Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #21

Thanks for the ideas on the mattress. Krenek RV has requested a new one from FR. We expect they will replace it since we hadnt had the unit a week when we had a leak.
This also means we'll have to drive two hours back to pick it up. Thankfully, there's a nice state park near there to make a weekend of it.
-DW
Old 04-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
Sad to say no toad. Tanks empty. Miles on unit 1240. I hope I get 9. Disney trip will be a good test. I will post my results.
We also used a Disney trip to get a MPG measure. We ended up at 7.9 MPG overall.

'13 3100.

We went from Cincinnati to Disney. The route is obviously highway, but there are some grades in KY / TN, there was really bad stop & go around Atlanta both ways, and there was some city driving around Orlando in order to get to an urgent care for one of the kids.

The unit was fully loaded (but no toad). There was a bike rack with 4 bikes on the hitch. The fresh tank was probably about 1/2 full most of the time. There were a lot of extra clothes as it was spring break time so we packed for both cold & warm weather. We had a lot of food.

9 MPG seems like it would be a stretch, good luck, report back.
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:43 AM   #23

You may get 9 mpg IF you keep your speed 60 mph and lower. We are always towing a 4000 pound 4WD Pathfinder and get a little better than 8 mpg most of the time. I drive 55 mph on good two lanes and 60 mph on interstates. With slowdowns for small towns mileage on two lanes the mileage is about the same as on interstates at higher speeds.

We got less than 7.5 mpg on one mostly interstate trip when I kept the speed above 60 mph because I felt trafffic was running over us.

Hills don't make much difference for our mpg. When it shifts down for hills I slow down. The lower mpg uphill at the lower speed is about balanced by the faster nearly free ride downhill. Our average miles per hour goes down but our mpg doesn't change much.

The Ford V-10 will probably maintain 60 or 65 mph on most hills, especially on interstates, especially without a toad, but you will pay the price in mpg (and engine noise). It probably doesn't hurt that engine to run 4000-4500 rpm for a while but I don't like the noise and I'm too cheap to pay for the gas. Being retired and having time to spare on trips has its advantages!
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
Or put the residue in the rest of the mattress. Either way....problem solved. Good idea.
You're absolutely right!

Don't tell your spouse what really happens to the "residue" when you clean a mattress or carpet after your kid or pet has an "accident"!
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 01:44 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmlac View Post
We also used a Disney trip to get a MPG measure. We ended up at 7.9 MPG overall.

'13 3100.

We went from Cincinnati to Disney. The route is obviously highway, but there are some grades in KY / TN, there was really bad stop & go around Atlanta both ways, and there was some city driving around Orlando in order to get to an urgent care for one of the kids.

The unit was fully loaded (but no toad). There was a bike rack with 4 bikes on the hitch. The fresh tank was probably about 1/2 full most of the time. There were a lot of extra clothes as it was spring break time so we packed for both cold & warm weather. We had a lot of food.

9 MPG seems like it would be a stretch, good luck, report back.
One add based upon RamblerGuy's post 2 up -

I kept the speed around 62 - 67 & had the cruise set a lot of the time. I was closer to 67 than 62 most of the time. Few stretches even at 70. If I had it to do over, it would have been interesting to reset the Garmin trip computer to have all the time / speed details.
paulmlac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:49 PM   #26

I had same problem with my brand new 2012 3170 in the same place. Dealer couldn't find a leak. However it leaked several times before they resealed the cap and lights on the cap. They also replaced the mattress. It hasn't leaked since that.
Do yourself a favor and make them reseal it, Don't take no for an answer. If it leaked that time and you didn't leave a window open it will leak again!!

Dan and Nancy
badboy267 is offline   Reply With Quote