Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-30-2017, 12:36 AM   #1

New Sunseeker 2430S can't find some stuff.

I posted here the other day about purchasing a new Sunseeker 2430S. It is brand new, but I am the second owner, the first owner passed just after he took delivery from the factory. So there is no warrantee. Well, I accepted that and figured I'd get a Good Sam's Extended Mechanical Breakdown insurance.

Today I got busy learning about our new purchase. I found a paper in the manual set that was left showing all the upgrades and their cost. A note said this should be removed after sale. 17K of upgrades. That was about the only thing I found useful in the manual set. The coach manual was so general it talked about stuff that existed, but not were they were.

For instance it said there was a spear tire but not where it was. After I found it tucked way up high behind the hitch with a mirror, I am mobility impaired, there was not one sentence anywhere on how to crank the tire down. So is there someone who can answer that for me.

The second, there is not a single line telling me were the fresh water drain plug or valve is to drain the tank. So if you know were that is on the 2028 2430S I'd like to know.

I've had three motor homes and five trailers. I have never seen a manual like this before, tells you about everything that's there, yet, not where it is. There was no information on the air-conditioner, I'd like to know more about the heat pump. There is a manual for every other appliance, but that, and the thermostat control. I found that online. No manual for the air conditioner online so far.

I was very pleased about the unit and the small things I thought I'd have to buy for it that were all ready there. Like airing up the rear tires, and found the stems were extended. I had to install those those on my old MH.

Thank you for any help. I am excited about this 2430S more than any RV I've owned before.
Radio7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:17 AM   #2

Radio7, manuals and videos are available online and might help. Manuals at: http://www.forestriverinc.com/OnlineManual.aspx
Videos at: http://www.forestriverinc.com/videos.aspx

Find the fresh water tank and ook for a line coming out near the lower part of the tank with a small valve. That's the fresh water tank drain. Don't confuse the fresh water valve with the low point drains for the water lines, which are under the coach.

In terms of the tire, the manual for the company that made the chassis (not Forest River, but Ford, Chevy, etc.) should have directions for spare tire removal. Hope this helps you get started!
CharSolera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:00 AM   #3

I read through the Ford body manual and did not find any spare tire help. If there is a crank hole it is well hidden. The whole back of the Sunseeker is one fiberglass cap. I'll have to get out the mirror again. Thank You.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:13 AM   #4
2012 Solera

Not at all sure our 2012 Mercedes Benz Sprinter is similar to your MH - it is a 24 foot model, so maybe.
On ours the fresh water drain valve is accessible through a port on the wall of the right rear storage compartment. This is the very large storage compartment under the bed. A black removable about 8 inches by 8 inches port. If I remove that port, I can see and reach the fresh water drain valve.
As for the spare tire, on ours it is held up with a metal frame that is attached with long screws and thumb nuts. No spare tire jack. I slide under the RV to the spare, hold up on it to relieve tension, unscrew the thumb nuts (sometimes need a pliers), then lower the spare. When I had to do this (one time), I just put the flat in the large rear compartment and let the tire repair place put it back up there...
Again, no idea if your MH is similar.
FYI
Jim
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:27 PM   #5
2016 GTS Sunseeker 2430S

We have a 2016 GTS Sunseeker 2430

We asked our dealer about changing a tire and we were told that they recommended that we call a professional should we need the tire changed. They said that that the RV is too large for a "regular" person to change the tire.

Our fresh water drain valve is under the bed.

We have had our Sunseeker for just over a year now and we are very pleased with it.

Please let me know if you have any other questions
Gizmosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 01:51 PM   #6

Ford Chassis E450. There is no crank to lower the spare down. Its held up with a threaded rod. Must unscrew the nut while trying to hold the tire up.
You have to lower it manually. Not an easy task. Call road service and let them handle it.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:58 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin & Judy View Post
Ford Chassis E450. There is no crank to lower the spare down. Its held up with a threaded rod. Must unscrew the nut while trying to hold the tire up.
You have to lower it manually. Not an easy task. Call road service and let them handle it.
I made a holder for mine and can let down with a small floor jack I bring. Played with that once after getting home after a flat was changed!
Old 08-30-2017, 07:27 PM   #8

Thank you to all that have posted. I will look under the bed in the morning. There is nothing on the under side. I am really down on Forest River's manuals. It show laziness. I've had many RV and always the manuals were specific to the model you owned, and were very good at showing were every thing was located. Not telling you it existed and let you find it. I understand why the manual is full of danger and warring notes. So why can't they take the time to at least list where every thing is located so one can find it. I spent 50 years repairing electronics, and am quite use to using professional manuals. Forest River, did you read this. The Sunseeker is just great, but could be even better with professional documentation.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:30 PM   #9

Gizmosmom is correct. The valve is under the bed. I finally found the blue discharge tube under the floor and measured it to the outside edge of the coach. I have an idea were the drain is under the bed. The cut wooden slots in the side of the bed offers limited access for my hands and arms. All I could do was feel around. It was so hot out today, even with the air conditioner and roof fan on, I gave up. Flashlight is not enough to find the valve. When it cools down tonight I'll put my trouble light under the bed though a slot. That should light it up enough for me to see something using a mirror. Why a manufacture designs a valve that one would use a lot, in a place so difficult to get to, I'll never understand. If I was 25 again it might not be a problem, but I was 25 50 years ago. Makes a difference
Old 09-02-2017, 12:03 AM   #10

Went out tonight after the heat dissipated down to the 70's. I put a bright trouble light under the bed near the plastic access panel that screws off at the foot of the bed on the right side. The light found it right away. It was tight against the inside of the bed support side covered with sawdust and insulation. The bright light caught the reflection of the valve handle through the junk on it. Brushed it away and turned it on. Soon as I did the lights showing a full fresh water tank went to zero. So I assume there was pressure in the tank from the heating. There was a few gallons of water in it. Thank to all. It was a workout. I've owned three motor homes and five travel trailers, and never had a problem as tough as that one. I think Forest River should think about doing a little clean up under the bed when the build is finished. LOL Thread is done.
Old 09-02-2017, 12:34 AM   #11

Quote:
I think Forest River should think about doing a little clean up under the bed when the build is finished.
I think after reading here for the last three years, that cleaning the TT, MH, etc NEVER gets done, either by factory or dealer... it is left up to the owner to clean up factory building debris...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 07:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsdata View Post
I think after reading here for the last three years, that cleaning the TT, MH, etc NEVER gets done, either by factory or dealer... it is left up to the owner to clean up factory building debris...
X2!

Tags
sunseeker