Old 06-21-2015, 08:40 PM   #1

Oil Change Question

Hey Guys.. We have a 2014 Sunseeker 3050S with the Ford V10. I'm incredibly anal about maintenance. Last October I change the oil myself before I put her into indoor storage at about 2600 miles. I used Motorcraft 5w-20 Synthetic Blend and a motorcraft filter.

I now have about 400 miles and on the coach since I change the oil last fall (9 months ago). I know oil can break down (moisture from condensation). Because of the time should I change the oil before we start taking our trips. Our next trip will be about 500 mile round trip and the one after that will be about 2000. I was thinking about changing it after this short trip will be taking.

What's your thoughts? Run it or change the oil and filter because of time.

Thanks everyone...

2014 Georgetown 328 TSF
2012 Jayco Eagle Supe Lite 308 RETS (Seasonal Site)
2013 Jeep Rubicon with Mods..
Jmsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:51 PM   #2

You didn't say if the indoor storage was heated or not. Still, I wouldn't change the oil. If I was going to change the oil as often as you probably will I certainly wouldn't waste money on synthetic, with all due respect.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:05 PM   #3
Georgia Frog Rally 2018

I would run it then think about changing. I think I would re think about using synthetic, unless you decide to start driving more miles during the year. Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2016 58
Days camped so far 2017 62
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:41 PM   #4

Synthetic blend that you used is correct and recommended for the V10 engine and I would use nothing less. You can often get Motorcraft synthetic blend at places like Walmart for less than "Dino" oil. You could step up to full synthetic which wouldn't hurt anything but is not needed IMO. I wouldn't worry about changing the oil until the end of the season if you only will have about 3000 miles on it. As for condensation forming over the year I wouldn't be concerned since engine crankcases today are sealed up good to minimize emissions. The engine temps today are also high enough to boil out any moisture that might form as long as you aren't doing a lot of trips a couple miles long where the engine oil does not reach operating temps.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:50 PM   #5

I agree with ATVer. Change once a year or every 5,000 miles. I'd change after all your trips this summer.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:13 PM   #6

once a year or every 5k.... I use 5w 20 weight as recommended... The only time I start using synthetic is once the engine is over 50k
Old 06-22-2015, 11:07 AM   #7

Your engine is a great refining/distillation unit. Condensation won't hurt the oil a bit and it will distill off as soon as you reach operating temps. On new (last 15+ years) the manufacturing processes and most of all, Fuel injection and ECU's keep your oil MUCH cleaner than years ago when 2000 miles changes were often recommended. I assume like most RV's your trips are typically not short in town ones. Those are by far the worst on oil and even those aren't nearly as bad as the old carb'ed days. If you want to feel better, after your next oil change send a "sample kit" in and have in analyzed. You will find that after even 6,000+ miles of highway use it will test close to new. (The suggestion above of 5000+ miles or once per year is a good rule of thumb.)

Unless you are doing a lot of VERY cold winter driving, or VERY hot summer driving (while towing) a synthetic is not usually worth the investment. (Clearly synthetics are better than stock dino oils, but overkill for the price with your change frequency and application.) Contrary to popular opinion and Madison ave, it will not give you any additional HP or MPG. (except in the cold extremes with short trips)

I have dynamometer tested probably 30 brands of synthetic and dino oil on dozens of engines for several companies and race teams. With measuring resolution of fuel use per seconds and HP in the 1-2 area, I have NEVER SEEN any advantage with synthetic at normal operating temps and application. There are some "semi-synths" that give you a slightly better oil for a much lower price if you want.

BTW, In all our tests performed for a large chemical company (tested about 20 brands of off the shelf brand name oils in misc weights, concoctions etc.) we only found 1 brand that concerned us in quality control (varying mixes from batch to batch) and even it performed flawlessly, meeting all expectations. (BTW, obviously a good brand name filter should be used at every change.)

To be fair, I use synthetic, but I get it much cheaper than retail

Jim
Old 06-22-2015, 12:22 PM   #8

Just did my first uneventful, no problems ( knock wood ] 3000 mile oil change on my Chevy and had Mobile one added. Chevy computor monitors percentage of usefull life of the oil, but I will do mine every 5000 miles. Mobile one is supposed to be good for 20,000 miles just change the filter like every 5000 miles, but I'll stick with full oil and filter change.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppytoymaker View Post
Mobile one is supposed to be good for 20,000 miles just change the filter like every 5000 miles, but I'll stick with full oil and filter change.
Same here. It's probably not a problem, but it feels like taking a shower and putting on the same underwear.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:31 PM   #10

In theory synthetic is good for 20K, 25K or more and oil can be recycled since it doesn't actually wear out. Its the fuel, carbon and who knows what that requires us to change it. Furthermore, I don't know of a filter out there than can do 20K. My manual says 7500 miles on any rated oil, so I am very sure 7500 on better oil is okay. I run full synthetic and a good filter (read: not a fram); she holds 12 quarts at $8 each and a $15 filter. Every lubrication expert I've talked to, says modern oil is designed to go the distance the manufacturer claims and that changing at 3000 or 5000 is wasting your money. But, its your money. Just because some bozo puts a sticker on the windshield that says to do it again at 3000 miles or 6 months doesn't make it so.