Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2016, 06:11 AM   #1

New Sunseeker 2250SLE

Yesterday I traded my 2010 Solera for a new Sunseeker 2250SLE!

http://www.forestriverforums.com/Pho...ze=big&cat=790

http://www.forestriverforums.com/Pho...ze=big&cat=790

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:11 AM   #2

Congrats!!!!
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 05:02 PM   #3

I'm nosy. What were your reasons to trade? Which chassis does your new one have?
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:44 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerGuy View Post
I'm nosy. What were your reasons to trade? Which chassis does your new one have?
Primarily I just wanted something newer after 6 years, as well as one that can tow a vehicle. The Solera could tow only 3500 lbs whereas this new one (an E-450) is capable of towing 10,000! It does have a 5000 lb. hitch which will be plenty for me.

Old 07-03-2016, 06:49 PM   #5

I thought the Foresters and Sunseekers on the E450 chassis were uprated with 7500 pound hitches.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:25 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmor View Post
Congrats.

If it is anything like the 2250 SLEC that I just traded in you will enjoy it immensely.

Bobby

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
Congrats.

If it is anything like the 2250 SLEC that I just traded in you will enjoy it immensely.

Bobby
Thanks. Really loving it so far. Camped at home in it over the weekend for fun and too continue checking everything out well. First camping trip coming up in 2 weeks

Old 07-05-2016, 09:23 AM   #8

Congrats.
Luv our 2251.

Much cheaper than the Solera also.
Less maintenance, simpler drivetrain.
More gas though.
Old 07-05-2016, 10:15 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Loss View Post
Congrats.
Luv our 2251.

Much cheaper than the Solera also.
Less maintenance, simpler drivetrain.
More gas though.
What mpg are you getting. I assume about 8 or 9. Solera got 14.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:52 AM   #10

Quote:
I averaged 9.5 in my 2250 and that included some generator use. The dash readout indicated 10.5 but I think that was optimistic.

Formerly a 2013 Sunseeker 2250 SLEC.
Delco Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delco Bobby View Post
I averaged 9.5 in my 2250 and that included some generator use. The dash readout indicated 10.5 but I think that was optimistic.
I put 20,000 miles on my Solera in 6 years. At today's prices/gal. the Solera would save me $1,332.00 in fuel cost over 20,000 miles. That's a lot less $ than paying up front for another small diesel RV for sure.

Old 07-05-2016, 03:19 PM   #12

Quote:
I am getting a solid 10 towing.
10.5-11 not towing.

Better now that it is broken in.
I was getting 9-9.5 towing prior.
I take it pretty easy.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:37 AM   #13

Quote:
I am getting a solid 10 towing.
10.5-11 not towing.

Better now that it is broken in.
I was getting 9-9.5 towing prior.
I take it pretty easy.
Thanks. Are you getting this mpg on the flat lands or does this also include some hills?

Breaking in does make a difference. For example I bought a new Jeep Wrangler. After it got about 2000 miles on it suddenly the mpg was 1.5 mpg higher.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:31 AM   #14

Quote:
Thanks. Are you getting this mpg on the flat lands or does this also include some hills?

Breaking in does make a difference. For example I bought a new Jeep Wrangler. After it got about 2000 miles on it suddenly the mpg was 1.5 mpg higher.
All combined. Hills all around us. flats are usually just a few miles long.
The 6 spd in the Chevy is great and is why this runs so well with just a 6.0 motor. Much easier to stay in the torque band and get the best mileage.
I usually use manual mode in the tranny because we have so many hills.
Old 07-06-2016, 09:55 AM   #15

Quote:
All combined. Hills all around us. flats are usually just a few miles long.
The 6 spd in the Chevy is great and is why this runs so well with just a 6.0 motor. Much easier to stay in the torque band and get the best mileage.
I usually use manual mode in the tranny because we have so many hills.
Ah, well, I have the 6.8 Ford, also with 6 spd. So it will be interesting to see how it does.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:40 AM   #16

Now that I have my nav unit sorted out and working correctly, everything in the Sunseeker works! Hopefully this will be for a long time!

My first outing in it will be starting 2 weeks from yesterday.

I do have a couple of mods in mind.

