Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2014, 08:29 PM   #1

Motorhome wiring question

I plan to add a 12 Volt jack in the bathroom with a 20 Amp fuse to operate a small hair dryer. Am trying to find a good 12 Volt source for the supply. I noticed there are unused fuse slots in the panel in the entry well, including fuses that would be for slides (the 2900 has no slides) and others. What I need is to find where one of these wires goes, splice onto it and run to the desired location, install a fuse, and then The Missus can use the small hair dryer for a touch-up, and all is well in the world. Does anyone have any idea where those wires might go? I looked under the Convenience Center but did not see any unused wires.

Thank you all!
Starry2some is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 02:24 PM   #2
Commercial Member

You can tie into the 12V fan or the 12V lighting or run a whole new line from the fuse panel to the sink base.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 03:23 PM   #3

Or do what I do for the wife. Run the genny in the mornings while she's doing her hair. I take this time to brew a pot of coffee too.

BTW, 12v hair dryers take forever which = upset wife early in the morning.
Old 10-06-2014, 03:58 PM   #4

Brian, I was hoping for a dedicated line that would support ~12 Amps with minimal voltage drop, and the light/fan wire looks a bit light.
Funfinder, the 12V hair dryer is only for minor touch-ups, they don't have much power. And avoiding the generator is a goal of mine, hope to add solar PV and an inverter this winter and she then has the option of either dryer at any time.
Thanks for replying!
Old 10-06-2014, 06:51 PM   #5

Have you looked in the power distribution center for an unused 12 volt fuse spot?
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 07:04 PM   #6

RamblerGuy, there are blanks where (presumably) I can add a fuse and run the wire, but I was hoping to avoid running the wire - yeah, I know, that's lazy, but if a large gauge wire already runs from the fuse block by the steps to the Convenience Center for a slide we don't have, why not repurpose that wire? It probably will be a perfectly fine solution, I just noticed those wires that are not in use and would rather put them to work than run additional ones. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 10-06-2014, 07:41 PM   #7

Yes, indeed, the first approach would be to find a wire that is already where you need it.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome, wiring