Old 08-24-2019, 05:46 PM   #1

No battery power

Someone.... Probably me left the battery switch on and two new batteries for drained. I plugged into 20amp wall power for an hour. Still not enough juice to start generator. I then drove for 2hours and used jump box to start generator. Drove 2hrs with generator on. When I stopped and shut off generator I had no power..... Just as if switch was off. It wasn't. It has to be fuse or relay I would assume. Thoughts? When I plug cigarette outlet volt meter In the house 12v outlet it get nothing. Just as if battery switch is off. All worked with generator running.

jlwardn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 05:53 PM   #2

Check voltage at batteries while trying to charge.

babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:30 PM   #3

Some converter / chargers will not charge a fully drained battery. Can you put an auto charger on the batteries to start charging them? Plug it into a 120 outlet while generator running. Get a voltage reading on the battery terminals to verify that the batteries are getting a charge. Once they have a charge try your regular converter / charger. Again get a voltage reading to confirm a charge voltage is present.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:14 PM   #4

You should check your fuse panel there are a couple of 30 amp fuses for the batteries.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:34 PM   #5

I'm at a rest stop. Used jump box to start generator. At 12volt outlet near panel/dinette I have 13.61 volts while running Gen. At batteries I get nothing. Fuse panel only has 15amp fuses.... All fine no red lights. Must be converter not charging completely drained batteries. Too bad I'm on the road with not mant supplies.
Old 08-24-2019, 08:43 PM   #6
Site Team

On some units the 30-40A reverse polarity fuses are on the back of the converter. i would check the fuse panel again as they are sometime not in the rows with the 15/20A fuses. If you have power at the converter and none at the battery, it is most likely the reverse polarity fuses.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 03:15 PM   #7

In my fuse panel to the right of all the 15a fuses there are three 25 amp fuses by themselves marked battery reverse.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:08 PM   #8

I will have to check again. I had not power to slide out bed and could barely get face under it to see the fuse panel. I did get one brand new battery thinking I could at least limp home. Still no power after new battery install so it clearly is something else.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:58 PM   #9

I am home now and checked the two 35am fuses on back of converter. They are both fine. Here is what is odd. My two new batteries for sure went dead because of the battery switch left on. When they were low I had a hard time getting generator to start. Had to have vehicle running and still just jump box. Ran generator for 2 hours and it did not charge batteries. On the way home I bought new battery and still had nothing. Once home I noticed I could start the generator easily since it clearly was taking its power from the new battery. What does not make sense is not having any 12 volt power throughout the house. Could battery switch be bad? What would be other reason why no power and no charging batteries while generator running. It is probably not the converter since I have 12 volt lights when generator running. I am at a loss here.
Update: I just pulled out the switch and measure power on the back. I have no power when switch is ON....and no power(obv) when power off. I am not sure the leads go directly to the switch right off of the battery. Maybe this will help point me in the right direction.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:01 PM   #10

have you checked the circuit breakers on the generator itself? and the circuit breaker in the distribution panel that feeds the converter? flip them off and back on to reset them.

Tags
battery, power