Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2014, 04:02 PM   #1

Michelin Tire Recall

I received a recall notice on the Michelin tries that came on my 2012 Sunseeker. However I have already replaced them and I need the DOT numbers of the tires to get reimbursed. Does anyone know if Forest River would have the records of that ? Also how would I contact them to find out. Not having much luck finding a phone number.

It is on a Ford chassis so not sure if tires came on it from Ford or from Sunseeker plant.

Any help appreciated
hankwilliamsjrjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:14 PM   #2
Site Team

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...read.php?t=372
Ive tried to put a link to a post that had some contact info.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Forest River Forums mobile app

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:16 PM   #3

When did you have them replaced?
Old 03-02-2014, 05:08 PM   #4

I doubt Forest River would have any records on the tires other than the spare which they supply. The tires on the chassis are supplied by Ford or installed by Ford when the chassis is built. The recall notice I believe was generated from Ford data on what tires they think were used on the chassis you bought with the motorhome. Since you have a 2102 model motor home you probably have a 2011 Ford chassis. My 2012 built in November 2011 is on a 2011 chassis and has tires dated within the recall period.

If you had the tires replaced due to the condition of this recall you likely can get reimbursed. The recall terms talk about that situation.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:34 PM   #5

I have a 2013 Sunseeker built on a 2012 Ford E-450 chassis. My tires are affected - LTX M/S LT225/75R16 115/112R LRE (0210 to 2512 date code). I spoke with Michelin, the replacement tires they suggest (LTX M/S2 LT225/75R16 115/112R LRE) are non-existent nation-wide for the most part. They also suggest a BF Goodrich and a Uniroyal (owned by Michelin) as replacements, but they too in many cases are unavailable. The recall affects 1.2 million tires. I had to go with a third party tire, Michelin will ok it as they know replacement tires are becoming scarce.
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:49 PM   #6

Most recalls will only reimburse if the product is still in use or they were replaced because of a defect reason which is the same for the recall
Old 03-03-2014, 09:00 PM   #7

Man i don't want to hear there is a replacement tire shortage right now. Took my 2014 Sunseeker in for some due bill stuff last week and asked if they could handle the tire recall while installing those tire blowout rings things and they said NOPE. Wheels and tires are off. I assume all they need to do is call ford and exchange the tires i assume. I would even do the driving. But nope. Have to take it to Ford. I am starting to really wish i would have went somewhere else and bought it. Long story
parpar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQ2N View Post
I have a 2013 Sunseeker built on a 2012 Ford E-450 chassis. My tires are affected - LTX M/S LT225/75R16 115/112R LRE (0210 to 2512 date code). I spoke with Michelin, the replacement tires they suggest (LTX M/S2 LT225/75R16 115/112R LRE) are non-existent nation-wide for the most part. They also suggest a BF Goodrich and a Uniroyal (owned by Michelin) as replacements, but they too in many cases are unavailable. The recall affects 1.2 million tires. I had to go with a third party tire, Michelin will ok it as they know replacement tires are becoming scarce.
That's good to hear because I want the replacements to have white letters to set off the black and silver alloys I will be installing with this change.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:30 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankwilliamsjrjr View Post
I received a recall notice on the Michelin tries that came on my 2012 Sunseeker. However I have already replaced them and I need the DOT numbers of the tires to get reimbursed. Does anyone know if Forest River would have the records of that ? Also how would I contact them to find out. Not having much luck finding a phone number.

It is on a Ford chassis so not sure if tires came on it from Ford or from Sunseeker plant.

Any help appreciated
If you already had them replaced on a 2012, I suppose you had some problems with them and replaced on a 'pro-rated' basis?

