Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2014, 08:10 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by jst3 View Post
I need to look for an inside cover for the windshield. That curtain is a pain when you want to change something on the stereo.

My wife made night window covers for the bedroom windows in thick cloth that matches the walls. Those blinds don't do anything to keep light out in the morning. The covers attach to velcro stapled up inside the top cover for the blind. Couldn't camp without them.

My wife wants the privacy so I will also go with the dark windshield panel
However my unit has the remote for stereo when the curtain is up
'93 Coleman pop ups (I'm Dad)
'04 Fleetwood Jamboree 26q
'14 Sunseeker 2860DS
trdutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 02:07 AM   #62

I really like the dark window cover idea, I'll see if DW wants to do that, she's the boss of the sewing machine.

We have a 2012 2900, A couple of mods we've done; I replaced the screen latch with rare earth magnets. Little ones for just the screen and a larger one on the door side so it grabs the screen when you open the door. I saw it on YouTube.

DW sewed shoe holders around the perimeter of the bed, they hook over the cabinetry edge with felt covered shower hooks then the wood and mattress holds them in place.

We also bought some plastic shelving from HD for the aft cabinets, not sure if that counts as a mod...I had to break out the chop saw to get the height just right. 😂
Mike968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 09:27 AM   #63

Solar.
A small hardwired inverter to run satellite, charge laptops, etc.
A simple cheap ebay Amp-hour meter, like a real gas gauge for your batteries.
A folding tilting or rocking chair to sit up by the bed and watch TV.

Those are my projects at the moment. We do camp off-grid quite a bit, so the first three are very worthwhile. I found the romex wire that feeds the outlets by the TV and bunk bed, so I'm separating it from the 120v circuit, and will run it off the inverter at all times. Well, whenever the battery switch is on. I'll do write ups here for all of the mods.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:31 AM   #64
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
HAH! I saw the title of this thread over in the list to the right and immediately thought:

I KNOW this is not a thread created by OC!
But you would be in error Weezer, I am in the same boat. Nothing to do on my "Strictly Stock" 5er.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:09 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglou View Post
Bobby,

Get going on that front hitch, I want to be second in line....
Hoglou - done!
Not a bad project. The front hitch receiver can double as a place for a hitch step to help clean the front over-cab.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140930_170936.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	394.8 KB
ID:	66427   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141109_144752.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	388.0 KB
ID:	66428   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141109_155205.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	375.3 KB
ID:	66429   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141109_160608.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	398.3 KB
ID:	66430  
bgilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:16 PM   #66

I also upgraded the over-cab clearance lights to LED. I had problems with a couple bulbs staying lit. It also allowed me to improve the sealant around the fixture to the cab. I found the exact replacement light so I have extra lens covers now - but the LED lens covers were difficult to remove so I don't believe any of those will come lose.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20141024_162303.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	622.4 KB
ID:	66431   Click image for larger version

Name:	20141024_181409.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	191.6 KB
ID:	66432  
Old 11-15-2014, 11:44 PM   #67

Oh no.... I have no next mod to do

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
But you would be in error Weezer, I am in the same boat. Nothing to do on my "Strictly Stock" 5er.

I'm about to that point as well on my *cough* stock 5er

Hmmm oh, wait, a "camp" button auto-leveler might be nice :roflback:

Sent from my iPad Air using FRF App for iOS
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:20 AM   #68

Where did you find the new LED lights at??
I would like to replace mine with LED.
Kevin & Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:50 AM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgilly View Post
Hoglou - done!
Not a bad project. The front hitch receiver can double as a place for a hitch step to help clean the front over-cab.

I love this!! I wish this is something I could do, but I don't have the knowledge or supplies! Want to come visit Michigan?
Previously:
2005 Fleetwood Seapine, 2012 Rockwood Roo
2015 Sunseeker, 2017 Fleetwood Pace Arrow
hockeytownmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 02:30 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin & Judy View Post
Where did you find the new LED lights at??
I would like to replace mine with LED.
I found them at Benlo RV Shop. The brand used is Glo-Brite (what Forest River used) so these would be a direct replacement.
Benlo RV - Online Store

The photo shows red but the description states amber.

Bobby
Old 11-16-2014, 02:38 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeytownmom View Post
I love this!! I wish this is something I could do, but I don't have the knowledge or supplies! Want to come visit Michigan?
It was not hard. The instructions that came with it stated using the included fishing wire to get the securing bolts installed but I read some others found it easier to just remove the bumper and I agree 100%. It might seem a huge project to remove the bumper but it's not bad at all. In fact it gave me a chance to scour the rust that was starting to form on spots on the bumper. I treated those areas with rust proofing.

You only need a 1/2" drill bit to cut a new forward mounting hole. It takes maybe 1-1/2 hour without help to do this mod.

