Old 10-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #1

Question Newbie Ignorance

We have a new Sunseeker 2690S and have a Lot of questions that the dealer doesn't seem able to answer. What got into me? Don't ask.

First is manual retraction of the slide if necessary. The first fellow said, "It's covered in the manual." It wasn't, or not clearly enough to understand.
The second said, "Oh, don't worry. They're reliable." Right.

Second, the water heater bypass valve. The winterization instructions tell me what to do with it, but not where it is. Peering at the water heater through the outside door doesn't do it.

Thirdly, weight loading limits in the exterior compartments. My husband was about to load his tool box into the aft compartment when I pointed out that it was a (roughly) 2x3 ft sheet of laminated fiberglass appears about 1/8 in thick. The tool box (50 lbs, 1x2 ft) looks like it would go through on the first bump. No one seemed to have a feel for whats allowed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

geri

Old 10-10-2012, 12:01 PM   #2

to the forum by the way, I am sure that some one with your particular model will chime in with all the answers

In the meantime the bypass valve is usually at the rear of your water heater along with water pump, filter etc, and is probably accessed through a removable panel or cupboard or both whilst lying on your belly and bending your neck exorcist style to see whats going on......

2011 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8280ws
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 Diesel
http://www.algarvevillaforrent.com
Nigels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
Coachmen Adrenaline

Can you post a pic of the laminated fiberglass compartment you are worried about? The trunk boxes used in all units are Rotocast ABS and they are easily capable of handling a 50lb tool box. For better instructions on the slideout manual operation I would go to youtube and search for Lippert slideout. That should bring up numerous videos of which you can choose to watch. You have a standard Lippert slide, not the Schwintek. If you lift up the mattress, you should see a rotoport cover. By opening this up you should be able to get to the valve. VERY worst case you have to take out a few screws and remove the bed board to get to it.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #4
GM

Here is the video of en electric slide retraction. HOWEVER this is for a "through frame" system on a trailer. That exact same motor is under your 2690 slide out...but it faces DOWN. If you look under the slide out room on the roof of the storage compartment you will see this same motor and the shaft. Same process.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:51 AM   #5
GM

We start winterizing our production units for shipping the first of October. They said I can video the process later today. I'll post as soon as its done.
PLEASE do not send questions via Private Message. Post questions in the forum as a new thread so that other users can benefit from the answers. Use Private Messages for sensitive information only. Our owners manuals are available online and via iPhone/Android Apps. http://www.dynamaxcorp.com/OnlineManual.aspx
Old 10-11-2012, 09:56 AM   #6
Graduate Member

HA - did we buy ours at the same dealer? Our "walk-through" lasted 20 minutes. Thanks - i just bought a driveable house and now I know everything I need to know in 20 minutes (they didn't even MENTION the slides could be manually done).
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #7
GM

The "walk through" of my actual home and pool lasted all of "here are the keys". lol.

Don't get me wrong...I think the walk through should be thorough. Just using this for reference. I have had great car demos and really bad ones. Cars, at least have a pretty good manual.

However, on MOST products. Cars, software, etc...I have found forums like this to be the most beneficial. Real life, specific experience.

I will say I'm a bad "walk through receiver" I don't have the patience to sit through 2 hours of stuff I'll never remember or already know just to get that one nugget I didn't know. Google is my savior. What in the world did people do before Google?
Old 10-11-2012, 11:45 AM   #8
Graduate Member

Yeah - I see what your saying. But we had never been "IN" an RV, much less used one before.

But I totally agree, this place has been our saving grace. I don't want to even mention all the stupid mistakes we've made in just the first few short months... Oye!

Ok - I'll mention the Least embarrassing one. Oh, and this might help Geri. We use our RV mainly for visiting the in-laws farm (so we can have a little elbow room). These visits are weekenders only.

First visit the shower backs up on the very last day, last shower. Oops, there's about a 1/2 inch of water. No problem, we think, this is just the gray water tank reaching capacity after a full weekend of use. We dump and go home - don't give it a second thought.

Fast forward a month - time for the next roadtrip to see the inlaws. Shower backs up on first use. We're flumoxed. WTH...those dirty #%#$@ salespeople! Sold us a rental (when we specifically said no rental, but that's another story), and now we have an RV with bad plumbing!

On a hope, I dump the gray tank. Shower doesn't drain. I have read about the plumbing sometimes being crossed, so I dump the black tank. Shower doesn't drain. I'm getting pretty annoyed and start contemplating what I'm going to say to the salesman when we return this POS.

I get a plunger. Shower doesn't drain. I get Draino. Shower doesn't drain.

Fine, we go to dinner and decide to tackle it in the morning. Our anniversary dinner, btw.

Next morning FIL offers to "take a look". He asks me what the handle is underneath the RV, directly under the shower. Dunno, I say. He pulls it. Yep, a SECOND gray tank, just for the shower! Had no idea!

So yeah, Bclemens, I totally understand where you're coming from. I'm the same way - and yes, most of this is experience based knowledge and asking specific questions on forums like this (thank you all for being here). But Holy Komoly, somebody coulda pointed out "hey, you have to drain the shower with this handle".... :/

So now we sheepishly have learned a little more about our second home, and are looking forward to our first actual "camping" trip (not at the inlaws) this weekend!
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #9
GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
We start winterizing our production units for shipping the first of October. They said I can video the process later today. I'll post as soon as its done.
OK, so they forgot about me. It may take a little longer. We pressure test the lines, so they only winterize the P-traps & pump, not the whole system. I may have the winterize the whole thing.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #10
Love My Sunseeker

OH don't get me started on owners manuals. They never fully explain anything. They make the owners manuals so light so that people won't feel overwhelmed, but they don't fully explain everything. I agree with you. It just says, "by pass the water heater valve by doing such and such." But. um...... WHERE IS THE DARN THING?!?!?!?!? AND IF YOU ARE REALLY NEW, WHAT IN THE HECK IS A BYPASS VALVE?

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote