Old 02-16-2015, 07:48 PM   #1

No power from house batteries until coach is started

My 3170ds has been stored out side all winter unplugged and about once a month I will go out and start the coach and gen. The main house switch is set to off. When I turn it on nothing works like the batteries are dead. I start the coach and after a few seconds I hear a click by the battery box. Then everything works fine. Is this normal? If I turn the coach off it still shows batteries at full charge and there is no way the alternators could charge them this fast. Any ideas. Thanks.

Old 02-17-2015, 05:44 AM   #2

First, the indicator lights on your battery meter: After even a brief charge time, the "surface" charge on the battery will show all four lights. It does not mean the battery is charged. Best way to use the lights is to turn on the battery disconnect switch (before starting engine or generator) and take a reading. My guess is you have a completely dead battery.

Starting the engine will provide power to the chassis battery at first. The click you hear is a relay opening the circuit so that the engine alternator is also providing power to the coach 12 volt system. It will also charge the coach battery, however this will not be done in just a few minutes. (This also provides power to start the generator. Once the generator is running, it will provide power through the converter to charge the battery).

If your coach battery has been completely depleted (and left like that for even a short period of time) it likely is ruined. You could remove it and take it to an auto parts store to be tested. If it is still usable, put it on a good charger at home before returning it to the coach. It's OK to leave it in the coach for the winter if you charge it often and long enough to restore its full capacity.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy

Old 02-17-2015, 10:52 AM   #3

Thanks for the help. I pull the house batteries tonight and see if they are any good. When I leave it plugged in it seems to boil the batteries. That's another problem in itself for spring cleaning. Thanks again.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:59 AM   #4
Site Team

You don't say where you are located, but if your house batteries are completely dead and you are up north where the weather has been very cold, they could freeze and crack. Be careful removing them.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 05:45 PM   #5

If your batteries are boiling when left plugged in, you may have a problem with your converter. They are suppose to charge, then reduce to maintain batteries. How old is your MH? It may be time for a new converter. The newest ones are especially good at maintaining batteries.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 02-17-2015, 10:25 PM   #6

2013. I have been reading threads on the progressive dynamics one. I want to change it out this spring.

I checked the batteries tonight and they where at 2 lights. I put my Optima charger on it and I will see what happens. They don't seem to be frozen. This is one bad ass charger and if it says their bad, they are.
Old 02-17-2015, 10:32 PM   #7

Oh ya, I have 2 group 27, 12 volt. If that matters.

Tags
power, battery