Bobby
Old 09-02-2015, 09:28 PM   #72

Another sink mod. Replaced a Price Fister kitchen sink faucet in the house when could not find a proper O ring to stop the sprayer from leaking.
DW purchased a faucet filter from Pur. Well guess what, would not fit the plastic kitchen faucet. Remembered the Price Fister. Capped the sprayer connection, drilled a center hole in the counter for the capped sprayer connection, installed the Price Fister and installed the filter.
The water pump will just barley pump thru the second filter. Hoping to filter campground water to reduce the amount of water carried.
When all said and done, I think it turned out well.

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1441247221.224647.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	87654

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Garrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:17 AM   #73

Bgilly,

Sweet install.......
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:37 AM   #74

Quote:
Bgilly,

Sweet install.......
Gosh, that seems so long ago but it hasn't even been a year yet. I have used it plenty and love it.
No issues with bikes up front and I really like putting a hitch step to wash/wax the front of the coach.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:36 PM   #75

Reinforced the drawer bottoms and built a header brace to support the cabinet below the sink, it was sagging a bit (lots a room to work there, may do the volt meter mod), added a led light in the cab area..... built a little console between the seats to have a samwich and a pop on the road... ordered a cooktop cover for the dometic three burner... I will let ya know..
Old 09-24-2015, 06:11 AM   #76

Quote:
Reinforced the drawer bottoms and built a header brace to support the cabinet below the sink, it was sagging a bit (lots a room to work there, may do the volt meter mod), added a led light in the cab area..... built a little console between the seats to have a samwich and a pop on the road... ordered a cooktop cover for the dometic three burner... I will let ya know..

What did you do to reinforce the drawer bottoms? I have a couple that are sagging and need reinforcement.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 09-24-2015, 12:26 PM   #77
geezer with gadgets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvBill3 View Post
What did you do to reinforce the drawer bottoms? I have a couple that are sagging and need reinforcement.

I'd like to know this, too!

Sent from my Atari 2600
2011 Sunseeker 3170ds "Ladybug"
2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee TOAD
Days camped 2015: 37; 2016: 66; 2017: 86 2018: 57 2019: 30
757Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 01:56 PM   #78

So ya wanta to see ma drawars huh?

Look under my album labeled drawers. The popular wood sticks are from Hom Dep at a cost of about 2 bucks each. Cut a bunch at 45 on each end and wood glue them. You could just cut rectangle pucks for each corner, but hey that's the easy way....The intent is to increase the capacity and stabilize the drawer bottom. In reality you are only increasing the thrust (weight in drawer) load capacity by the cumulative contact length of the two 45 sides (no I don't want to do the math right now). This mod began as I had the bottom plate of the drawer under the frig had wiggled out of the (routed) channel (prob due to weight) across the back. The mod keeps the drawer bottom plate from moving at all. I considered running a stick down each side to create a picture frame, but if I ever needed to service it the glue could leave me a mess on the drawer sides. I did not glue the drawer bottm in the channel for the same servicing reasons. And use the good stuff, I like Titebond II premium wood glue.

I did get the pin nailer out but all of the nails I had were too long, could not see a HD run that afternoon. The pin nailer would really make the math hard, can someone run a CAD calc for us?

The thickness of the wood will not exceed the lip thus no hang up problems.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:45 PM   #79

Forgot to tell you that the drawer pics are in my albums. Also there are pics for the mini header to support the bottom plate under the kitchen cabinet. There are four pieces to this mod; the bottom plate, two up rights (one of the four pics needs to be rotated to see correctly), and a cross bar across the top of the brace. For this mod I used some left over hickory from a cabinet build, so no it will not buckle. This was a most needed mod for us as it felt spongy to me when I went for the frothy drink apparatus. I think I could load the cabinet with 100 lbs of concrete now. If I had not gotten tired of standing on my head I would have had built a twin header... Yea, over kill, but hey "itshowiam".

Last, there is a console step made from left over decking that I got a cloth box with a lid from Hobby Lobby to keep our electrical gear in that slides under the step, and made a serving tray for the top of the step (for my samwich & pop). The front and rear perimeter (lips) of the tray are dropped about 1/8 to prevent for and aft movement, and now back to our originals tory....the scrap perimeter from the tray started the drawer mod (same wood)....

So I went Hom Dep to get some more popular sticks, but did not think of the pin nailer till I got home. Hence nail free..... I wasn't going for another jeep ride that day.....

(side note: this probably violates the header "quick reply")
Old 09-24-2015, 09:53 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by RvBill3 View Post

I have found the free five gallon paint stir sticks you can get for free from Homedepot or Lowes work great. I attach them with number 6 flat head screws.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
modifications