Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to Chrisbrock
NEWBIE - buying first motor home

My wife, 3 kids and I are buying our first RV tomorrow (2014 Sunseeker 3170ds)

We are veterans of the large (40') cabin cruiser boat arena but have decided to move inland with our adventures. For about a decade we have had a 40' Silverton docked at our Marina and used it daily. Correct me if I'm wrong but backing up and driving a 40' boat in the water has to be the hardest vehicle to maneuver in comparison to a large RV, so hopefully learning to drive this puppy won't be as big of a deal.

Would love some input, suggestions and tips from experienced RV'ers. Anything would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

Chris Brock
Global Wedding Photographer
Chrisbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #2

Next question that my wife has is we have 3 children - 7, 5 & 3. I believe in my state like most they have to be in car seats or boosters. Can someone with children please verify the safety laws and best way for the children to ride in the RV

Thanks again
Old 09-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #3

Ours is smaller than yours (2300). The dinette has 4 seat belts. Two of the positions have anchors for car seat tether straps. Our 4 year old granddaughter rides with us in her car seat just like in a car. I'm sure yours has similar provisions for car seats and seat belts.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:43 PM   #4

Chris,
My suggestion is weighting your RV before you start loading it. Stop by a Pilot/Flying J (cost $10.00) or similar truck scale. This would give you an empty gross weight and axles weights. Remember your total GVWR is only 14,500 lbs. Each axle has different maximum weights too. The RV will handle better if it is not overloaded. Also, I would upgrade your Ford steering damper to a heavy steering stabilizer. I installed the Roadmaster model on mine.

Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer for Class C Motor Homes Roadmaster Anti-Sway Bars RM-RSSC

Remember you also need the brackets if you order the stabilizer.

2013 Forester #3051SF
2009 Toyoda Tacoma (toad)
2010 Newmar Dutchstar (Sold)
2011 Fleetwood Bounder (Sold)
trwmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #5

Thanks for the input That Road Master stabilizer looks like it helps.

Does the RV run just fine on Regular 87 octane ?
Old 09-02-2013, 03:01 PM   #6

Yes...

2013 Forester #3051SF
Old 09-02-2013, 05:20 PM   #7

Any other input for a newbie ? Any basic driving tips for a 32' RV ?
Old 09-02-2013, 05:34 PM   #8

Do all new Sunseekers have air bags? I believe they do.

They will be your best friend when it comes to driving in cross winds. Seems a good starting point is 40 to 60 psi and then from there you can adjust to your liking. Just remember they are small bags and do not take much air to fill them.
MotocrossCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #9

You will not have any trouble driving. In tight turns remember the back end will swing out a little in the opposite direction of the turn. Very quickly you will get use to the little push when trucks pass. Not bad and easy to adjust to. No different than adjusting to the wake of a passing boat! You will have to decide about speed. You may be better at first to not try to pass everything on the road. We drive 58-59 mph, get great gas mileage for an RV, and enjoy the ride.
Old 09-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #10

Make sure you get a nice large outdoor HDTV for football games. When I walk over with my lawn chair and beer, I don't want to have squint my eyes to read the stats and scores.

Congrads on the new RV, use it and enjoy it!
1930 lbs CCC
2014 Jeep Rubicon JK
Going where the weather suits my clothes.
Steeljag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 08:14 AM   #11

We have a Sunseeker 3100, which is the same length as your 3170. The hardest part of driving it is gas stops. Sometimes we have to stop at stations that are tight. The steering cut angle is pretty good, so it will turn in some surprisingly tight places, but watch the rear corners closely. There is so much overhang that it swings out a lot. Plan your approach and exit. You can easily pull up to a gas pump and not be able to turn enough to clear the front without having the rear corner swing into a pump or bollard (the large pipes that protect the pumps).

If you are towing a vehicle, before you go on a trip, take it to a large parking lot. With someone watching and in communication, drive slowly while turning the steering wheel until you have reached full lock to be sure your towed vehicle will not hit the corner of the RV. Mark the path of the RV rear tire and check whether or not the towed vehicle will pass inside of that mark. Ours does not, so I know that even at full lock if the RV's rear tire will clear a curb, the towed vehicle will, too. I actually had both the RV and the towed car tires just touch a curb once! I learned the hard way to NOT drive an RV in the old part of Santa Fe! (There was street construction and the sign for our turn was missing.)

