Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2013, 01:45 PM   #1

Not too impressed...

Well, our brand new Sunseeker just rolled off from the factory to our dealer and we got to do a walk through and sign off everything. Looks like it will be at the dealer for awhile before we agree to take it. Looks like a few obvious things got through quality control. The microwave trim panel is hanging, screws all pulled out, and extra holes were screws outside the lip too which damaged the cabinet frame. Not sure if they will order a new cabinet or just tape it and secure new screws somehow. The main coach door is about 1/2" too wide so the seal doesn't cover the lock mechanism. May have to tear that door out and install another. Lots of other missing screws around...Sure makes you wonder what else was missed that's hiding. Keep you posted on if we decide to take delivery..
4Gcampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:15 PM   #2

Quality is nowhere to be found, when we went to get ours it had a screw hole in the fiberglass at the rear up high, the dealer had a body shop fix . Needless to say we did not pickup for 2 weeks while they fixed other things

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #3

Sorry to hear, not typical of the Sunseekers and Foresters I've seen. On the microwave it sounds like a relatively easy fix. I'm not sure how the door can be that far off, they are pre-hung and framed. During my tour, the wall framing is "just" big enough to accept the pre-made door. Sounds like a possible door supplier issue.

As far as the other QC issues I'd send BC your VIN so they can have a "chat" with the assembly team that worked your unit. I work in a manufacturing facility as a manager and have done that with my production folks on gross error along with the customer feedback....
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:28 PM   #4

You mean holes in the fiberglass are bad? Ha. It does take the fun away from getting a brand new rig. It's hard to stomach repairs before you make your first payment.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:31 PM   #5

That's good info mwebber. I'm not sure either about that door. I figured it was prehung. I wonder if they get shimmed in the opening like a residential door. If that's the case they may be able to open it up and shim it to push the frame in some.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:34 PM   #6

My wife's more inclined to pull out on this one and find something on a lot that you can look over good before you buy.
Old 03-17-2013, 02:37 PM   #7

They don't shim the doors (at least when I was there). As stated, the door is all ready and dropped in the frame which is cut to fit the door without tinkering. The spacing has to be preset because even the bottom step panel of the door is already there.
mwebber78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:47 PM   #8

Hmmm. That's really strange then. I have no idea.
Old 03-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #9

I took the plywood off one of the bench seats, tons of saw dust, scrap wires and debris. Also crap under the stove and sink. I mentioned this to a rep at an RV show, they said they were surprised to hear it. He told me to report it to the company, and they would look into it. I didn't bother, but when I go to pick up my new one, I will be checking EVERYTHING before I accept delivery. I think it is a quality control issue at their factory.
Mike001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:28 PM   #10

Yep Mike, if we end up taking delivery of this one they can clean it out. It's ironic that will be easy since they didn't attach any of the dinette panels under the seat or bed either.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:24 PM   #11

Crap guys, taking delivery in 2 weeks. I sure hope my unit is ready to go. Now I am nervous. My TT was trashy. I was amazed. You would think it would be easy to install a vacuum system on the line.
As far as the other problems, I hope the dealer does not call until the unit is right. Think I will email my salesman.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:33 PM   #12

Hey Garette, I did the same. Salesman said it looked great! Differing opinions I guess! FYI- ours ended up being a 2014 on paperwork so yours should be as well. Just be careful...check things over. I immediately noticed our microwave issue when I opened the door. I think the factory must just do spot checks for QC and mine went unchecked. There are three holes in the front of the cabinet that had to be drilled before the final screws went in. Installer must have said " can't see it from my house". Our dealer doesn't seem to be concerned, they just want to demo it and get it off the lot since the financing is done. Other areas of the coach seem to be sub par compared to units on the showroom. Good luck..be cautious
Old 03-17-2013, 07:02 PM   #13

I am good at looking at details. Thanks for the warning and advice. I will be careful and post what I find.
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:03 PM   #14
Plain Old Member

Interesting you mention the door not covering the lock mechanism. Mine doesn't cover all of it either, but it doesn't leak. I've seen several on the lots like this. Heck, my keys don't even work on my door latch / lock. The door is on my list for when we get to Indiana next week. As for the saw dust and trash, mine was the same. Nothing out of the ordinary for any RV. I just clean and vacuum real good when I get them home. The saying "that's the first we've heard of it" is all too common with any manf. I even found roof cut outs under the slide. I usually just make a list and fix most things myself. It took me 2 weeks after getting it home to get it in my opinion "ready to camp". One thing that i have noticed about a lot of dealers, and this urps me, but they won't fix much of anything until the unit is committed to a sale. Just for the heck of it, i went through about a dozen new units on a lot one day, made a list of problems i found on them and presented it to their sales. As expected, their response was "thats the first we've heard of it". 2 of them even had leaks and water damage. I'll try to remember to post what I find out on the door in Indiana.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:22 PM   #15

I must been one of the lucking ones for the first year We used it 5 times and didn't have any problems with it. I hope I can get thru another yr to
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike001 View Post
I took the plywood off one of the bench seats, tons of saw dust, scrap wires and debris. Also crap under the stove and sink. I mentioned this to a rep at an RV show, they said they were surprised to hear it. He told me to report it to the company, and they would look into it. I didn't bother, but when I go to pick up my new one, I will be checking EVERYTHING before I accept delivery. I think it is a quality control issue at their factory.
I have been told by many people that this is part of the dealer prep package most get charged for. They are supposed to clean up and fix minor issues
mshell56118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:11 PM   #17

I am glad I bought mine used so someone else had to clean up all that mess! Mine is a winter model, but I noticed that there is no insulation at all in the bunk over the cab at all.
Jim Scofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:02 AM   #18
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Scofield View Post
I am glad I bought mine used so someone else had to clean up all that mess! Mine is a winter model, but I noticed that there is no insulation at all in the bunk over the cab at all.
That was one of the first years we built that winter model. I just spent (3) nights in a 2012, skiing Lake Louise & Sunshine. It was 18 below (Celsius) and it was toasty warm. Been tons of improvements since 2007. Cab is still the hardest to keep warm because of where its located. Lots of exposed areas (walls, roof, floor) in a tiny little space. We use block foam in the bunk floor now and put fiberglass insulation in the nose.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #19

Bigjohn, I would be interested to hear about experience with door. I really have no idea how to fix that one, so curious what the factory thinks.

@bclemens, looking for your opinion on this one. I think it's going to be determined that my cabinet holding the micro will need to replaced. Is this something that should be done at the factory or could a dealer handle?
Old 03-20-2013, 01:19 PM   #20

I'd make 'em eat it and go for another unit. Or make it worthwhile, like a lifetime warranty. Don't tell me it can't be done because I know it can, I've seen it happen to save a sale. Trust is hard to earn back once it's lost.
clancythecamper is offline   Reply With Quote