View Poll Results: Is it normal for AC and Microwave to trip circuit breaker?
Yes, its just how it is. 43 57.33%
No, the dealer is full of it. 32 42.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2015, 10:14 AM   #91

Concerned newbie here. I read this entire post with interest. I'm on the brink of ordering a Forester 3011DS and after this thread I'm going to try to get it with 50 amp service, a surge protector and large inverter. I don't want things to go south when I have to have my coffee maker and toaster oven working in the morning on a hot day. Gotta have the news on TV too. It is Sunday so I can't call FR and ask if I can get any or all 3 of these items. Does anyone know if FR offers these or do I have to deal with the stealership to add them on the new coach.
Thanks

Old 07-26-2015, 10:20 AM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhart View Post
Concerned newbie here. I read this entire post with interest. I'm on the brink of ordering a Forester 3011DS and after this thread I'm going to try to get it with 50 amp service, a surge protector and large inverter. I don't want things to go south when I have to have my coffee maker and toaster oven working in the morning on a hot day. Gotta have the news on TV too. It is Sunday so I can't call FR and ask if I can get any or all 3 of these items. Does anyone know if FR offers these or do I have to deal with the stealership to add them on the new coach.
Thanks
I picked up mine two weeks ago and now I wish I had thought of it. The only advice I can give is that if it is a dealer installed option, I would make sure my dealer is someone I want to pay that kind of money to. I found an awesome RV mechanic who will be getting all my work in the future - once the dealer fixes all the stuff on my huge list of repairs needed when I picked it up.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese
DoctorT68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:50 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgilly View Post
Jim, converter models have varying ranges of DC amp output that is dependent on the components inside the converter - primarily the transformer. But the fascinating thing is the input current ranges 500 watts (for a 30 amp DC output) to 20 amps (for a 80 amp DC output). The "beefier" the transformer, the more DC load work it can do.
Think of automotive battery chargers; you can boost start with a 100+ DC amps from a 20 AC amp outlet.

Progressive Dynamics has a good FAQ area on how converters work: FAQs About Power Converters/Chargers.

Bobby
When I worked in a steel mill most of our control circuits were 250 VDC. Some were as high as 600 volts. They could be very dangerous and you needed to be careful! Many people do not realize it but a car battery can kill you. It is not the voltage but the amperage that will do you in. Take a shock from one hand to the other, which may pass thru the heart, and you may not wake up.

Assuming my Parallax converter works the same as the Progressive converters work it is capable of putting out 30 amps as the high charge rate dropping down to a trickle charge when a high rate is not necessary.

I guess the old saying, curiosity killed the cat, is true. I wish they would put a breaker or fuse on the front of the panel for the protection of the charging section of the converter. I also would like to see a volt and amp meter on the front so we could tell what is happening. The "idiot" lights the trailer manufactures give us is a start but often not accurate. I have an inexpensive volt meter I have connected to my batteries so I can moniter them when necessary.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 11:01 AM   #94

Quote:
Thanks
A note about the large inverter. If you plan on running all these things off an inverter do not forget to add 2 or 3 more batteries. You may also consider a large solar system to keep the batteries charged.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 12:09 PM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorT68 View Post
I picked up mine two weeks ago and now I wish I had thought of it. The only advice I can give is that if it is a dealer installed option, I would make sure my dealer is someone I want to pay that kind of money to. I found an awesome RV mechanic who will be getting all my work in the future - once the dealer fixes all the stuff on my huge list of repairs needed when I picked it up.
Thanks Doc. Your awesome RV mech doesn't happen to be close to Newport Beach CA per chance??
Old 07-26-2015, 12:10 PM   #96

OK Jim, you said it, so this time I will stay off my PRO SOLAR rant. For voltage, amperage and charge status, there are really neat, costly panels you can buy, but just to Futz around with things there tons of inexpensive Chinese meters available on line, mostly EBay. Or go to Monoprice.com. they have bunches of inexpensive china toys, warehoused in the USA.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:13 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
A note about the large inverter. If you plan on running all these things off an inverter do not forget to add 2 or 3 more batteries. You may also consider a large solar system to keep the batteries charged.

Jim
Ah, good tip oldtool. Aside from weight is there any downside to a few more batteries? Prob a good idea anyway since we plan to do a good bit of dry camping.
Old 07-26-2015, 02:52 PM   #98
Citrus County, Fl.