First, I don't like that the black tank valve is positioned on the opposite side of the coach from the outlet. It that valve were to be accidentally opened there would be an awful lot of "stuff" in that pipe which which spill out as soon as the cap is removed. So, I am going to add another "safety" gate valve on the outlet side. I will probably not do this until after my camping season, however.

Secondly, I don't like that the coach audio unit and TV is always powered on when the main battery switch is on. Not a good idea when boondocking. So, I am going to add a 12V switch the units power wire to take care of this.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:17 AM   #17

Quote:
I put 20,000 miles on my Solera in 6 years. At today's prices/gal. the Solera would save me $1,332.00 in fuel cost over 20,000 miles. That's a lot less $ than paying up front for another small diesel RV for sure.
What do you think of the Ford chassis/powertrain vs. the MBS one? I'd love to hear your perspective (+/-) since you owned the MBS for 6 years.
MBSNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBSNewbie View Post
What do you think of the Ford chassis/powertrain vs. the MBS one? I'd love to hear your perspective (+/-) since you owned the MBS for 6 years.
Prior to owning the MBS I owned two Ford E-Series motorhomes. We went to the MBS for the usual reasons, to downsize and get better fuel mileage.

First the negatives. Over that 6 years we had three issues with the MBS. A pcv valve went out during a long trip and while that's not usually a big deal on an MBS it is because it causes loss of any turbo boost. With that the MBS could not exceed about 40 mph on a flat surface. This was an expensive repair but fortunately covered by warranty since emissions-related was covered for 5 years I believe. Also the starter went bad. This cost me around $600 to repair as I recall. MBS units are more expensive to repair simply because they are MBS. Lastly was the propensity of this model to get flat tires, always in the right rear. I had 3 flats during the 6 years.

The Fords I previously owned had no mechanical issues. I hope my new one is the same, but we'll see!

On the positive side, the MBS drives nicer than the Ford, I.e. it's steering seems more precise.

The Ford, however, seems less "tipsy" than the MBS and feels like it has a lower center of gravity. Also, the brakes on the Ford are extremely better than the brakes ever were on the MBS.

The MBS got 14 mpg on average. The Ford from what I've read will get 9 or 10. Over 6 years and the miles I drive the difference in fuel price, however, would never come anywhere near close to the difference in chassis cost.

The MBS would tow only 3500 lbs. The Ford is rated as high as 10,000, however the 5000 lb. hitch will be good enough for me. This was one of the reasons for me switching back to Ford.

I think the MBS probably has less engine noise than the Ford, which makes sense as the Ford engine cover is partially intruding into the cockpit and makes double the HP and torque of my MBS.

Ford has better acceleration.

The Ford is wider than the MBS so that also makes the MBS seem more nimble.

In the looks department, that's subjective. The Ford definitely looks more "manly" IMO whereas the MBS is more "Euro".

Legroom is similar. Passenger area of the Ford is tighter than the MBS. It's a little easier to move out of the cockpit seats to the coach in the MBS due to the Ford engine cover, however the cockpit and coach floor levels are very similar in the Ford whereas in the MBS there was a step into the coach. Kind of a trade-off.

That's about all I can think of. I hope I've answered your question.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:09 AM   #19

Excellent comparison although I disagree with you about leg room. That doghouse is very intrusive on both driver and passenger. MBS is wide open in the cab area. Interesting about the step up to the coach - I didn't remember that.

Definitely agree about MPG. You'll never make up the cost difference with the fuel savings. Same thing applies to most hybrid vehicles.

Thanks.
MBSNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:33 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBSNewbie View Post
Excellent comparison although I disagree with you about leg room. That doghouse is very intrusive on both driver and passenger. MBS is wide open in the cab area. Interesting about the step up to the coach - I didn't remember that.

Definitely agree about MPG. You'll never make up the cost difference with the fuel savings. Same thing applies to most hybrid vehicles.

Thanks.
I don't find it to be intrusive to the driver but there is definitely less width for the passenger legs. Once in position though one becomes accustomed to it quickly. Definitely not a deciding factor to me but of course others might disagree.

Have a great time with your MBS. All these campers are about fun in the end result.

Tags
sunseeker