Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2015, 12:37 PM   #1

Mystery Radio

OK, so we are camped in a quiet campsite at nite and I am hearing static coming from the kitchen sink. I investigate and find that the outside radio turned itself on but had no station. I go out and turn it off and it stays off until it seems the next time we plug in to a outlet. We never use the radio so I have now disconnected the power to it but would like to figure out why it does that.
Does anyone have any ideas?
TSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:42 PM   #2

I believe the problem is that when you hit the power button real quick it just puts it in mute. Keep it pushed in for a few seconds and it will turn it off. The same thing was happening to me and that seemed to be the problem.
Brian217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:46 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

You can also check to see if you have an alarm setting on the radio. That has been known to cause ghost radio turn ons.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:07 PM   #4

You are not in this boat by yourself. This topic had been discussed without resolution. I just found a channel I like and turn it down low. Happens from time to time. We use ours, so I did not turn off power. The off button is an off button, no alarm feature, checked all wiring. We now call it 'The Grimlin'.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 09:43 AM   #5

It is not really a problem other than design and use. : Newer radios, TV's, etc have basically TWO power lines. One called the "keep alive" and one the normal on/off. In normal use, you turn the radio off with the on/off power button. The radio goes to sleep. The keep alive voltage is still there and it maintains, the clock, channel presets, volume level etc. forever. In an RV, when we shut them down they usually shut off the "keep alive 12V" line also. So after a few hours (or days) the radio completely loses it's "mind". So when you turn on the main power to the RV, the radio wakes up with a completely new "mind". That means it will come up to whatever the manufacture set as the default (or maybe just a random condition). They could keep 12V on the "keep alive" line but there is a slight current draw and after a few weeks of storage your battery might die.
So nothing is wrong. It is just the way it works. BTW, if you turn off all the power to your house at the mains for a few days and then turn it on, you will also experience a few anomalies. Same with your car at the car battery..
Jim Schings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 11:55 AM   #6

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments. I will have to check them out and report back if I figure anything out.
TSman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:02 PM   #7

Had the same problem, Found when i parked it by a neighbors home it was being turned on daily. Moved it and it has never happened again, Figured out later there remote for there Bose was turning my outside radio on. She turned on her Bose radio every day to listen to her music.
Kevin & Judy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radio