Old 02-07-2016, 11:56 PM   #1

need for tow vehicle

we are planning a 6-= week trip to Utah/ the national parks in the area. It's almost 1600mi from Here in Tn and I am not sure I want to drag my car that far and only use it a short time. Our MH is 25 ft and would be easy to see the sights in. There will only be the 2 of us and the dogs. Will be staying in NP cg most of the time without hook-ups. Your thoughts please.

daywalker567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:04 AM   #2
2012 Solera

Have visited the Utah parks several times with our Solera without a toad. Had no issues.

JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:39 PM   #3

Should be OK. You may need to post something in your site to let others know you are still using it. There should be a ticket mounted on the site showing "reserved" however people have been known to take those down and then you get to argue with them (also the CG should not re-rent it to someone else but they might convince the CG you split - may want to let the office know you're coming back...). This should be less of an issue in a NP vs. say a national forest where it's more free range-ish (by which I mean there may be no ranger around to help resolve the issue).

Another option would be to rent a car locally in Cedar City or wherever you will be closest to. Cedar City has three agencies, at least, and there are several around St. George too.

Another option - day rentals, for example: 4x4 Jeep Rentals - Capitol Reef - Utah
Old 02-08-2016, 09:50 PM   #4

You might try Uber, too. Don't know much about it, but it seems to be all the rage.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 09:57 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to NoviBill
I am guessing you will have no major issues. We are doing similar (26' Lexington) , Yellowstone & Glacier over 3 weeks without a toad. What I figure is I can rent a car for 3+ weeks for the price of adding a toad (brake buddy, tow dolly or tow bar etc). That does not include the pain, cost and wear and tear of dragging the car when I don't need it.

One major issues in the summer is parking, if you stay on easter standard time and get out in the morning hitting the key sites first you will be fine.
=================================
http://anunbalancedbalance.blogspot.com/
NoviBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:48 PM   #6

We took a 31' around Yellowstone and you can get around OK but you may find an occasional visiting site lot that is too full to be able to park in comfortably. That park is large enough that you can move on to another site and come back later. On the roads you have to use the occasional pull-overs to let traffic go by. In some places you may want to pull off to a lookout, but in other places there are designated pull-off slots for RVs/trailers to let others go by and get off your tail - these are more easy-off, easy-on than having to pull into a lookout.
Old 02-09-2016, 07:21 AM   #7

We are doing the same Ute trip plus yosemite and PC1 w/ no toad . East towed -yes west coast -no. Our west coast trip w/ no towed will be great in the mountains and in Cal. traffic.BTW our S.S. is 24'- we love it !
Old 02-09-2016, 08:07 AM   #8

We did the same trip in sept last year. Spent a month on the road and 11,000 km. No toad, just 2 bikes. Great time riding (gently, no mtn biking for us) around the 5 big Utah parks and through Vegas. You see a lot more from the saddle than you would the drivers seat. And parking/access is way better. In some places access was limited to 25'. Our Solera is 24' so we had no issues. Add a toad and you're gonna have some limitations.
backdoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 11:24 AM   #9

We have a 25' C. So far with 13,000 miles we have not had a toad. We are on a trip now. Earlier on this trip we were convinced it was time for a toad. But now we have settled into our routine, and we are not so sure. It's actually quite easy to break camp, and to drive the vehicle in town.

Some quick tips:
-Use your fresh water tank instead of connecting a hose.
-Only connect to a sewer hookup when you need to dump.
-Spend some time thinking about how to store frequently needed items readily available in plain sight. Then buy some plastic bins to do it. Some of ours we bought in the Wal-Mart bathroom section, and some in office supply stores.
-Last, develop the habit of putting things away instead of just them down. When I stop using the ipad, I don't put it on the table. I put it in the bin in the overhead bunk where it stores. Believe me, this is a change for me, lol.
-Have a printed checklist for breaking camp, so you don't drive off with your antenna up, etc.
-Don't use leveling blocks unless truly necessary to protect your fridge. The fridge can tolerate two degrees off level. We have been out for a month now, at least 8 campsites, and have yet to use the blocks.
-Our shore power cable has a loop handle on the male end. I use a cable and padlock and lock it to the pedestal, if I feel the need. Then I just leave it on the ground when we leave. Breaker turned off, of course!

Typically now, it takes us about 5 minutes to break camp and depart for town. My wife puts away the things inside, and I disconnect the shore power and cable and do the walk-around.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by daywalker567 View Post
we are planning a 6-= week trip to Utah/ the national parks in the area. It's almost 1600mi from Here in Tn and I am not sure I want to drag my car that far and only use it a short time. Our MH is 25 ft and would be easy to see the sights in. There will only be the 2 of us and the dogs. Will be staying in NP cg most of the time without hook-ups. Your thoughts please.
Simple answer, No TOAD required.
You'll Love It. All the parks are really well accessed. RV parking is available at the popular view points and several (Zions, Bryce) have a shuttle bus service available. If you'd like some local input or ideas you can PM me any time. Also you can click on my avitar and view several photo albums from the area.
Make your reservations early and and
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_4703.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	99248  

Currently enjoying second childhood
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow vehicle