Old 07-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #1
Question Mpg

When we bought our 2013 3010 DS, we were told we should average about 12 - 13 mpg. I thought that was a bit optimistic.
After several trips I found we average 8 - 8.5 mpg.
That on fairly level roads (interstates) driving between 60 - 65 miles per hour, and not overloaded. We have the Ford V10 - engine and use the cruise control as much as possible.
I'd be interested to know what some of you guys out there average.
By the way, there is less than 2,000 miles on the engine. I'm hoping that will improve once the engine gets broken in a little more.

Mike & Molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #2
Originally Posted by Mike & Molly View Post
When we bought our 2013 3010 DS, we were told we should average about 12 - 13 mpg. I thought that was a bit optimistic.
After several trips I found we average 8 - 8.5 mpg.
Optimistic is being kind! I get about 8 mpg with my new 3050S while pulling a toad.

2014 Sunseeker 3050S
Honda CRV (TOAD)
wesslvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
I doubt you'd EVER get 12-13mpg, even unloaded, no toad, and empty tanks! I think when someone asks a salesman "what kind of mileage does it get" that's a trigger for the salesman that mileage is very important, so naturally - like most salesmen - they bump it up a bit, in your case by about 25%

Our salesman only fudged by maybe 10% or so when we bought our Solera - he said 16-17mpg, and we've been getting mostly 13.5-15. Of course, at my ripe old age I've heard all the fibs, and don't believe any of them. I don't know anyone who's been getting 16mpg with their Solera.

That being said, your driving style can impact the mileage greatly. A light load, a light foot, downshifting on hills to stay within the torque curve, maintaining constant speeds if possible - all have a bearing. You'd be surprised at how much weight you can add to a coach with just what we consider "essentials" which aren't really essential! I installed ScanGauge on my Solera, and it really helps in maximizing mileage (and alerting to any problems with engine, etc.).

Ed (N4RWU) & Becky Taylor
Mistie (Walks 4-down)
Greensboro, NC
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
Wow, 12-13. I correct every salesperson I hear saying that.

I typically say "8-10. I have heard as high as 12...but I'm guessing that was downhill"
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
Camper Less Camping
Your current mpg's sound right for the gasser...if you had a diesel engine powertrain, I'd say you would get that 12mpg in that model layout.

As others stated, salesman stretched that answer a bit to you.
2013 Sabre 32RCTS-6 (sold)
Family of 4 whose always on the GEAUX!
Cajun Po-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:42 PM   #6
My #3051S currently on it's first trip is getting 8.34, 7.65 & 8.10 on fill-ups during the 700 miles. But, I am heavy and towing a Toyoda Tacoma pickup that weighted in at 4440 lbs on the Pilot truck scale. I was averaging 9.0 on my 40 foot Diesel Pusher now traded in for a this Class "C".

BTW...I hope to lighten my load a few hundred pounds. Plus have ordered a water meter to accurately gauge the amount of water I am carrying. The LED tanks lights are just not providing me enough information.

2013 Forester #3051SF
2009 Toyoda Tacoma (toad)
2010 Newmar Dutchstar (Sold)
2011 Fleetwood Bounder (Sold)
trwmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
Incheon, S. Korea
We got between 7 and 8 on our rental 31' Coachmen. I was averaging 65, though. No difference in mileage by using premium, either.
What do they say? Uphill, downhill, engine on, engine off... LOL
Me, Julie, Lil' Barry, Faith, and OSDs, Fang and Treaty
2003 Hyundai Starex (H1), 2012 Coachmen Clipper 126
I don't know when we'll be able to go camping again...
BigBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:14 PM   #8
3100. Best barometer is spring break trip from Cincinnati to Disney in Florida. Some hills in Kentucky and Tennessee. Kept it around 65 MPH (with some 70 MPH). No toad. Bike rack on back with 4 bikes. Fresh tank was a third full. A lot of stuff (wife thought the sinks in the unit weren't enough so threw in the kitchen sink!). Averaged 7.7 MPG. Had a couple tanks in the high 6's and a couple in the low 8's.
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:43 PM   #9
Mega Member
Yes, I agree....your experience is what you can expect. I have a 3100 (Ford V10) and on a recent trip from Texas (Houston) to Florida (Disney) and back, we averaged 7.8 -8.1.
rgarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:50 PM   #10
Just finished a 2000 mile trip pulling a car on a dolly, total weight about 3500 lbs. My speed was normally in the 60 range and I got 8.7 mpg with a 3120.

ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote