Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #1

New Sunseeker....TV/DVD Issues

Hello everyone, my first post here. Just received our new 2013 Sunseeker 3170DS. I finally had time to get in and take some time to learn the coach. We are very exited about this one since is our first RV. The dealer was kind of vague about the function of the tv/DVD set up. I hope I can get some help. Few questions.

1. There are 2 DVD in the coach. One at the Kids Zone ad the other in the front cabin, which one is supposed to play on the TV's. I can play DVD in the Cabin player but I cannot or do not know how to play it in the TV. This cabin DVD payer is hooked up to the surround system so I would think it has to connect to the TV......Help!

2. Is the kids zone unit suppose to play on any other TV or just that one.

3. The ids zone DVD player will not play DVD's. It will take it, make some clicking noise and, after a few seconds, sit it out. My limited knowledge of this devices tell me this is not right and will have to go back to the dealer, but wanted to hear from you, in case I am missing something.

I did looked behind the TV's and could not see any other connections except the Coaxial Antenna cable and the electric supply. This makes me think on "Friday afternoon" Coach? I hope I am wrong.

Merry Christmas and thanks for the Help!
Cjhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #2

I have new 3170 also. The DVD function has been my least favorite. In my opinion, they need another vendor for the 7 in monitor. During daytime driving, the driver can hardly view sunscreen, it's so opaque.

For DVD to work, the switch box in the cabinet has to have DVD selected for whichever tv you want to view it on. All 3 tv's will show a DVD played in the dash player.

Here is the sequence you must follow:

1.) Tv's and player turned off.

2.) Turn on dash radio/player.

3.) Insert DVD and wait until it starts to play, Main Menu.

4.) Make sure switchboard is set to DVD for the tv you want to watch it on.

5.) On tv remote go to channel 4. Just type "4" on remote await until tv changes channel.

These steps must follow in order, at least on my rv. There appears to be a short in my switchbox. I have to keep pressing the DVD button, and sometimes have to pick up and jiggle the switchbox to get the DVD signal to the tv.

Hope this helps.
dpkelly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:36 PM   #3
Commercial Member

The kids zone DVD is just for the kids zone TV. Not sure how handy you are, if you can remove the kids zone DVD player, there was a "shipping" screw that does not get removed in some situations. On the back, there is a screw (clearly marked I'm told" that says to remove before use.

As for the front DVD, that is for the front TV. You have to have the TV on channel 3 in most cases. The antenna booster (little back button where the 12V tv plugs in) must be off or it interferes with the DVD signal. Switch box must be on DVD..

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:32 AM   #4

This helps a lot. I will try this tomorrow and let all of you know. Thanks to all the suggestions. As far as the shipping screw, I my have to take to dealer. They were not very helpful as far as the walk-through when I picked up the coach.
Old 01-01-2013, 11:16 PM   #5

Reply to DVD issues

Thank you all for your advise. I followed the step by step instructions sent to me by one of the members and the only modification I made was that for my TV's they have to be on cannel 3, otherwise it worked. My only complain is the the images are not as sharp as I would have expected, but hey, you can't win them all.
The only issue now is the the kids zone DVD, if it is that a screw was not removed, then is going to have to go back to the dealer.

Thanks again!
Old 01-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #6
Love My Sunseeker

I, too have the 3170 (with the computer desk). I have decided I do NOT like the "put the DVD in the driving cabin front" option. You have to be able to scan Channel 3 to watch it. If the local area does NOT have a Channel 3, it's a pain in the **** to get channel 3 "added." Also, if the cable in the RV park is really bad, the quality of your TV viewing will be only as good as the cable channel 3.

Another thing, you have to point the remote directly to the screen on the driving console. Pain in the **** when it's behind the curtain.

I find it's easier to watch the DVD on the TV in my computer zone (instead of the kids zone). Yeah, I didn't need the middle TV, and I specifically said I didn't need it when I ordered it, but I it got installed anyway. On the other hand, the stereo below that TV is very nice. Hadn't had that option before.
Forest River, DON'T DO THIS AGAIN!

