Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2015, 07:54 AM   #1

Noob question

I am about to go out for the first time ever with an RV. I purchased a 2013 Sunseeker 3170DS. I am up to about the 30th page in this forum so have no problem reading. Question I have is:

When do you turn the coach better switch by the door on? When parked I am plugged in, and all is fine. When driving Fridge runs on Propane (does that switch need to be on for fridge when driving even on propane?)

I have used it in my driveway just to turn a light on if not plugged in, but that is about it. I just think if not connected, Gen will be on, and if connected, you would not need it. I'm sure I am missing something here. Just looking for info on when I would need the switch turned on. Thanks!
desant89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:01 AM   #2

Are you referring to the battery switch by the door? If so, I believe it needs to be on.

Bob, Diane & Snoopy
2018 3050s Sunseeker
Santabobswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:02 AM   #3

The fridge, even though it runs on propane, takes 12 volt power supply to run the brains of the fridge. Also, I may be wrong here, but it should be on when you are on shore power to keep it charged. In my 2860, it runs the in-dash entertainment system too.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:35 AM   #4
clr

Short answer the batteries should be connected when you are using the RV that includes driving down the road. You should only use the battery disconnect when not using the RV with no shore AC power. Hope this helps. Have a nice day.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 04:05 PM   #5

I found that out the hard way. We had our unit on shore power the nite before leaving for camping and had the fridg on for cooling. Turned battery switch off before we went to bed and got up then next morning and started packing the fridge and noticed it wasn't cold anymore. Yes, make sure you have the battery switch on when ever using your motorhome with shore power, generator, etc.
2016 Forester 3171DS (ordered March & arrived June 2015)
benagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by benagi View Post
I found that out the hard way. We had our unit on shore power the nite before leaving for camping and had the fridg on for cooling. Turned battery switch off before we went to bed and got up then next morning and started packing the fridge and noticed it wasn't cold anymore. Yes, make sure you have the battery switch on when ever using your motorhome with shore power, generator, etc.
I can tell you something is different in mine. I have not had that switch on at all other than showing someone the unit without having shore power so I can turn on the lights. Other than that, I had it off 100% of the time when plugged in. However, I tested my fridge, it ran all day on shore power with that switch being in the off position.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:04 AM   #7
clr

That switch is the battery disconnect switch and its function is just that to disconnect the battery. When you are plugged into shore power the converter will produce 12 vdc for the coach. So you are correct the ref will work just fine with the disconnect switch operated when plugged into shore power. Of course your batteries are not being charged by the converter as they should be. So nothing is different on you unit.
clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 08:49 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr View Post
That switch is the battery disconnect switch and its function is just that to disconnect the battery. When you are plugged into shore power the converter will produce 12 vdc for the coach. So you are correct the ref will work just fine with the disconnect switch operated when plugged into shore power. Of course your batteries are not being charged by the converter as they should be. So nothing is different on you unit.
I was quoting Benagi in the comment above mine. They stated that while plugged in to shore power, with the disconnect off that their fridge did not work. I was just pointing out that mine appeared to work differently than theirs in that my fridge works with the disconnect off while plugged in.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:49 AM   #9

Here's an easy answer: when actively using / driving the MH, switch should be on. When MH is not in use, turn it off.
ActionJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:30 PM   #10

Depending on what brand converter you have the coaches are wired differently. Those with Power Dynamicsconverters are wired to the battery side of the switch so if the coach is plugged into shore power and the switch is off the refrigerator and most other 12v equipment will not function. Other converters were wired to the load side of the switch so when shore power is connected the converter will power the 12v equipment even if the switch is off. The change to a Power Dynamics converter occurred I believe within the 2015 model run.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVer View Post
Depending on what brand converter you have the coaches are wired differently. Those with Power Dynamicsconverters are wired to the battery side of the switch so if the coach is plugged into shore power and the switch is off the refrigerator and most other 12v equipment will not function. Other converters were wired to the load side of the switch so when shore power is connected the converter will power the 12v equipment even if the switch is off. The change to a Power Dynamics converter occurred I believe within the 2015 model run.
Interesting topic so far. Our old Minnie Winnie would run the fridg and lights in the coach on shore power with the battery switch in off or on position. Not so on our 2016 3171DS. With shore power on, and we turn the battery disconnect to off, all the 12v lights in the coach turn off along with the fridg. Can anyone else confirm this on the new coaches? Maybe mine is wired wrong.
Old 07-30-2015, 08:28 PM   #12

The switch needs to be off if you are storing without power even if it is a week or so the batteries will be drained or lowered by leaving on this battery switch is just to save your battery power from small drains on it

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-30-2015, 11:43 PM   #13

ATVer, rereading your post again, now it makes sense to me. We must have the Power Dynamics converter. That explains why all our 12v items power down when the switch is off and still on shore power.

And Boso, we always turn the battery disconnect off when we put our unit to sleep. If sitting for a long time, I put a battery tender on the coach batteries.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:04 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATVer View Post
That explains why mine is working with the switch off. Mine is a 2013 3170DS. Maybe certain models had the Power Dynamics prior to 2015.
Old 07-31-2015, 05:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by benagi View Post
Interesting topic so far. Our old Minnie Winnie would run the fridg and lights in the coach on shore power with the battery switch in off or on position. Not so on our 2016 3171DS. With shore power on, and we turn the battery disconnect to off, all the 12v lights in the coach turn off along with the fridg. Can anyone else confirm this on the new coaches? Maybe mine is wired wrong.

As I said being a 2016 you should have a power Dynamics converter so your coach is working as it should.
ATVer is offline   Reply With Quote