Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2015, 09:25 PM   #1
MH Noob

New Sunseeker Owner

just wanted to say howdy.....just bought my first MH a 2014 3120 DS.....excited to break something so I can post here in the forum!
Slimjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:29 PM   #2

Congrats on your new Sunseeker 3120 DS.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 07:33 AM   #3

Congratulations! I have a 2011 forester 3121ds. Basically the same, I think. Great rig!
lkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:00 AM   #4

Congrats on your purchase. We have a 2012 3120 and after some mods like replacing the couch with a dual recliner and moving the TV down to the dinette area we love it. You will find the front passenger seat is quite cramped which I corrected by making up a sliding mount for the couch so it can be slid back and locked about 8 inches during travel to allow full rearward movement and reclining of the passenger seat.

DW really liked the side isle and 3 long windows. You got one of the last ones as FR stopped making the layout with the 2014 models.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 09:14 AM   #5
MH Noob

Thanks ATV

ATV - I was noticing that myself - I pulled the removable cushion off and that helped, but it is still tough on the legs - I would be interested to see your handy work on the couch - great idea on the TV - the location is a bit counter intuitive unless a child is up in the bunk watching......would love to see that as well!

I still can't figure out why FR discontinued the 3120 - it has a certain "feel". The windows sold us and the big bathroom! Sure beats my Startcraft TT!
Old 04-07-2015, 09:47 PM   #6
Love My Sunseeker

I have owned two Sunseeker 3120's, one had full body paint in the maroon/gray/navy and one white. To me, the 3120 had a great bathroom, it was HUGE for a Class C. But, to me, the 3120 was more meant for a solo (which is why I liked it....) the way the floor plan was. I loved the "hallway" with the three long oval windows (so did my cat)!

I traded up to a 3170 because I wanted the computer desk.

I didn't think Forest River was making any more 3120's. What year is yours, and what attracted you to it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVer View Post
DW really liked the side isle and 3 long windows. You got one of the last ones as FR stopped making the layout with the 2014 models.
That's what I loved, too! That hallway was cool! But to me, the layout was more for a solo, which fit why I bought it twice!

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:35 AM   #7
MH Noob

DXsmac

That is great to hear that you keep coming back to Sunseeker. As this is our first MH - wife and a two year old - the sexertion of the bedroom bathroom living area attracted us. The atrium style hallway windows were the ultimate in design appeal. Mine is a 2014..... The last of the 3120.....I was hoping that would help retain value for resale.

We had looked at the 3170 and loved it.....but the price was too good to pass up with all the features and of course the quality - you shoul read about the remorse in the Jayco forums.....yikes.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:16 PM   #8

Photos of couch slide mod showing pass seat fully reclined and modded couch mounting platform with locking slots. Although the seat belt mounts were not changed I would not recommend using the couch in motion unless the couch was locked in it's original position.
Photos of replacement console which gives a little more room to get in and out of the front seats.
Change to rear TV mount to keep it from sticking out into the isle when stowed. Normal window and shade operation is unaffected.
Have yet to take any photos of front TV move to table end and new recliner. Loveseat recliner is narrower so there acceptable room for front seat movement. Thus I no longer needed a slide mechanism for it. Will take some photos later.

3120 was discontinued because of low sales. However other manufacturers still have the floorplan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snskr 028.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	390.8 KB
ID:	73553   Click image for larger version

Name:	snskr 025.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	452.3 KB
ID:	73554   Click image for larger version

Name:	van consoles 005.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	263.5 KB
ID:	73555   Click image for larger version

Name:	BE854017.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	345.7 KB
ID:	73556   Click image for larger version

Name:	snskr mod pics 011.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	339.0 KB
ID:	73557  

Old 04-08-2015, 08:26 PM   #9
Love My Sunseeker

Yeah, I kind of knew that the 3120 didn't sell that well. And yes, I do keep coming back to Sunseeker. My first RV was a Fleetwood Jamboree, just a camping MH. It drove like a TANK! My first Forest River product was a Sunseeker 2860. I loved that floor plan, but didn't like the "separated" bathroom (toilet on one side, shower on the other), and the shower you had to take a GIANT STEP UP to get in. After the 2860, I got the 3120, because I loved that hallway. Bought the 3120 twice. Now I have a 3170.

I'm hooked on the Sunseekers.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 09:05 PM   #10

Quote:
Photos of couch slide mod showing pass seat fully reclined and modded couch mounting platform with locking slots. Although the seat belt mounts were not changed I would not recommend using the couch in motion unless the couch was locked in it's original position.
Photos of replacement console which gives a little more room to get in and out of the front seats.
Change to rear TV mount to keep it from sticking out into the isle when stowed. Normal window and shade operation is unaffected.
Have yet to take any photos of front TV move to table end and new recliner. Loveseat recliner is narrower so there acceptable room for front seat movement. Thus I no longer needed a slide mechanism for it. Will take some photos later.

3120 was discontinued because of low sales. However other manufacturers still have the floorplan.

Please post the doghouse modification. Where did you get the replacement console? Nice pics.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 11:05 PM   #11

Also interested in replacement console. Thanks
13larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrette View Post
Please post the doghouse modification. Where did you get the replacement console? Nice pics.

No real modifications to the doghouse. Just got another Ford Econoline console on Ebay. The console is easily removed by unlatching it underneath and sliding it up and off. I interchange them depending on my mood and what trip I'm taking. With no console there is lots of extra room but then there are no cup holders or storage. There have been a number of console designs used over the years. Brian C from FR looked into it about a year ago and found that the console is still available from FORD but only in Grey.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:14 PM   #13

Photos of Love seat recliner install. Came from Wayfair. Backs remove so no problem getting thru door. Original seat belt mounts were maintained. DW says she just might spend much of her time in the recliner verses the cab seat!

Also you can see I extended the length of the bunk cutains to block out the cabin. It serves two benefits. One is on real hot travel days the cab can be isolated so you can operate the chassis air on low/quiet and be comfortable. Also it allows us to simply push the curtains closed at night and don't have to mess with the supplied velcro curtain. The extensions are attached with snaps so they can be easily removed if desired.

Shown is the TV relocation to Dinette area. Full functionality of lowering table, window shades, etc is maintained. Added additional electrical outlet in bench base just below TV to manage cord better but you wouldn't have to as the factory installed outlet is only about 2 feet further away. TV is 26" so still plenty of window space available to see out.

Can't see it in the photo but replaced the hard 5" foam in the cushion backs with two part foam, 3" dense and 2" soft. Better but should have done more soft thickness. Also can't see it but while working I noticed the drawers under the bench seats are about 1 foot shorter than the seat so there is wasted space available. Cut and installed a hinged door under the cushions to access the area, added some dollar store tubs, and created a hidden storage area for rarely used items.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2131.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	289.1 KB
ID:	73628   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2126.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	282.0 KB
ID:	73629   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM2125.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	312.9 KB
ID:	73630  
Old 04-12-2015, 09:29 PM   #14

Quote:
No real modifications to the doghouse. Just got another Ford Econoline console on Ebay. The console is easily removed by unlatching it underneath and sliding it up and off. I interchange them depending on my mood and what trip I'm taking. With no console there is lots of extra room but then there are no cup holders or storage. There have been a number of console designs used over the years. Brian C from FR looked into it about a year ago and found that the console is still available from FORD but only in Grey.

Thank you.

Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 12:05 PM   #15
MH Noob

Maiden Voyage Complete!

Hello there,

We took the new 3120 out for the weekend to "test" it out. What a pleasure this is from a TT. Everything actually went fairly well - except for the batteries. There are enough threads out there that cover this so I am not even going to bring up that subject.

I must say thank ya to ATVer - the shower and screen mods saved me! Here are some photos from our visit to Palisades State Park, Manti La Sals Utah.

Here are some photos:

https://drive.google.com/a/justin-co...ew?usp=sharing

Old 04-13-2015, 12:20 PM   #16
MH Noob

Love the work you did - but upset that I have to spend more money!!!
Old 04-22-2015, 12:59 AM   #17

Congrats, I pick up mine Thursday!

Tags
sunseeker