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
As for the front DVD, that is for the front TV. You have to have the TV on channel 3 in most cases. The antenna booster (little back button where the 12V tv plugs in) must be off or it interferes with the DVD signal. Switch box must be on DVD..
I have the "new fangled" antenna shaped like a stealth jet. I have an electric switch where I turn this on or off. I have to have it OFF to watch cable. I don't think I have a "booster" like you describe.

But I have found that if the cable in the RV park is bad, the picture quality of the DVD will only be as good as the cable in the park. On the other hand, if you are watching local channels, if you do not scan in a channel 3, it's a pain in the **** to get channel 3 added.

I don't like this DVD option. On the other hand, I'm glad I don't have the TV/DVD combo. I have had two of those and they were nothing but problems. The DVD would always go POOF and I had to supplement with an external DVD player anyway. Also, TV/DVD combo pulled a lot of amps.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
Commercial Member

I'm not sure what you are turning "off", the disconnect in the step well? All of the units come with an antenna booster. Some are a little black button on the white switch plate that the 12v plugs in to and some are on/off with the switch box...but they must be off to watch park cable. If you have the "non raising, but rotating antenna with the little blue lights" that is the new Jack Digital antenna. Directional, but does not crank up. That needs to be powered off as well to watch cable. Booster is built in.

As for scanning. If you make sure the DVD is in and playing (menu screen is fine) your TV will have NO problem finding that channel. It will read the DVD signal that is coming through as a station.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #9
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkelly3 View Post
All 3 tv's will show a DVD played in the dash player.

5.) On tv remote go to channel 4. Just type "4" on remote await until tv changes channel.

Disagree. The center TV is independent, at least it is on mine. The center TV is connected to a JENSEN radio with CD/DVD player and plays off it. Although my "Switchbox" has settings for three TV's, the switchbox has no effect on the center TV.

Also, I think it depends on what part of the country you are in as to whether it's channel 4 or channel 3. Where I am, it's channel 3. I don't like playing the DVD in the dashboard. And if channel 3 or 4 are not part of the cable system (sometimes Channel 3 is not part of the cable system), it is a pain in the you know what to get channel 3 to work for the DVD. If the cable is sucky where you are at, the quality of the picture will be whatever the quality of the cable is. Same if you have to get channel 3 off the antenna. I haven't yet tried it at a place where you have NO cable, and can't scan channel 3 off the antenna.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #10
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
I'm not sure what you are turning "off", the disconnect in the step well?
Oh, is THAT what that thing is in the step well? I couldn't figure out what it's use was for.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:54 PM   #11
Love My Sunseeker

Quote:
If you have the "non raising, but rotating antenna with the little blue lights" that is the new Jack Digital antenna. Directional, but does not crank up. That needs to be powered off as well to watch cable. Booster is built in.

That is what I am calling the "stealth jet" antenna. Also, I have the thingie in the step well that you mentioned. So, if a booster is built into the "stealth jet" antenna, why do I have the thingie in the step well?

Old 01-03-2013, 08:47 AM   #12
Commercial Member

The thing in the stepwell is the "whole House" disconnect. It cuts off the batteries if you are are not plugged in. So when you leave, you flip the switch so the batteries aren't draining.

Whether its channel 3 or channel 4 has nothing to do with location in the country...depending on the set up, the switch box has a switch that asks you to use channel 3 or channel 4. If you have a DVD in and it is playing you should be able to scan and get that channel very easy...as long as the switch box is set to DVD.

Having said that it feels like we're merging two different issues here...cable & DVD.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #13
Love My Sunseeker

I just checked my "thingie in the stairwell." Well, down by the steps, I, too have a disconnect switch a you describe. But I also have something else in the stairwell, it's attached to a cabinet on the right as you enter the RV. It's not an antenna booster. It's a speaker selector. Apparently, I can shut off some speakers.

One more time for Forest River: STOP doing the "put the DVD in the dashboard" thing. If the cable system at the RV park is bad, your picture quality will only be as good as the picture quality of the cable sytem. (Channel 3 comes in SNOWY at the park I'm at now!) Not to mention, I have to lift the curtain to use the remote control. That's a royal pain! Especially if I am watching a DVD on the TV in the back bedroom! If you are watching a DVD in the bedroom, you do NOT want to get off the bed to go to the front and lift the curtain to use the remote control!

