Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2016, 06:55 PM   #1

Need help with damaged awning!

We have a 2013 Sunseeker 3100....

Ok, we're on week 3 of a 3 month trip and someone (possibly me) decided to drive off this morning without bringing the awning in. It hit a tree branch, which seems to have pulled a few of the screws partially out in the middle and at the top of one of the awning brackets attached to the side of the RV.

All of the screws are still there but have been pulled part way out of the body of the RV sidewall. I tried tightening them and it helped a little, but it seems as if, whatever they were screwed into (possibly wood behind the sidewall?), has been stripped. Any idea what these screw into and/or how to access the area or what to do?

I'll call the local RV place in the morning and see what they say, but we're only in our current city for another 3 days. I'd love to know if it's possibly a DIY situation or if it's something that really has to be done by a professional.
The awning still works......though due to the screws being a little loose, the bracket tilts slightly one direction and someone needs to push a bit on the arm when closing the awning to get it to close properly. My main concern is that because the screws have been pulled out partially, that water might get in if it were to rain. Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks!
kmergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:07 PM   #2

If the screws are in wood I would insert wooden wedges in the holes with good wood glue , replace the screws with new stainless steel screws then seal the screw heads with a good sealent.
JW DUKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 08:25 PM   #3

Wedges or plastic anchors might be easiest. Alternatively drill a new hole an inch or so away and reattach.

Good luck! Had a neighbor stop me from doing same thing despite my "preflight checklist".

Forester 2451s
Old 07-04-2016, 08:33 PM   #4
Carknocker Family

Larger diameter screws, imo
2017 Ram 2500
2014 Salem 32BHDS
Ida Ratherbe Camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 01:02 PM   #5

For this type of repair I like structural epoxy. Inject the epoxy into the stripped holes. Once it is set you can drill new pilot holes.
dmchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:00 PM   #6
Back to RVing again

OH! Thank Goodness! I thought I was the only one who could ever pull out of a campsite with the awning open and not realize it. Alas! I am not alone. Good luck.
Kevin and Bev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:02 PM   #7

Nope, you're not the only one. The worst part is that I didn't even enter through the driver's side door (opposite the awning). I walked right under the darn thing, through the main entry door, went and sat down and started the engine.
kmergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 11:37 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ida Ratherbe Camping View Post
Larger diameter screws, imo

X2

Shaun & Michelle
2016 Sunseeker 3010DSF
Old 07-06-2016, 09:49 AM   #9

happens to the best of us... i also forgot to raise the back jacks on the 5th wheel itching to get on the road last weekend.
forgot to disconnect the sewer line one time -

DON'T ask...
Old 07-10-2016, 06:55 PM   #10

Go with a bigger screw for now. When you get home use a cocktail straw and file with jb weld. day two drill under size pilot hole and replace with like screws. this can all be done with the awning on...
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning