Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2015, 10:22 AM   #1
Wig

Newbie - Winterizing question

We just purchased a new Sunseeker and are wondering how low the temperature would need to go before it becomes necessary to winterize. We live in central Texas. Because we intend to use the RV in a few weeks, we would prefer not to winterize unless it is necessary to protect the pipes. Next week the lows are predicted to be 32 and 33 degrees.
Thanks.
Wig
Wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 01:59 PM   #2

The temperature would have to be below 32 for a sustained period of time for the pipes to freeze IMO. To be safe, you could always put a space heater inside the coach on those chilly nights.
Owned 2015 Sunseeker 3010DS previously
raoulwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 02:05 PM   #3
Wig

Thanks
Wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:13 AM   #4
Love My Sunseeker

If you are concerned, a lot of RV dealers "winterize" without touching the bypass. This means you can "just use it" after it's winterized. If you want to do this yourself without touching the bypass, my understanding is you have to "blow out" everything with an air compressor.

I love my Sunseeker, when I'm on a trip I don't wanna go home!!!"

Total days camping each year: AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!
DXSMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:26 AM   #5

If you choose to just blow out the water lines, drain the water heater anyway. You can't blow the water out of it. The compressed air will just bubble though the water and go out the hot water outlet. The gas flue is submerged in the water and cold air will circulate through it by convection, cooling the water. It may take a long period of below freezing temperatures, but it could freeze up. It's not that hard to drain. Just be sure the water pressure is off, open a hot and a cold faucet, and remove the drain plug/anode with a 1 1/16" socket, extension and long handle ratchet or pull handle. Get out of the way. If water is hot, watch out. Replace the drain plug / anode using Teflon tape or pipe sealant.
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:39 AM   #6
Commercial Member

All depends on how you use it. The tanks on all but the 2250 are heated and enclosed. Which means as long as the furnace is running you are pushing furnace air into the holding tank area. That includes valves, fresh water, black, gray tanks, water filter and water pump.

There is a owner on there that got caught in the mountains. Dropped into the 20's at night, back up to the 30's during the day and his tanks never dropped below 48. I have ben skiing in a 2650.

Now if it is there for storage...that is another question. You would be better off blowing it out or as others have said a space heater of some sort with a t-stat. However, the small water lines that run to the fixtures need protected as well.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:40 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wig View Post
We just purchased a new Sunseeker and are wondering how low the temperature would need to go before it becomes necessary to winterize. We live in central Texas. Because we intend to use the RV in a few weeks, we would prefer not to winterize unless it is necessary to protect the pipes. Next week the lows are predicted to be 32 and 33 degrees.
Thanks.
Wig
In Waco they just blow out the water lines, empty the water heater and drain the holding tank. No issues for 10 years.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newbie, winter, winterize