Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2019, 01:32 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 9
Mileage expectations for 2018 Sunseeker MBS 2400r

I've got a 2018 Forest River Sunseeker MBS 2400R. I read that the miles per gallon could be as much as 18 mpg. The best I have gotten is around 12 mpg and that is without the rig loaded and without towing anything. It usually runs around 10 to 11 mpg. I'd like to know what others that are driving a Class C on a Mercedes Benz Sprinter Chassis are getting. Thank you!
__________________

kim76442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 02:06 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
AudiDudi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Western Montana
Posts: 535
in my 2016 Prism 24G I have had a high of just over 17mpg and a low in the 12.8mpg range. The 12 was towing at 8000+ ft elev in the snow. Typical with the toad (2015 Sonic hatchback on the ACME dolly) is just under 15mpg and with no toad a little over 16mpg. It depends a lot of the terrain and the wind. I typically drive 60-62 mph.
__________________

__________________

Mike and JoAnne
Montana Summer / Arizona Winter
2016 Prism 24G /2002 HitchHiker 38LKTG
ACME EZTowing a 2015 Chevy Sonic RS Hatchback
AudiDudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:09 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
CharSolera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 208
I have a 2014 Solera MBS and average 15 MPG. But I don't travel fast (you've probably passed me). Best was 19.74 with a tail wind (whee!) and worst was 11.81 with a strong head wind. Wind, speed and load have a lot to do with mileage (I don't tow).
__________________
Charlene
and catpanions, Purrl & Lucy Lu
2014 Solera 24S
CharSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:35 AM   #4
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 5
18

I get 17 - 18 MPG with a 2012 First River Solera 24S, if I keep it at or below 55 MPH.


The older Mercedes with the 5 cylinder engines get 20+ MPG, but they don't have the diesel particular filter system. DPF is a good thing (it significantly reduces soot, smell, and diesel carcinogenic emissions), but it comes with some maintenance issues. One, you have to use Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF), and Two, you have to limit short trips because the emissions system requires time to get up to temperature to burn the soot away. Failing to do this becomes quite costly to repair.



I bought this RV specifically for the fuel efficiency and for more headroom. I don't have a problem with the DPF for all the good that it does, and really like that it doesn't stink like so many older diesels.



Keeping your speed below 55 reduces bearing and tire temperature by as much as half, comparing to 70+ MPH (due to square law). And it's so much more comfortable to drive.
nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:42 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
DieselDrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Monticello, IL
Posts: 1,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim76442 View Post
I've got a 2018 Forest River Sunseeker MBS 2400R. I read that the miles per gallon could be as much as 18 mpg. The best I have gotten is around 12 mpg and that is without the rig loaded and without towing anything. It usually runs around 10 to 11 mpg. I'd like to know what others that are driving a Class C on a Mercedes Benz Sprinter Chassis are getting. Thank you!
Sounds like you're either driving in mountains or at 75MPH on the freeway. Can't do much about mountains, but if you're going 75MPH then slow down. Fuel economy and speed/wind resistance are tightly coupled. The difference in fuel economy between 60-65MPH and 75MPH when driving a rolling brick is massive.

Seems folks leave speed out of their MPG questions, not sure why or if they expect to get good fuel economy on the freeway no matter what speed they drive?
__________________
2017 GMC Canyon - CCLB, 4x4, 2.8L Duramax, ARE Z-series shell
2013 Shamrock 21SS
DieselDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:23 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 228
We have a 2016 Sunseeker MBS 2400w. We average 13-14mpg. It doesn't seem to matter what we do its consistent. We flat tow a 2015 Honda Fit. I've been looking for those 17-18 mpg numbers never have seen them. Lol
Desertsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:32 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by kim76442 View Post
I've got a 2018 Forest River Sunseeker MBS 2400R. I read that the miles per gallon could be as much as 18 mpg. The best I have gotten is around 12 mpg and that is without the rig loaded and without towing anything. It usually runs around 10 to 11 mpg. I'd like to know what others that are driving a Class C on a Mercedes Benz Sprinter Chassis are getting. Thank you!

I have a Sunseeker 25TS and get 10 to 12 highway miles per gallon
__________________
Pete
papakilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 01:41 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: On the Amite River
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertsquid View Post
We have a 2016 Sunseeker MBS 2400w. We average 13-14mpg. It doesn't seem to matter what we do its consistent. We flat tow a 2015 Honda Fit. I've been looking for those 17-18 mpg numbers never have seen them. Lol
We have a 2018 Sunseeker MBS 2400W. We average 11-12mpg. We flat tow a 2013 Jeep Liberty. With the Jeep 11+ without 12+.
michael.wehrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:45 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 9
I drive around 60-65 mph.
kim76442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 02:48 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 9
Driving Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
Sounds like you're either driving in mountains or at 75MPH on the freeway. Can't do much about mountains, but if you're going 75MPH then slow down. Fuel economy and speed/wind resistance are tightly coupled. The difference in fuel economy between 60-65MPH and 75MPH when driving a rolling brick is massive.

Seems folks leave speed out of their MPG questions, not sure why or if they expect to get good fuel economy on the freeway no matter what speed they drive?
Thank you for the information. I'm sorry I left out my speed earlier. I drive between 60 & 65 mph, no mountains, not towing anything.
__________________

kim76442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mileage, sunseeker

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 AM.