Quote:
I'm going to try to get it with 50 amp service, a surge protector and large inverter. I don't want things to go south when I have to have my coffee maker and toaster oven working in the morning on a hot day. Gotta have the news on TV too. It is Sunday so I can't call FR and ask if I can get any or all 3 of these items. Does anyone know if FR offers these or do I have to deal with the stealership to add them on the new coach.
Thanks
FR does not offer 50 amp service on the Forester/Sunseeker, nor do they offer an electrical management system (surge protector) or an inverter to my knowledge. I just installed the hard wired Progressive Industries 30 amp ems this week that I bought from Best RV supplies for around $235 and it is fairly easy if you plan ahead ( I can go into those details later if you want to do that). If you are dry camping on a hot day with the ac on, get your coffee going, shut it off to run the toaster oven and then plug the coffee back in. A solar charger might be nice to have if you are going to do a lot of that and would work good in conjunction with an inverter. May check with Joshua Cavitt on here and see if they can put in the pre wire for the solar. I see they are coming pre-wired now on some of the Rockwood/Flagstaff travel trailers.

Another thought, if you are in a campground you can always run an extension cord to the 20 amp on the pedestal and run your coffee maker outside on the table. We always did that with our electric griddle as we would always trip a breaker if I ran it off the outside receptacle on our old travel trailer.
99 Terry 31G
GL1800Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:13 PM   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by GL1800Rider View Post
FR does not offer 50 amp service on the Forester/Sunseeker, nor do they offer an electrical management system (surge protector) or an inverter to my knowledge. I just installed the hard wired Progressive Industries 30 amp ems this week that I bought from Best RV supplies for around $235 and it is fairly easy if you plan ahead ( I can go into those details later if you want to do that). If you are dry camping on a hot day with the ac on, get your coffee going, shut it off to run the toaster oven and then plug the coffee back in. A solar charger might be nice to have if you are going to do a lot of that and would work good in conjunction with an inverter. May check with Joshua Cavitt on here and see if they can put in the pre wire for the solar. I see they are coming pre-wired now on some of the Rockwood/Flagstaff travel trailers.

Another thought, if you are in a campground you can always run an extension cord to the 20 amp on the pedestal and run your coffee maker outside on the table. We always did that with our electric griddle as we would always trip a breaker if I ran it off the outside receptacle on our old travel trailer.
Hello Rider
I sent a query to Joshua. Have not heard back as yet. I would love to see the details on the ems. It looks like you are in the area I'm heading to in FL. as soon as I extract myself from the Peoples Republic of Calif. Interesting you are driving the same coach I'm after. I'll let you know when I hear back from Joshua. How was your delivery experience? Maybe I can buy you a drink and pick your brain on living in Hernando area someday. Planning on relocating next year.
Rick
Old 07-26-2015, 11:19 PM   #100
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
Bobby,

I am not so much concerned as I am curious. I know for a fact that what you are stating is true. When you, or I, look at the panel in my trailer we think it is a 55 amp panel. Even the manufacture leads us to believe this in their literature. We know this is not true if we read all the literatre they have posted. It is a 30 amp VAC panel. The converter is capable of putting out more than 30 amps though. Is it capable of 55 VDC amps, is that where they get te 55 from? That is what I suspect. I do know it can put out 30 DC amps charge rate. That is why there are 30 amp fuses in the converter and a foot away from the batteries.

Now assuming this converter can produce 55 DC amps that leaves us with 25 amps to use in the fuse block. I don't want my load in the trailer to ever exceed that if I am right. If I want to add something I now know what I have to work with, 25 amps. But no where does the manufacture tell us this.

The other thing I would like to know is what is the amperage draw when the converter is putting out a 30 amp charge, or a 15 amp charge, and so forth. I don't see any fuse or AC breaker that is for the converter. I am assuming it is protected somewhere but I don't see it and don't see it mentioned anywhere in the literature. I would guess it is a fuse on the line in feeding the converter itself.

Jim
When your figuring power usage the formula is: volts X amps = watts. So if you have 120v X 30a =3600watts, or 12v X 300a = 3600 watts. Watts is like gallons of water that came out of the hose depending size & pressure. When you have a 30 amp service in your RV means your max is 3600 watts. So if your a converter is 50 amp that means 12v X 50a = 600 watts output and input is 120v X 5a = 600 watts. The higher voltage means lower amperages or lower voltage means higher amps. So a converter input amp could 5 amps AC and the output would be 50 amp DC when you comvert the voltage.

2015 129 nites
2016 63 nites
elind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
breaker, dealer