Old 01-04-2013, 09:44 AM   #14
Commercial Member

I'm still confused by the picture quality. One should have nothing to do with the other. So are you saying that the park cable from the campground is interfering with your DVD signal? That has nothing to do with the dash DVD player...no matter where we put the DVD player, we would have to tie it into the switch box. The only solution would be to add a DVD to the back bedroom specific to that TV. Then feed directly into that TV with HDMI cable or A/V.

I get the curtain thing....but there are velcro tabs around the front visor area. Are you just running the curtain straight across the wing walls? You should be able to run the curtain along the front windshield. I'll do take a look on line.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:49 PM   #15
Love My Sunseeker

An engineer friend of mine who is also an avid audiophile looked at it, and he came to the same conclusion. I don't have the antenna booster (or I cannot find one). I have the "stealth jet" antenna. You don't raise it, you just turn it. But to use it you have to turn it "on" or "off." I have it "off" right now since I'm on cable. If the weather is bad, the cable picture quality will be bad. Snowy. And that is if it's a digital channel being pushed through analog. The actual digital channels just start pixelating or completely disappear. Whatever the quality of the cable is, is the quality of the picture you will get. And I have the switchbox set to DVD! The cable system here is Comcast, if that means anything.

On the other hand, it's only "Bad" in my big 37 inch TV in the entertainment center. It's not as bad on the bedroom TV, which is just a 15 inch. Smaller picture, less snow. But it's still not perfect.

On the other hand, get a GREAT picture on the TV in the computer zone (which would be the kids zone if you took that option) because that TV is independent. It's wired to the nice stereo below the TV. Don't need to use the switchbox, although the switchbox can take up to 3 TV's. I prefer to watch DVD's on that TV, except I don't like sitting in the computer chair for 2 hours to watch a movie. (Although the computer chair I got was quite comfy!)

As for my curtain, Yes, the velcro strips go along the top of the windshield. Still a royal pain to lift the curtain to use the remote.

Quote:
I'm still confused by the picture quality. One should have nothing to do with the other. So are you saying that the park cable from the campground is interfering with your DVD signal? That has nothing to do with the dash DVD player...no matter where we put the DVD player, we would have to tie it into the switch box. The only solution would be to add a DVD to the back bedroom specific to that TV. Then feed directly into that TV with HDMI cable or A/V.

I get the curtain thing....but there are velcro tabs around the front visor area. Are you just running the curtain straight across the wing walls? You should be able to run the curtain along the front windshield. I'll do take a look on line.

Old 01-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #16

MR. Clemens,

does the sunseeker version of Jack antenna have the Surelok addition?

thanks
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #17
Commercial Member

The last time I saw one installed it did. That's the little blue meter addition correct? Shows the signal strength before you scan?

Old 01-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #18

Cool

We just got our 2860 last weekend and I have been learning the DVD/TV/speaker setup. The A-B-Both switch on the cabinet end is wired so the A is the front door speakers and the cabin speakers..B is the cabin and the "loft" bed speakers and BOTH is all of them.

My DVD TV picture is also mediam quality compared to the TV channels..they are right on.

Now the question of the day..is the the DVD sound supposed to go to the A-B-Both speakers. The front Jensen TV has both audio out cables going into the cabinet wall where the 3-switch box is but the cables never come out anywhere..that I can see. I have tried differnt menu options for audio out but the TV audio is all I get. I am supposed to have the 5.1 Surround Sound but not sure how you can tell.

Any ideas folks.
Wildkats66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:19 AM   #19
Commercial Member

I'm not exactly sure the specifics of the question...so, let me clarify.
1. You have a DVD in the front dash radio.
2. Said DVD is playing.
3. The audio is only coming through the TV speakers?
4. There is no DVD audio coming out of the surround speakers.

If that is correct. Then yes, you should have DVD sound through the 5.1 surround. I would turn the TV speaker down and try turning up the dash radio. If music is playing from the radio through the speakers, then so should the DVD audio. Outputs are the same.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:20 AM   #20
Commercial Member

PS. I'll be in Denver tomorrow. Bring a DVD and we can check it out.