Old 08-22-2014, 03:08 PM   #11
I have the Ford chassis and am quite happy with it in a larger floorplan. However with the smaller and lighter floorplans you have the option of a Chevy. Test Drive both if you can but at least sit in each. The Ford cab is tighter ( especially on the passenger side) and you should be sure your husband can deal with the confined passenger area. The Ford V10 will out pull the Chevy but unless you will be towing something really heavy the Chevy will do fine.

ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:59 PM   #12
2015 Sunseeker 2300
Thanks for the advice. If we do tow something it would be his Toyota Camry. We drove the Chevy and I thought it drove good. We have a suburban now and they drive the same to me. The 2300 was much nicer ride since I was not having to watch out for a camper behind me. I can't wait to order one!
The larger units are nice but we just do not want to buy more than we need..the 2300 with a sofa option should give use plenty of room and still be small enough to maneuver through towns and gas stations without problems.
Everyone out here has been so helpful I really appreciate all advice..

Gingsnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:47 PM   #13
I prefer the Chevy on the smaller units. Softer ride, large capacity. We only buy one size of Chevy, the 4500 (14,200 lbs rated) on the 2300 we use the E350 which is rated at 12,500 lbs. It still has the V10...but if you don't need the torque the Chevy works great. (and at that weight, the extra torque may not matter)
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message, my inbox fills up too quickly. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only (VIN, Contact info or things you do not want the public to see).
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 09:50 PM   #14
I had a 2300, nice compact unit that you really don't need to tow a car in order to get around wherever you are. Just back out of the campsite and go about your business. Only thing I didn't like was that I had to pull myself out of the bed. Getting too old to do that, so traded for the 2860 DS with the walk around bed, but now I have to tow a car. As typical, pros and cons.

Also got the Ford as I'm usually towing a boat, or car, depending on where I'm going.
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 10:01 PM   #15
I think we are selling our 2013 2860DS with the Chevy 4500. Nothing to do with the unit itself. It's a fantastic MH. It's just we are not using it as a MH as we thought we would. We just putter around the Colorado Springs Front Range and do not travel as we expected. We are looking at the FR 8528 5th wheel. Of course this means we will have to purchase a truck now. But at least we can disconnect and drive around. We did not want to pull a vehicle behind the MH.

So lets wait and see what happens. Gotta sell the 2860 first before we can do anything.
Wildkats66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 07:07 PM   #16
2015 Sunseeker 2300
opinions of the Sunseeker 2300

I apologize if this is not in the right format or "thread" but I am seeking opinions of any 2300 owners. PROS and CONS we are looking to order one in the next month. We are ordering with a sofa vs the dinette. Does anyone have this floor plan and did it give you anymore floor space? there are only 2 of us and we are opting for the smaller unit because of length (easier to handle) and price. My husband has had a stroke but can drive and test drove the 2300 on the highway and did very well. Hoping we are making a good choice. thanks for all opinions..
Gingsnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:19 PM   #17
Hi Singsnap, We just bought a 2015 2860DS, AND I am the driver as well! My husband had a stroke in 2011 and does not drive anymore. We are just now venturing back out into the world and regaining some freedom. I am not very big or strong and I have not had any troubles driving our 28ft motorhome (knock on wood). It is very roomy and comfortable. It has been a blessing for us. Good luck and happy, safe travels. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1417573157.159177.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	979.3 KB
ID:	67034

SoCalLengyels is offline   Reply With Quote