Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #1

New Sunseeker Owner! What should I tow?

Just got a 2011 Sunseeker, withe the F 450? Now I need a 4WD/AWD vehicle to tow? Any and all advice accepted! Need the most simple solution!
Coach C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:46 AM   #2

I can't vouch for "tow-ability", but having owned a Jeep in the past (CJ-7), I can say that the Jeeps are the most versatile. They have lots of options like removable hard top or soft top, etc... And can handle almost any kind of terrain. Good no matter where you are, or what the weather is like.
2015 RAM 2500 4X4, 6.4l hemi, 6sp auto, 3:73 diffs
Equalizer 10,000lb hitch with 1K bars
Swaggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:02 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Hello, and to the forums. Hope you enjoy the stay, and learn a lot, and can teach others what you already know. Hope you enjoy.

As for towing, don't get the cart before the horse. You need to know some numbers, your camper weight ready to camp, what your hitch can pull, and some other stuff. You will need brakes in the vehicle being towed, about $800~$1000 dollars. You will want a vehicle that can be towed 4 wheels down, not all can. Just curious, why 4 wheel drive? There are other things that someone will come along and add. I have a trailer, and don't tow, but this will give you some heads up as to what is coming.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:09 PM   #4

I have a Sunseeker 2300 and tow a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited on all fours. Went with the Blu Ox System and can hook everything up in less than five mins. The E350 has plenty of power and once up to speed you can't even tell your towing anything...unless there's a good wind. Then you feel a little sway depending on how powerful the winds are. I added a anti-sway bar to the 2300 and it handles like a champ.

Be advised...our new 2012 RV was not aligned when we purchased it so we had it done under warranty with Ford. The first time we took it out there was noticeable play on the front end. Between an alignment and sway bar it rides very true now. Also, we only loose about 1 mpg when towing. So far we've taken about 6 major trips from Florida to northern Michigan and its handled the towing with no problems. Good luck on the RV and 4wd vehicle hunt!
bidesheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:38 PM   #5

thanks for the info!
Coach C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #6

Toad

Coach C,
Here are a couple of links for you. The Dinghy Towing Guide has some ads and propaganda, but they gotta pay the bills. It does list the 2012 vehicles, not sure about 2013 vehicles yet.
http://towingworld.com/pdfs/2012_din...wing_guide.pdf

Here is a list of towing laws by state http://www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm
Scroll over tho the right a bit and you can see the column for braking systems on towed vehicles.

Hopes these help some.

Chris in Virginia

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote