut tells me we should be OK. The tires affected were manufactured Jan 2010 to Jun 2012. The affected tires were on some 2013 E450's, but I believe they were the earlier ones. fingers crossed

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 04:38 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrys View Post
Good call, I only checked 1 tire. How can we find out the build date? The bill of sales says 2014 Sunseeker 2900. It sits on a Ford E450 with a manufactured date of 7/13. I only looked at one rear tire, they are duals also. Need to get back out there.

If your chassis was built 7/13 you would not likely have any tires within the recall since the end date was week 25 or 2012 a year before your Ford was built. They normally are only about a month before the build date of the chassis.

The fronts are easy to check the build date which is facing out but the rears are inside between the duals for both tires.

Old 04-27-2014, 03:02 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike & Molly View Post
I also got a letter from Michelin. All I needed was the letter and my local Michelin dealer replaced them free of charge. Mine were replace with the same size in a Uniroyal tire. Reason is - Michelin stopped making them and all that is left is what might be in stock through out the dealer network. You might wait a very long time for a Michelin if at all. Also the work was done at a Michelin Dealer.
Good luck to all.

I just had 7 Michelins replaced in my 2013 Leprechaun 319DSF. It took the Michelin dealer 7 weeks to get the tires in stock. They were replaced, mounted and balanced free of charge to me. Maybe now I can get on the road.
Old 04-27-2014, 03:25 PM   #34

I waited til now to get the tires replaced because I didn't want to take the RV out during winter. Unfortunately I'm running into problems finding a dealer interested in doing the recall. The tires are not available or they don't want to handle a vehicle that big. Even the local FORD dealer, who also sent me a recall notice, wouldn't do it because of the vehicle size. Traveling 50 miles each way to a place that will do it sucks because it will cost me $40 in fuel for something not my fault. Anyone have their expenses covered to and from the dealer? The local dealer said if I pulled the wheels and brought them in they would take care of it so that's probably what I will do.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:02 PM   #35

We just took our Sunseeker in to our local Ford dealer on April 16 and was told they would replace all 7 Michelin tires. We took in back in April 24 to have the new tires put on. They replaced 6 the spare wasn't a recall. The strange thing is we have never received any paperwork from Michelin telling us about the recall.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:25 PM   #36
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVer View Post
I waited til now to get the tires replaced because I didn't want to take the RV out during winter. Unfortunately I'm running into problems finding a dealer interested in doing the recall. The tires are not available or they don't want to handle a vehicle that big. Even the local FORD dealer, who also sent me a recall notice, wouldn't do it because of the vehicle size. Traveling 50 miles each way to a place that will do it sucks because it will cost me $40 in fuel for something not my fault. Anyone have their expenses covered to and from the dealer? The local dealer said if I pulled the wheels and brought them in they would take care of it so that's probably what I will do.
If your tires are covered by the recall Michelin wants them replaced as they have legal responsibility to do so. I suggest a phone call to Michelin Corporate and you will probably get action.
Michelin Contact US | Michelin Tires
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:02 AM   #37

Look on the bright side. $40 is cheap for new tires. We had 30000 miles on ours.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:25 AM   #38
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
Look on the bright side. $40 is cheap for new tires. We had 30000 miles on ours.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
I agree. You got 30,000 "Free miles" and all it "cost" you is a couple hours at tire dealership, which you would have had to do eventually anyway.

I am always amazed at how many people complain at a minor inconvenience when being given free tires.
I write a blog on RV tire application and safety and give seminars on tires at RV events across the US. 40 years experience as tire design & quality engineer for major tire mfg. Freelander 23QB on Chevy chassis is my RV
RV Tire Safety Blog
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:00 PM   #39

Well it took a while, but our machine now sets on a new set of Michelon tires. The tire guy had the same problem already mentioned in that the RV was 'too big' for him but we lent him our 4T jack and with his that was 8T capacity so he did it.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #40

Yeah I guess $40 bucks is cheap but I only have 3000 miles on them and the seeming simple task will have taken 10 hours of my time before it's done.

Tags
recall, tire