Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2016, 01:36 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
ilmor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
I averaged 9.5 in my 2250 and that included some generator use. The dash readout indicated 10.5 but I think that was optimistic.
I put 20,000 miles on my Solera in 6 years. At today's prices/gal. the Solera would save me $1,332.00 in fuel cost over 20,000 miles. That's a lot less $ than paying up front for another small diesel RV for sure.
__________________

__________________
2017 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLE
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:19 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Total Loss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
What mpg are you getting. I assume about 8 or 9. Solera got 14.
I am getting a solid 10 towing.
10.5-11 not towing.

Better now that it is broken in.
I was getting 9-9.5 towing prior.
I take it pretty easy.
__________________

__________________
"If you are going through hell..keep going"
W. Churchill
Total Loss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 05:37 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
ilmor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
I am getting a solid 10 towing.
10.5-11 not towing.

Better now that it is broken in.
I was getting 9-9.5 towing prior.
I take it pretty easy.
Thanks. Are you getting this mpg on the flat lands or does this also include some hills?

Breaking in does make a difference. For example I bought a new Jeep Wrangler. After it got about 2000 miles on it suddenly the mpg was 1.5 mpg higher.
__________________
2017 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLE
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:31 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Total Loss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 426
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
Thanks. Are you getting this mpg on the flat lands or does this also include some hills?

Breaking in does make a difference. For example I bought a new Jeep Wrangler. After it got about 2000 miles on it suddenly the mpg was 1.5 mpg higher.
All combined. Hills all around us. flats are usually just a few miles long.
The 6 spd in the Chevy is great and is why this runs so well with just a 6.0 motor. Much easier to stay in the torque band and get the best mileage.
I usually use manual mode in the tranny because we have so many hills.
__________________
"If you are going through hell..keep going"
W. Churchill
Total Loss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:55 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
ilmor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
All combined. Hills all around us. flats are usually just a few miles long.
The 6 spd in the Chevy is great and is why this runs so well with just a 6.0 motor. Much easier to stay in the torque band and get the best mileage.
I usually use manual mode in the tranny because we have so many hills.
Ah, well, I have the 6.8 Ford, also with 6 spd. So it will be interesting to see how it does.
__________________
2017 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLE
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:40 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
ilmor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 738
Now that I have my nav unit sorted out and working correctly, everything in the Sunseeker works! Hopefully this will be for a long time!

My first outing in it will be starting 2 weeks from yesterday.

I do have a couple of mods in mind.

First, I don't like that the black tank valve is positioned on the opposite side of the coach from the outlet. It that valve were to be accidentally opened there would be an awful lot of "stuff" in that pipe which which spill out as soon as the cap is removed. So, I am going to add another "safety" gate valve on the outlet side. I will probably not do this until after my camping season, however.

Secondly, I don't like that the coach audio unit and TV is always powered on when the main battery switch is on. Not a good idea when boondocking. So, I am going to add a 12V switch the units power wire to take care of this.
__________________
2017 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLE
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:17 AM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Sarasota
Posts: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
I put 20,000 miles on my Solera in 6 years. At today's prices/gal. the Solera would save me $1,332.00 in fuel cost over 20,000 miles. That's a lot less $ than paying up front for another small diesel RV for sure.
What do you think of the Ford chassis/powertrain vs. the MBS one? I'd love to hear your perspective (+/-) since you owned the MBS for 6 years.
__________________
MBSNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:31 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
ilmor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBSNewbie View Post
What do you think of the Ford chassis/powertrain vs. the MBS one? I'd love to hear your perspective (+/-) since you owned the MBS for 6 years.
Prior to owning the MBS I owned two Ford E-Series motorhomes. We went to the MBS for the usual reasons, to downsize and get better fuel mileage.

First the negatives. Over that 6 years we had three issues with the MBS. A pcv valve went out during a long trip and while that's not usually a big deal on an MBS it is because it causes loss of any turbo boost. With that the MBS could not exceed about 40 mph on a flat surface. This was an expensive repair but fortunately covered by warranty since emissions-related was covered for 5 years I believe. Also the starter went bad. This cost me around $600 to repair as I recall. MBS units are more expensive to repair simply because they are MBS. Lastly was the propensity of this model to get flat tires, always in the right rear. I had 3 flats during the 6 years.

The Fords I previously owned had no mechanical issues. I hope my new one is the same, but we'll see!

On the positive side, the MBS drives nicer than the Ford, I.e. it's steering seems more precise.

The Ford, however, seems less "tipsy" than the MBS and feels like it has a lower center of gravity. Also, the brakes on the Ford are extremely better than the brakes ever were on the MBS.

The MBS got 14 mpg on average. The Ford from what I've read will get 9 or 10. Over 6 years and the miles I drive the difference in fuel price, however, would never come anywhere near close to the difference in chassis cost.

The MBS would tow only 3500 lbs. The Ford is rated as high as 10,000, however the 5000 lb. hitch will be good enough for me. This was one of the reasons for me switching back to Ford.

I think the MBS probably has less engine noise than the Ford, which makes sense as the Ford engine cover is partially intruding into the cockpit and makes double the HP and torque of my MBS.

Ford has better acceleration.

The Ford is wider than the MBS so that also makes the MBS seem more nimble.

In the looks department, that's subjective. The Ford definitely looks more "manly" IMO whereas the MBS is more "Euro".

Legroom is similar. Passenger area of the Ford is tighter than the MBS. It's a little easier to move out of the cockpit seats to the coach in the MBS due to the Ford engine cover, however the cockpit and coach floor levels are very similar in the Ford whereas in the MBS there was a step into the coach. Kind of a trade-off.

That's about all I can think of. I hope I've answered your question.
__________________
2017 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLE
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:09 AM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Sarasota
Posts: 49
Excellent comparison although I disagree with you about leg room. That doghouse is very intrusive on both driver and passenger. MBS is wide open in the cab area. Interesting about the step up to the coach - I didn't remember that.

Definitely agree about MPG. You'll never make up the cost difference with the fuel savings. Same thing applies to most hybrid vehicles.

Thanks.
__________________
MBSNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 09:33 AM   #20
Senior Member
 
ilmor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBSNewbie View Post
Excellent comparison although I disagree with you about leg room. That doghouse is very intrusive on both driver and passenger. MBS is wide open in the cab area. Interesting about the step up to the coach - I didn't remember that.

Definitely agree about MPG. You'll never make up the cost difference with the fuel savings. Same thing applies to most hybrid vehicles.

Thanks.
I don't find it to be intrusive to the driver but there is definitely less width for the passenger legs. Once in position though one becomes accustomed to it quickly. Definitely not a deciding factor to me but of course others might disagree.

Have a great time with your MBS. All these campers are about fun in the end result.
__________________

__________________
2017 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLE
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sunseeker

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:58 AM.