The tire dealer that changed them out probably had contact with Michelin at that time.
If you have not, I would call Michelin and see if it is in their records.
They were very helpful with mine.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:39 AM   #10

parpar1, perhaps it depends on where you live, but tires a no go here. Thing is I leave for Florida in 12 days, although I'm on a waiting list, I don't have a prayer to ever see the Michelins before my departure date. My tire dealer did find the same size tire (Cooper/Mastercraft) in all respects (except a 60,000 mile tread warranty vs Michelin's 70,000) and there were only 6 of them left in the warehouse! They're now at the tire shop awating a "warm day" (above 0!) to install them since they'll have to be installed outside with a jack. In all my phone calls to Michelin, they realize the impact of the recall. FR was also great in returning my phone call, although the issue is not with them, but Michelin and Ford. Ford Customer Service said no chassis are now leaving the plant until the Michelins arrive. I would think with their buying power, they would receive tires before any consumer. Ford and Michelin both were quite adamant about NOT traveling with the recalled tires.
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:18 AM   #11

I purchased mine in 2013 (2014 model), how would I know if my tires were recalled?
Sun.ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 11:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.wiseman View Post
I purchased mine in 2013 (2014 model), how would I know if my tires were recalled?
My dealer has some copies of the recall in their service dept. It has the details showing the tire size, rating... So you can check your tires.

Sorry i dont have more. Call your service dept or calling Ford service Dept is probably easiest

I am freaking out a little bit now that i read, earlier post, they recommend no road trips if you are affected.

EDIT: i just found this. i am not 100% sure this is the right one. they had two posted. This one read like it could be the right one.
http://www.michelinman.com/safety-recall.page
parpar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 12:53 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad.wiseman View Post
Mine is 2014 made in 2013 model also, I am hopeful it does not have a 2012 tire on it. Planning to remove from storage this weekend to find out.
bubbleup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:47 PM   #14
ETF

I received the recall notice from Michelin. I checked the ties on my 2013 Forester but it doesn't appear that mine fall within the recall date. It's going in to Ford in a couple of weeks for its 5K service so I'll have them check just to be sure.
ETF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 12:45 PM   #15

I guess I was just lucky time wise when one of my inner duals blew out on my 2011 3170DS (2010 Ford frame) during our Christmas travels. Road side service changed out the tire for the spare and the guy hinted to me to take the blowout to a Michelin tire dealer for inspection as he thought it looked like tread separation (when it went it sounded like a gun shot).

Upon getting to our destination I took the whole RV over to the towns only Michelin tire shop (small town), only because I was being lazy and wanted them to change out the spare once I got a new tire put on the blowout.

The tire shop guy took one look at the blowout and said the same thing... that it was a defect and blew due to tread separation. He glanced at the tire size and popped up and said he had to go check something. Came back with paper work from Michelin to all the tire dealers giving them early notice of the recall that would be announced and sent to all known owners soon. He recorded all the DOT codes from all my tires, went back inside to order them, then told me to come back tomorrow at 8am and they'd install 6 new tires for me FREE of charge!

For the first time in my life, I can say I was in the front of the line and not the back! :-)
Old 03-07-2014, 08:54 PM   #16

We got seven new Michelin replacements yesterday. Our vehicle is a 2011 Sunseeker and all tires qualified even the spare. Luckily, we were camping near Kingman, AZ and the Discount tire store had just received a shipment. They were fast and efficient and we were happy to get a full set of tires for no cost.

Prior to going to Kingman, I called Michelin and they were super nice and told me that they really want those tires off the road as soon as possible. Ours needed to be replaced anyhow so it worked well for us.

BTW, I did not get a letter. Thanks to this forum I discovered the recall.

stonekeepers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2014, 10:54 PM   #17

I was told the Michelin tires were out of stock in the San Diego area. I then filed a complaint with the NTSB. A couple weeks later the tire dealer got in a shipment and I received 6 new Michelin tires.
Get your name on a waiting list, demand the Michelins, file complaint.
davegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 10:50 AM   #18

Davegood we are in San Diego, haven't made the first move yet to get new tires. Who did you call? Do we have to give fire specs or just call,say , discount tire and tell them the situation? Thanks.
javelins6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2014, 11:29 AM   #19

TCI Tire Center 12208 Industry Rd, Lakeside, CA 92040 (619) 596-8473
They were good enough to take my name and contact me when the tires arrived.

Old 03-08-2014, 11:33 AM   #20

Sorry for the incomplete response.
I had the recall notice, as did they. I knew the front tires were within the recall. Could not check the rear because they are mounted backwards. Luckily they were the same.
Discount Tire were out of stock and they never called me.

Tags
recall, tire