One thing to watch for is the front end alignment. There have been several threads about this problem with the Ford E-450. If it pulls to one side, you need to have it checked. One participant in this forum, bclemens, is a FR representative. He stated that sometimes the alignment changes over the course of about 3000 miles, so it may be best to drive it a while before you have anything done. I suggest you search this forum when you have time for more information. Talk with your dealer if you have a problem. You may have to take it to a truck shop. None of the Ford dealers in our area have an alignment bay large enough for a Class C.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:06 PM   #12
2014 Sunseeker 2650S

We are in the same situation, no local Ford Dealer with bay big enough. However, we did find two truck shops not too far away that can do it.

You may also want to ask if they can do the custom alignment that bclemens posted a while back. Our local truck shops said not a problem.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...0-a-20614.html
Joseph Carozzoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 06:25 PM   #13

Just under 2 years with a 36' Class A. You will have no problems driving, just take your time, don't cut anything short, always swing wide and you will have no problem. Also, a lot of weight following you so give extra time to stop.

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #14

Do not exceed 60mph, this is a safe steady speed especially when towing a vehicle. Always, let the faster traffic pass you and stay in the middle or right lanes on Interstates. Use the Tow/Haul button when traveling in areas with hills to save your brakes and help slow you down. Remember you should never be in a hurry when traveling on the highway.

A front tire blow-out at speeds over 60mph could be a disaster. Installing a heavy steering stabilizer will assist you with control during a front tire blow-out. Maintain correct tire and rear air spring pressures.

2013 Forester #3051SF
Old 09-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #15

Search for alignment. If it drives like a beast, white knuckle, what did I buy this, get the front end aligned with the cam bushings, before you take a long trip.
We just but the grandkids in their booster seat. They prefer sitting on the bunk couch and watch TV.
If DW players puzzles, one will sit with booster at the forward facing dinette seat..
Have fun.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 06:59 PM   #16
Sunseeker 2500TS owner

I am new to class C, never driven one before this May. We have a Sunseeker 2500TS, it is 28 feet long, on the Ford 450. It drives pretty good, both local and interstate. I keep my airbags at 60 lbs. We have had it out 5 times so far and I find after a little time getting used to it, driving it is pretty easy. Believe me, in the beginning I was not sure about driving it. I find that obeying the speed limits both local and interstate is a good idea, it does not drive like a car but watching your speed is important. When making turns, especially right turns, turn a little wide and check your mirror, it is easy to clip something if you turn too close. We have the cameras in the mirrors and rear. Checking the monitor when turning takes some practice but the mirror cameras show your blind spots very clearly, especially when changing lanes on the interstate. On real windy days you will notice the wind. Also, when a 18 wheeler passes me in lane next to me on interstate, I noticed it, otherwise ride is pretty stable. Good luck and enjoy it is fun......
ejkkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #17

Thanks for all the tips everyone! I have practiced several times now driving and parking.

Question. Does everyone feel it's important to have 2nd deep cycle coach battery?
Old 09-05-2013, 04:25 AM   #18

A second battery is only needed if you plan to do a lot of camping without shore power. We stay mostly at federal and state parks that have (at least) electric. On occasion we have overnighted at Walmart or even a rest area. No problem with having enough battery for one night plus there is always the generator if needed. I don't have any plans to add a second battery, but again, it depends on the type of camping you will be doing.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:47 AM   #19
Commercial Member

Other than the 2250...the 2nd battery is standard now.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:19 AM   #20

I, also, came from a life of boating (everything from day sailers and small cabin cruisers to 50' trawlers in the bahamas as a kid) and was looking to buy a bigger sailboat when my wife had a brilliant idea and we bought our 2013 leprechaun 317SA a couple of weeks ago. I was a little nervous about switching to the RV life, but I can tell you, after just one trip out, I'M HOOKED!

Everyone here has given you great advice and I'm glad you asked b/c some of it pertains to me as well! I worried about batteries as well, coming from boating and having a 3 battery bank, managing amps, etc. But our RV has an ONAN generator. I don't worry at all now! We ran it overnight with the AC on, barely made a dent in the gas tank and worked great!

Hope you enjoy your Sunseeker as much as we are enjoying our Leprechaun!

2013 Coachmen Leprechaun 317SAF
1998 Seaward Fox Cat rigged trailerable sailboat
Our Lake Life Blog
TimeOutRV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags