Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2014, 09:22 PM   #1

Newbie to the RV life- 2014 sunseeker 3170ds

So, after initial purchase, does anyone have any recommendations on what to look and ask for or about when your doing the mandatory 1-2 hr education walk through at the dealership?

We are def virgins to this process and do not want to be sorry we didn't check the right stuff on our new toy. Any recs would be appreciated ; )
seamoorebeemoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 09:59 PM   #2

Hello welcome to the forum and to RVing. In the library section under miscellaneous documents there is a PDI checklist. It will be very helpful for you to take along and hopefully that will give you just the information you are looking for.

Great forum here with lots of wonderful people so ask away. Congratulations!
Old 09-25-2014, 10:00 PM   #3

I forgot to check water level in batteries.... Wish I would have.
poorbuthappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:04 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Hello and welcome. Congrats on the new sunseeker. Videotape your pdi. Basically if it opens, closes, turns on or off you want it Demonstrated and you return the demo. Check all caulking, slide seals, etc. Make sure the microwave doesn't just run but actually heats too (boil a cup of water). Make them fix anything not right before handing over any money. Be prepared to leave it there for a few days or a week or two if necessary. Learn about lie point drains and dump valves (check out The geo method for tank management).

Here is a link to the Pdi checklist in the forums library.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2014, 10:28 PM   #5

Thank you guys so much! This is an enormous help to us!
Old 09-25-2014, 10:29 PM   #6
Site Team

X2 on checking everything. It seem that one item that is skipped is the one item doesn't seem to work later on when needed.

A good service department will check everything and fix any issues prior to your arrival. Use your smartphone to take pictures and video parts you are not familiar with. Ask questions and repeat until you are comfortable. Good notes are helpful too.

Driveway camping is a great way to refresh your memory on what you have been taught. Some members will camp close to home to test out the waters too.

Have fun and remember that we are here if you have any questions.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:52 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Oh yeah, make them show you how to winterize and dewinterize. We see lots of how to posts on this.

Terrier- we did just that... we checked to make sure the microwave ran but didn't check to make sure it heated. Low and behold, go to use it on maiden voyage and it wouldn't anything up. We got a whole new microwave installed for that one.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 05:35 AM   #8

Check for the infamous crack on the 3170 front slide. You'll have to pull back the rubber a little to see it. Also look under the slides for body damage. Mine had it but I didn't notice it until after 6 months.
Sun.ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:04 AM   #9

Welcome from South Florida!! Enjoy the Sunseeker as we love ours!!
Old 09-26-2014, 07:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by asquared View Post
Oh yeah, make them show you how to winterize and dewinterize. We see lots of how to posts on this.

Terrier- we did just that... we checked to make sure the microwave ran but didn't check to make sure it heated. Low and behold, go to use it on maiden voyage and it wouldn't anything up. We got a whole new microwave installed for that one.

We took a bag of popcorn and tested the microwave with that. Dealer looked at me like I was nuts but still ate a handful of popcorn 😀
jrwalkerpa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamoorebeemoore View Post
So, after initial purchase, does anyone have any recommendations on what to look and ask for or about when your doing the mandatory 1-2 hr education walk through at the dealership?

We are def virgins to this process and do not want to be sorry we didn't check the right stuff on our new toy. Any recs would be appreciated ; )
You being new to this - there will be a lot to digest. Since every RV is different in its own way (travel trailer, motorhome) you will want specific information on your unit such as operating on generator power or shore power.
What I would do is made your own pdi list but for you its not just a pre-delivery inspection but a full orientation. Your list should start with the items from the Sunseeker standards and options list. Using this will orientate you on the specifics of your unit such as a/c with heatpump. If you have this option you need to be shown how to operate it as well as the propane furnace.
The list can be as long and detailed as you like with things like locations of waterpump, slideout controls, manual slideout operation, waterheater electric element operation, battery operation and the integration between coach batteries and chassis batteries.

Most folks blame the dealer for not conducting a proper orientation but the dealer does this kind of thing all day long so its routine to them. They don't know the level of experience of each RVer , some are veterans and still don't have all the knowledge of a new unit.
Don't let them rush you out of there. In fact, after they finish the orientation, you should go back over the list with you showing the orientator what you just learned.

The time spent on this training will make the ownership a more pleasant experience.

Bobby
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 03:17 PM   #12

Any recommendations on the extended warranty offered by company, tire/road hazard add-ons when making the initial purchase?
Old 09-26-2014, 03:19 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgahlhoff View Post
Welcome from South Florida!! Enjoy the Sunseeker as we love ours!!

Thanks! We're hoping to make one of our first trips to S. Florida! Any camp recommendations?
Old 09-26-2014, 05:05 PM   #14

For a new owner my first recommendation is to camp in your driveway for a weekend and get your list of things you need figured out. Plus this will allow you a chance to put the MH through a sort of test to see how everything works.
If the driveway isn't an option pick a park as close to home as possible.
howzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:53 PM   #15

Congrats & welcome

There are no (will not be) any foolish questions... Ask anthing, and welcome aboard!

Congrats! This IS the life stlye....
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 06:54 PM   #16

The foolish ones are the best
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 07:17 PM   #17

We recently took delivery of our 4th new camper in 6 years, the dealer was very thorough. The unit was set up the night before and the refrigerator was running as well as both AC. I took a infrared thermometer to check the temp of the refrig/freeze, AC outlets as well as the furnace when we turned it on. Check the operation of every function; slide in-out, manual retraction/extension of the slides and stabilizers, all the lights, water pump, light the stove/oven, test the microwave. take a music and movie CD/DVD to test the entertainment system, raise the antenna and check the TV reception, flush the toilet and run the shower and check all water lines for leaks. Take a tester and check outlets for reverse polarity. Make sure the water heater works on AC and propane as well as the refrigerator. Operate the awning and make sure all windows and emergency exits open as they should. Get up on top and check the roof, AC and vents for cracks, etc. Have them demonstrate how to hook up city water, fill the fresh water tank and empty the holding tanks and how to winterize the water system. Using our check-list we found a defective microwave and DVD player. Main thing is don't rush it, take you time (we took 3 hours) and go thru everything before you sign the papers.
Sirsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:55 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamoorebeemoore View Post
Any recommendations on the extended warranty offered by company, tire/road hazard add-ons when making the initial purchase?

Look in to the Good Sam extended
It is very different from what the dealer sells and you can pay as you go as opposed to financing a policy that will end up costing thousands more
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 08:59 PM   #19

We were given a paper back book on RV basics it is a great reference and reminder of how things operate
Sorry it's in the unit so I don't recall the title but this book was a big help in the early days
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 03:08 PM   #20

There should be a forest river delivery checklist with your paperwork that covers most of what was mentioned. Have the dealer demonstrate the fridge starting on gas with no house power and then disconnecting house power. You might want to bring some string tags to label all the little valves demonstrated. Another issue on the forum is how to get the DVD to work on all the TVs. Check the low point drain valve and plug to make sure they closed/tight.
kswing60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2014, 3170, newbie, sunseeker