Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2014, 07:29 PM   #1
kcs

New Sunseeker 2300 Owner To Be

I am new to this forum and this is my first class c purchase. My 9yr old son has become a very accomplished off road motorcycle racer and we are simply tired of the truck and small travel trailer set up. Therefore, I will be taking delivery of a new 2014 Sunseeker 2300 this coming friday.

I spent a great deal of time looking at different class c's all over the state of NC. I had the pleasure of meeting Dan Lipe with Campers Inn in Mocksville NC and decided to purchase this unit from that location. I cannot say enough good things about him and the other employees at that business. This whole buying experience has been quite an adventure dealing with different dealers and some of the nonsense they try to pull. I should have gone to this dealer in the first place.

Anyway, I am excited about buying this unit and look forward to what it has to offer. Considering that about 90 percent of the time I will be dry camping, I am open to any and all advice from those who have done the same with like units. Most of the time, we will only be staying Saturday and Sunday, but once in a while Friday thru Sunday. I will be pulling a 5x8 enclosed trailer with the bikes and other equipment, to include a generator that will run pretty much everything on this rv. Unfortunately, I will be loaded down with water, since I have to take it with me. There goes the gas mileage.

I will tell you that at many of these events, flat parking is not easily found. So, I know I will need leveling ramps/blocks. Has anybody found a certain brand/style that seems to work the best for these units? I also intend to buy some window shades/covers for the cab area, so if anyone can point me in the right direction, that would be great. Also, would you reccomend that I use the RV's generator sparingly to keep the hours down and just use my quiet inverter generator to power everything. Considering that we may do this about 25 weeks this year, I may have just answered my own question. I am also considering purchasing a cover for the rv while it is not in use. Again, is there one I should consider over others? And finally, for those that own this very same unit, have you found the need for any type of supports, jack stands, etc. to keep the unit from any type of movement while it is parked and we are moving about inside.

Yes, I know I could have done a search and may have found what I was looking for, but I at least wanted to introduce myself, so please bare with me. I thank you in advance for your consideration in this matter and look forward to any suggestions and advice. And please, if there is something else I need to be considering, please speak up. Just remember, I am not a newbie to camping. It is just that I am taking a huge step from a 15 foot travel trailer to this unit.

Again, thanks in advance and look forward to being a part of this forum.
kcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:01 PM   #2

Welcome and congrats on your 2014 Sunseeker 2300.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 09:09 PM   #3

Have fun and stay warm. I was tinkering in my 2300 today in the arctic chill of MA. Deciding what to pack for my first trip to FL leaving on 2/15. Hope it warms a bit before then. Keep us posted on your trip. Curious to hear about any issues to look for in my 2300.
brianodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 10:22 PM   #4

Big Foot leveling kit would be a great factory option or after market option that would help with uneven ground.
kodiak ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 05:43 AM   #5

Welcome to the forum from another 2300 owner! You will love your MH. Regarding leveling, I use 3 sets of Lynx levelers (lego block type levelers). Probably could get by with 2 sets. The MH is pretty stable inside without additional equipment. I have had trailers with full stabilizers that were still not as stable as this is with nothing additional.

I use an Adco window cover. It is vinyl and covers the side windows and windshield of the cab. Open door slightly to hook over top of door frame, place under windshield wipers, and its on. Camping World sells one with roll up panels to let light in during the day. Haven't tried that one, but like the solid panel one we have--available on Amazon.

We don't do a lot of dry camping, but when we do, we use the generator as needed. I don't see a problem in running it. That's one of the joys of having one built in. Remember it draws fuel from the gas tank and for safety sake, it's fuel pickup is about a 1/4 of the way up in the tank, so that the generator can not run your tank dry and leave you stranded. It's pretty easy on fuel usage, of course depending on load.

I believe the new units are starting to ship with led interior lights. If not, change yours to led for much better run time on battery. If yours doesn't come with two batteries, consider adding one. They should be a matched pair, so adding it now while new would be good. That will greatly increase your time off the grid.

Water supply for 2-3 days will be adequate if you are careful (Navy showers, etc.). I find the fresh water tank runs out before the holding tanks need emptying. Usually have plenty of everything for a weekend with 2 adults and an occasional visit from a grandchild.

When dealer does walk through, make sure they show you location of air valves for rear air bags. They should be inflated between 10 and 100 psi. They fill very fast, so be careful with them. Most start at 50-60 psi and adjust from there. With the trailer you will have, it should help to adjust until you won't even know the trailer is there.

Ask anything. There are lots of Sunseeker owners (including 2300s) here, as well as many others willing to help.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:14 PM   #6
kcs

Thanks for the replies and information. Scheduled to take delivery this Friday afternoon if all goes well. On Sunday, Weather permitting, going to simply take a day trip out of state for my son to ride. That should give me a chance to play around with it and hopefully learn the ins and outs. Not having to unhook my TT and unload the bikes out of the back of the truck, will definitely help me tremendously. In 2002, I suffered a severe career ending line of duty injury to my left leg while working in Law Enforcement. 8 surgeries later including total joint replacement of my left knee at the ripe ol age of 38, I do not have the abilities I once had. So buying this unit will make life so much easier. Just show up, park, and get out. When time comes, unload the bikes from the enclosed trailer, or should I say, kiddo can unload his own bikes. Oh, how I look forward to not being so miserable come Sunday afternoons after the racing is over. Loading everything up, picking stuff up, moving stuff around, hooking camper back up was getting to be a real pain in the you know what.

Anyway, thanks again. I will definitely look into the cab covers and leveling ramps. Race season starts the first of March and the two first locations are a pain for parking if you get there too late. So that should give me a good idea if I need the leveling kit. Hopefully, I can get by with just some blocks to pull up on. If the weather is good, we seldom stay inside unless we are eating or sleeping. Too much to do outside. So we will see.

Thanks,

Kent
Old 01-28-2014, 12:08 AM   #7

I think you should definitely look into the Big Foot leveling jacks that I mentioned earlier. Pull in push button and the RV is level.
kodiak ak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 05:53 PM   #8

I second the bigfoot levelers. I had them put on at the bigfoot factory last summer. I have a 32ft forester. I cant say enough good things about them.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk
lkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:20 PM   #9

Congrats on your new sunseeker I also would recommend the big foot levelers and as far as the generator run it as often as you can they are much more reliable if you keep fresh gas going through .
lbrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:16 PM   #10

the first thing I learned with dry camping at the race track was you need some fold up tables

2014 JEEP WRANGLER WILLYS
Bobb36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 09:10 AM   #11

I would recommend buying a generator exhaust system that directs the exhaust over the roof instead of ground level.
kswing60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 10:28 PM   #12

We have a 2012 2300 and love it. It had only minor warranty issues when new, and no problems since. We pull a Jeep Liberty 4 down. We use the leveling blocks from Walmart. I would be careful considering the Big foot levelers since you will be hauling water and your trailer, I would be afraid of being over weight.
tlf65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 08:39 PM   #13
kcs

Picked up our new 2300 yesterday. Brought it home and we have been living in it for the weekend. Taking it on a 275 mile round trip road trip tomorrow so my son can practice at a MX facility in SC. Shouldn't be any problem towing my small 4x6 utility trailer with 2 small dirt bikes on it. Look forward relaxing while jr. goes and rides with his friends.

Okay, about the unit. I keep asking myself, why in the world did we wait so long to finally buy one. If I ever consider buying another travel trailer, you all have my permission to beat me senseless. I have spent most of the day just hanging out in the unit getting the feel of everything. I cannot get over just how much storage this thing has. Played around with everything making sure I understand the ins and outs of how they all work. Luckily having owned the TT, most of it functions the same. I'm letting my 9 year old figure out all the electronic stuff, especially with the radio/nav/dvd system. He already has his playstation 4 hooked up.

We cannot wait to take it to the races. Oh, how I look forward to just showing up, parking and hanging out. No more unloading all the crap I would normally have to take. Jr. can get his bikes off or out of the trailers depending on which one I tow.

I do have a question though regarding the heating units. We will always be dry camping at the race tracks. So, when needed we will use the furnace. However, we also have the AC/Heat pump. I will definitely use the heat pump when we have a power hook up. But, when do you find the need to use it dry camping. I would rather not run the generator while everyone is sleeping.

Thanks again for the answers and replies to my post. Please keep them coming if you think of anything.

I will close with this. If any of you are looking for another RV, you owe it to yourself to call Campers Inn in Mocksville NC and speak with Dan Lipe. He along with all the other employees we met, definitely made our buying process one for the memories. No pressure, take your time, want you to be happy type of atmosphere. No other dealer we spoke with in NC came within 4400.00 of what they gave us on trade. Then throw in the amount they took off MSRP to begin with, 5 year/75000 exclusionary service/warranty agreement added to deal at no cost to us, 1 year free camping with Thousand Trails( I know, I know), free application of the exterior paint protection, $50.00 gift card to their parts department and most important of all, free popcorn for the kid. Now all he wants to do is go out their. I have no idea if they give me anything for referrals and simply do not care. Just tell them that if they do, just add to your deal.

Look forward to seeing some of you down the road. You will always be able to pick us out of the crowd. More than likely we will have the trailer attached with a 2013 KTM 65 and 2014 KTM 85 on board. Red number plates attached with the number 750 in white. Please stop, introduce yourself and aggravate my kid to no end. In fact, I would probably pay you to do that. Just be warned, he's something else.

Thanks again,

Kent
Old 02-01-2014, 09:03 PM   #14

Congrats on the new 2300. We love our 2012.

The heat pump provides a nice option for heat when the temperature outside is above 30 or so, and you have power. If you don't have power, there is really no reason to run the generator just to use the heat pump--just switch to furnace. The furnace, of course, uses your propane. It also uses quite a bit of battery power. But it would be better than running the generator to use the heat pump.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:27 PM   #15
kcs

Took it for a day trip to SC yesterday putting about 280 miles on it. Towed a small utility trailer with son's race bikes. So far so good. Everything seems to work okay. Unit is still winterized, will take care of that around the 1st of March.

All I kept saying to myself was why did I wait so long to do this. Let the wife drive it about 30 miles on I-77. I'm still breathing. Actually she did really good. But she drives a Ford Expedition so she is used to a large vehicle. Surprisingly got around 11.5 mpg. Cant complain there. I'm lucky to get that when I drive my Ford F150 Raptor with the 6.2 engine. Usually get around 9-10 loaded up pulling the TT.

Thanks again,

Kent

Tags
sunseeker