Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #21

My question is for Hunt 247. Are you running synthetic Oil. If so when did you switch over? Have you modified your air intake system? Have you checked your milage at 55 mph?

Jerry Crosby
adogman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:15 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimurrrw View Post
I think that you should see a bit of improvement as the 2300 gets broken in and you become more familiar with its optimal operation. Do, however, take note of the fact that from Newport News to the OBX you were operating basically on flat ground and at sea level, which would have given you an advantage to start out with. I also see that you noted that it was windy - the big question is whether it was a headwind or tailwind.
I sure hope to see an improvement. I am at sea level?? And it is flat?? At 60 mph a tailwind would have to be pretty strong to help gas mileage IMHO. Same with a headwind as it is never a constant
vacouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:24 AM   #23
Commercial Member

Don't underestimate wind. As a frequent flyer I can tell you heading west takes way longer than heading east (due to winds) and a plane is way more aerodynamic than a motorhome.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:14 AM   #24

Woo Hoo! We have waited 12 weeks for the arrival of our new 2012 Sunseeker 3170ds. It is here!!! We pick it up this afternoon at 3:00. Our first trip will be a weekend trip on April 27. (One month later than we had planned) Oh well, it will be worth the wait once we get going.

I see that Chuck is getting 6.3 mpg. Yiks, we were hoping for 7 to 10 mpg. Oh well, the 3/4 ton truck hauling a 30ft TT only got 7 to 10 so it shouldn't be too much of a change.

Can hardly wait to pull out of the drive loaded and ready to go.

2012 Sunseeker 3170ds
Toad: 2009 HHR
2009 150cc Scooters
Rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #25

I have a 2011 Sunseeker 2300 with about 10000 miles. I do not drive over 60mph and have gotton between 9 and 9.6 mpg highway and around 8 city. I had hoped for 20mpg, but I fear that is not going to happen.
I have the 350 Ford V10 (which I find has plenty of power).
davegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:31 PM   #26

You really thought you would get 20 mpg. You must be joking.
Besides who cares if the only get 8 its not like we are driving them everyday to work.
I mean your only carrying a house down the road.
Ray F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray F. View Post
You really thought you would get 20 mpg. You must be joking.
Besides who cares if the only get 8 its not like we are driving them everyday to work.
I mean your only carrying a house down the road.
I mistyped. I had hoped for 10mpg
davegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 03:46 PM   #28

As I join in the discussion, I purchased a Sunseeker 3170DS in Nov 2011. This weekend we went camping for the first time in this motor home. I suspect that the loaded weight was close to 16,000 lbs. This past friday it was 60 degrees with no wind when we drove 80 miles to the campground. Today the weather was about the same when we cam back. I had the cruise control locked on at 55 mph which indicated 2000 rpm on the tack. I Filled up before I got on I70 and when I got off. A total of 163.8 miles. The motor home used 17.212 gal of regular for 9.516616 miles per gal. Now that I have the base line, It is time to see if I can squeeze some more gas milage out of it.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:29 AM   #29
Commercial Member

I hope that'd loaded weight including a tow vehicle.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:13 AM   #30

Actually, I don't know the exact weight but suspect that I am near the upper limit. I hope to get weighted at the Indianapolis rally this summer.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:08 AM   #31

[QUOTE=f1100turbo;176253]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacouple View Post
Had a nice camping trip despite storms , wind etc. with our new 2300. All systems worker great.....heat , air, reefer, water heater, elect. Checked gas mileage for the trip and We have the ford V-10 and as far as I can tell driving in the range of 55-60 mph most of the time unless putting along we got a measly 7.5 mpg!!?? I was guessing about 10 with such a small class c but 7??? Now it only has about 1000 miles on it so please tell me that after it is broken in it will get better mileage..anyone with any MPG estimates chime in please.

Here's a good suggestion try looking into installing an electric fan
Assembly. When I did this to lower my trans temps in case
They got high. I in fact raised my mpg since the clutch fan
does not run now. 1 mpg difference over 26 gallons made
a difference enough for the price of the fan.
Jokingly now.....I just looked at your class C and DUDE you suck.... that is a nice scoot you got there....makes my tiny 2300 beg to be big. OUCH
Old 05-06-2012, 12:41 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Don't underestimate wind. As a frequent flyer I can tell you heading west takes way longer than heading east (due to winds) and a plane is way more aerodynamic than a motorhome.
Never underestimate wind...truer words never spoken. I flew in f-4 phantoms and f-16 falcons in the 70's and 80's. However this PIG (lovingly) if you know aircraft lingo, will never get 10mpg at highway speeds (over 55mph) So I think that the reps who sell it should quit touting it as such and suck it up and tell us the truth. I knew from the second tank of gas that I was going to get 7-9 mpg as a rule. I also know from listening here that most people agree to that idea and are willing to accept as penance for their and my willingness to suck it up and have fun camping despite misrepresentation of actual fuel consumption. So , basically , if you don't have gas money don't buy a large motored class C
Old 05-13-2012, 09:53 AM   #33

I really don't think it matters what size class c you have, a V-10 is going to get about 7-8 no matter what! We have a Sunseeker 2890 that I pull a 7x16 enclosed trailer behind loaded to the gills with workbench, tool boxes, dirt bikes, golf cart and a 30 gallon water tank. I get the exact same gas mileage wether we have the trailer hooked up or not!
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote