Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2015, 09:21 PM   #21
2014 Berkshire 360QL

Niagara Falls Border Crossing

A friend or ours who does woodworking as a hobby, takes his mistakes and left over pieces of wood (no tree logs) to burn in the fire pit with most of it being used to start the fire. At the Canadian side of the border he was told he could not bring the wood into the country. He offered to give it up but was told they could not take it and that he had to go back to the US and get rid of it. He turned around and went back to the US but was told he could not enter the US with the wood. After much discussion, he said he was going to stay overnight at a local US campground (it was getting late) and would leave it there. They wanted to know the name of the campground and then followed up with a call to the campground to be sure he stayed there and left the wood there.
Richard D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:46 PM   #22

You are not to transport wood across the border. It is mainly because to the emerald ash borer. In Ontario you cannot transport fire wood from one jurisdiction. They want you to purchase the firewood in the area you are camping at. Too many people do not follow the rules because of the cost of firewood at the CG. They are also in a position to transport the insects from home or from the CG to their home.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:23 PM   #23
2014 Berkshire 360QL

caper - we agree with you but the point is that if you do have wood, you are caught in the middle of not being able to go into Canada and also not being able to go back into the USA. They had one heck of a time forgetting the almost 4 extra hours of waiting to cross either border. One other point, the wood was waste construction material and not raw fire wood.
Richard D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjlavin View Post
Understood why you want to stay on the American side. Trust me though, the view from the Canadian side is easily 100x better imho.

X2

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:35 PM   #25

firewood

in Ontario we are tying to defeat emerald ash borer so even in Ontario we cant transfer from one area to another area firewood Sorry Bob
backwoodsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 10:48 PM   #26

Quote:
caper - we agree with you but the point is that if you do have wood, you are caught in the middle of not being able to go into Canada and also not being able to go back into the USA. They had one heck of a time forgetting the almost 4 extra hours of waiting to cross either border. One other point, the wood was waste construction material and not raw fire wood.
That is why you must be careful of what you try to take across the border. We had a dog and his food is manufactured in the US. When the US was restricting the importing of beef to the US we could not bring the dog food that contained beef across the border even though it was manufactured in the US.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:50 PM   #27

firewood to canada

hate to say it but the last time my wife & I went to USA we spent 7 hours at customs , immigration, full xray of coach and the main worry was what type of dog food not if we had firewood sorry Bob
backwoodsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 11:49 PM   #28

I have not been to the US for 3 years now. Last time we went over hit "zero" hour at the boarder. This is when all the cars that are at the windows at the time have to go inside. Once inside there is only one custom officer to do the investigation. We were lucky to be at window 2 because we were the second booth to be questioned. The custom officer asked the same 9 or 10 questions over and over again. I think he was trying to see if I would change what I was saying. After 1 hour of questioning we had to fill a questionnaire out with the same questions that we had just answered for the past hour. He then had to search our vehicle. I informed him that our dog was in the truck and I could go with him. He told me to sit down and not move till he returned. Our small dog almost took his head off when he opened the door. The officer came back in and informed me that me dog was too aggressive and he almost had to shoot it. Makes me not want to go back to the USA again.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:53 PM   #29

It is a pain in the butt at the border - I live near the border, we hardly ever go across because of the hassle!! It is shorter, I will grant you that, but if you hit the border at rush hour or on the weekends - FORGET ABOUT IT!!
nikita is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome