Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2012, 12:23 PM   #1

Newbie Purchasing a Sunseeker 3170DS

Well after years of research, renting and listing to the family beg to get a RV I am ready to take the plunge. We have decided on a new Sunseeker 3170DS . This is a bunk house model Class C and will work best for my family of five. We have picked out all of the options and colors and now comes the next step, negotiations. What we would like to do is, negotiate a price with our local dealer, but we will get quotes from others as well. We would then like to arrange pick up of the unit at the factory and do a drive back vacation next June and July 2013. A few questions:

1. Is 70% of MSRP a good place to start negotiations at?
2. Considering our time frame should we negotiate for a 2014 model when pickup will be last week of June/first week of July 2013?
3. If you have this model, what suggestions do you have?
4. Any body do a factory pickup and have any pointers?

Thanks,

Gregg in Alaska
WoodbneK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I can't help with your question but I will move the thread to the Sunseeker forum for better exposure. Good luck with your purchase, Gregg!

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #3

Check prices with rvdirect.com. We paid just over 60% of MSRP.
Old 06-04-2012, 03:15 PM   #4

I just called and got 2 estimates from the large wholesaler dealers online and took them to 2 of my local dealers in South Carolina. One was RV Wholesaler in Ohio, and the other was another dealer up that way I found selling on Ebay. Unfortunately neither of my local dealers could come anywhere close to RV Wholesaler, so that is where I went.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodbneK View Post
2. Considering our time frame should we negotiate for a 2014 model when pickup will be last week of June/first week of July 2013?

Gregg in Alaska
We spoke before. Make sure you talk to ABC, I know the owner, he has staff that stay here in Elkhart to handle rental pick ups. Can't imagine why they wouldn't do the same. Plus, that gives you a good relationship if you need local service.

As for pricing...you're a bit early. No one is going to lock in a price for a unit getting picked up in 2013. We'll have at least 2 price increase before then and many of our colors will change before then. Ford will give us an increase for 2013 chassis (coming this fall) and we will take a material increase this fall as well. You best bet is to hammer out the details in February/March of 2013 when the pricing will be fixed, or get it now before the increases.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #6

Still In the Hunt.

Thanks every one for your replies. I have been in contact with my local dealer, RV Direct, other dealers and a Forest River representative. It looks as if I might have a Cargo Carry Capacity issue with the 3170. I will let you know what we decide, when we order and take delivery.

Gregg in Alaska
WoodbneK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 02:09 AM   #7

Dear Woodbnek
I purchased a 2011 3170DS - bunkhouse model. Did all of the research, e-bay shopping, etc. etc. I ended up purchasing my unit from a RV dealer in Michigan, gave me the best price.

However, when I took it to the RV dealer where I live - they were sort of put out, so when I had a few warenty items for repair/fix/replace/align - they basically told me that Forest River was to difficult to work with and refused my request.

I found another larger RV dealer (slightly out of the way - about 30miles) and chatted with them - they have been happy to fix/replace/repair/align everything I had issues with. I like my unit and yes the cargo cap is a little low for my needs, I am thinking of purchasing a twin-axle trailer (plus I can carry my goldwing) and reduce the weight in the RV, but add it to the trailer. 2000pds vs 7000pds (according to the spec's from FR.)

A couple things that the RV dealers were issues!
Wind noise from Coach door
Awning off by about 1/2 inch front to back when rolled-in (causing the the awning to be slightly off)
Rear slide-out - also off by about 1 gear notch - so when retracted there is a small gap between side and slide.
Had an opening under the front slide out - you could feel wind at your feet!
The coach is very hard to lift up to be able to access underneath.
Check the rearview camera - mine was installed incorrectly and had to be replaced.
Have the dealer drill a second hole in the plastic floor where the black/grey outlets are. The existing hole was not at the lowest position - so any drips puddled!

Anyway, good luck.

Michael

Price-wise - I was able to get to about 63% plus big-foot leveling and full paint thrown in for an additional on the spot $1000.
maiseymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 11:53 AM   #8

Sunseeker Newbie 2

I hope it is okay that I am tagging along on this post...I, too, am looking to buy the sunseeker 3170ds and am worried about the addition of the self leveling jacks significantly affecting my ccc. Anyone else with the same concern? Also, we got a quote from RV direct and no dealer has been able to come close.
Cmitchell40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #9

I ordered the 3170 from RVDirect last week. Price is very good. Not too concerned about CCC, just have to get used to it. I ordered mine with leveling jacks.
dpkelly3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 12:34 AM   #10

CCC with leveling jacks - yep you will be close to the limit - last year I weighed in (family and stuff onboard with gas and propane tank full / black, grey, h2o tank empty) in at 15, 400 - over the limit. This year - I did alot of pairing down, weigh in at 14,600 better but still over 14,500 limit.
I am actually thinking about pulling a trailer with Goldwing - and then moving some of my heavy stuff (tools, etc.) onbaord the trailer - the max CCC with trailer is 22,000, so I should get under the limit onboard.
This ease of pulling into a site, sliding plates under the jacks (on soft ground) and pressing a button - verse trying to build lego ramps - etc. I will take the self leveling jacks!!!!
maiseymt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags