Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-20-2013, 02:07 PM   #21
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Gcampers View Post
Bigjohn, I would be interested to hear about experience with door. I really have no idea how to fix that one, so curious what the factory thinks.

@bclemens, looking for your opinion on this one. I think it's going to be determined that my cabinet holding the micro will need to replaced. Is this something that should be done at the factory or could a dealer handle?
Dealer should be able to take care of both items. cabinet & door. As for the door, they are pre-hung basically, we just put them in the hole. I know we've been refusing a few...that must be one that got missed.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:13 PM   #22
rip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike001 View Post
I took the plywood off one of the bench seats, tons of saw dust, scrap wires and debris...
My last trailer was a 2005 TrailCruiser. I cleaned construction debris in utility areas behind furnace, hot water heater, cabinets, sink, etc., and I was the second owner.

This year, when I got my new Windjammer and was doing the walk-through inspection, the dealer tech unscrewed the utility panels to show me what items were behind them. The areas had constuction clutter, similar to the back walls of a new house. As we looked through those hidden areas, he asked if I wanted them to vacuum there, and I declined.

When I got home, I opend those panels and picked up the various screws, extra hinges, unused 12v wire connectors, trim caps/covers, then vaucuumed up the saw dust and foam shavings, looking over the constuction and fit in areas we normally don't see. Liked what I saw.

While some may see the construction debris in remote areas as a problem, it may also be an opportunity. Put my spare parts in a baggie with my tools. No frown on my face.
+ 2002 Ford F-250 7.3L 4X4
rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:17 PM   #23
Commercial Member

Now that's a guy that's enjoying life. Don't sweat the small stuff.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #24
Plain Old Member

I'm with rip. I've got quite a collection from every RV. Here's what my door looks like. The thing is, if you were to move the frame in, you couldn't close the screen door. Very little clearance as it is. It doesn't leak, but it is a place for water to go somewhere. bclemens, any idea of what the "bad doors" looked like?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4225997282.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	25984  
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #25
Commercial Member

No I don't...but I have seen this before on a dealers lot. I used a flashlight to see if I could see daylight in or out and could not.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #26

BigJohn, thanks for the pic. That's EXACTLY what my issue is, minus the nice paint job! How does that not leak? Seems like water would just flow
right down into that jamb inside the sidewall and cause delam issues.
4Gcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #27
Plain Old Member

Well, I did the light test, and you can definitely see light through there. I guess what I meant by not leaking is I haven't seen water coming in. However, I am a little concerned with where it might be going in the wall. Not sure how this can be fixed. A new door can be aggravating. Then you end up with a bad paint line and touch up around the new one. We'll see what comes of it. Brian, I'm assuming mine is "not right" due to the gap and light?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2922100313.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	25985  
Old 03-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #28
Commercial Member

can't really go "into" the sidewall. It's aluminum framed, only Azdel composite under the fiberglass. The only wood is the interior wall board and that all has anti0wicking applied to it. You'll still want to have it checked out, but its not an emergency.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:45 PM   #29

I certainly dont mind cleaning up a little sawdust and wire connectors. Did plenty of that with my Travel trailer. This is quite a different situation. If the correct thing to do is replace the door and Jamb, that gets into a whole other game. If I was at a new car lot and the salesman told me they had to replace the door before I bought a new Cadillac, I would laugh.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:51 PM   #30
Commercial Member

But what if someone told you they had to replace the front door on your residence? No one would really mind. Motorhomes are somewhere in between cars & houses.

BigJohn, looks like that striker is cut back too much. I'll ask around, see what the fix is.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:58 PM   #31
Plain Old Member

Bclemens, that would be much appreciated. I already had to bend the striker plate towards the opening a little to get the door to shut tight. Either way, its on my list for next week at FR and I'm not losing sleep over it. Guess I got bad luck with doors. My tiffin was scheduled for a door replacement when I sold it. It was badly warped and was way worse than this issue.
Old 03-20-2013, 03:06 PM   #32

Please keep us posted! Sure would be nice if it was a quick, easy fix!
Old 03-20-2013, 07:16 PM   #33

Very much interested in this problem. Will be the first thing. I look for when I pick up my 3170DS. hope my door I'd correct.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:42 PM   #34

Definitely not correct, see my picture. No gap, and the door gasket is compressed and covers the latch strike plate.

Name:	door.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	26011
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 07:53 PM   #35

Thank you mwebber and bigjohn, I have captured the pics for comparison when we pick ours up.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #36

Being a little sarcastic, FR saves a ton of money by shipping their build trash all over this country instead of properly disposing it. Just say'in..
Old 03-20-2013, 08:01 PM   #37

I'll be honest, the dealer should have the coach cleaned and ready for you. I bought mine from a volume dealer (Terrytown in Michigan) and they must have cleaned the unit. The only debris I found was when I removed the plywood bed base to fix the fresh water tank fill tube which was burping air.... I found a few screws and some wire trimmings.

The rest of the coach was void of any debris. Even the light fixtures were clean (typically there is foam beads in them or sawdust).
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:04 PM   #38

Now that's what it should look like. Thanks for posting. It may seem silly but I think I'm avoiding this deal and breaking the news to the dealership in the am. Someone else can deal with this problem, I want to be out camping not parked in a service lot for a few weeks on a brand new camper.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:30 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
That was one of the first years we built that winter model. I just spent (3) nights in a 2012, skiing Lake Louise & Sunshine. It was 18 below (Celsius) and it was toasty warm. Been tons of improvements since 2007. Cab is still the hardest to keep warm because of where its located. Lots of exposed areas (walls, roof, floor) in a tiny little space. We use block foam in the bunk floor now and put fiberglass insulation in the nose.
Thank you for your response. I wish I knew that I would have bought a 2007! I see that you say you're a factory rep - what is your take on people posting about this poor workmanship and generally lack of care and tidyness on the production line / dust / debris etc being left in the campers? Is that something forest river cares about? Since I joined here I have read about this more than once.
Jim Scofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:40 PM   #40

I have no skin in this game, but to characterize a few people with problems, as a general lack of workmanship is wrong. The majority of owners never post when everything is fine, we only hear of a problem. B Clemmons stated he would look into it and has been very helpful in this forum.
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote