Old 10-17-2014, 08:22 AM   #1

onan 4000 generator

Have a 2013 3050s with a onan 4000 generator in it. took it to repair shop because gen would not start, told a new control board was needed as the one in there now shorts out the fuel pump. i have 10 hours on the gen, was told by repair shop not enough hours for item to be covered. manual says to run it 2 hours a month to keep it under warranty just a heads up for everyone to follow the manual and avoid this costly mistake keep on camping oldnewguy

Old 10-17-2014, 08:30 AM   #2

Did the repair shop or manufacturer tell you this. Something is fishy here. How can you run it for 2 hours a month if you can't start it?

Old 10-17-2014, 08:41 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I call bs!
You cannot "NOT" warranty something because it hasn't "ran" enough!
I'd be shoving that generator down someone's throat if they told me I didn't run it enough so it isn't covered under warranty!
And if by some means that's truly the case I'd love to see such documentation!
You need to possibly find another shop IMO.

Turbs
Old 10-17-2014, 08:48 AM   #4

Not agreeing with the shop but I am a firm believer in the more you run a gen set the better.. setting unused is a death wish on these units... so wish they had them with Fuel injection... that would be a different deal all together...
Old 10-17-2014, 09:03 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by zook View Post
Not agreeing with the shop but I am a firm believer in the more you run a gen set the better.. setting unused is a death wish on these units... so wish they had them with Fuel injection... that would be a different deal all together...
I agree!
but just because the op uses it very little had NOTHING to do with a bad circuit board.
Now if the carb was all gummed up with varnish then the shop could say otherwise.

Turbs
Old 10-17-2014, 10:40 AM   #6

4000 gen

It has been running before this. I go out once a month and run it for half hour under a load but never read the manual on what the company said to do. the carb is fine, the main board it not sending a current to the fuel pump to keep it running.Majors Rv is an authorized dealer for and checked for any recalls authorized for the part. said moisture on the board and not running it long to remove moisture from the board was the problem. i had a onan 6500 on my last motor home and never had a problem. have taken better care of this gen than the last one. just giving everyone a heads up this is costing me 950.00 you know i will run that sucker now keep on camping oldnewguy
Old 10-17-2014, 10:42 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnewguy View Post
It has been running before this. I go out once a month and run it for half hour under a load but never read the manual on what the company said to do. the carb is fine, the main board it not sending a current to the fuel pump to keep it running.Majors Rv is an authorized dealer for and checked for any recalls authorized for the part. said moisture on the board and not running it long to remove moisture from the board was the problem. i had a onan 6500 on my last motor home and never had a problem. have taken better care of this gen than the last one. just giving everyone a heads up this is costing me 950.00 you know i will run that sucker now keep on camping oldnewguy
I wouldn't have paid it sorry.
You got took.....

Turbs
Old 10-17-2014, 11:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I wouldn't have paid it sorry.
You got took.....

Turbs
X2........no way I would have paid that!
gmcnitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 11:56 AM   #9

My dealer told me to run it at least 2 hours a month or they would not honor the three year warranty. If you look in the warranty it says you have to use it according to acceptable policies and use. If you look in the manual it tells you to run it at least 2 hours with load every four weeks.

I would take oldnewguys warning and calculate the number of months you have owned your generator and make sure you have twice that many hours on it. Cheap insurance and as others have said running it every so often probably helps.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:07 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeItEasy View Post
My dealer told me to run it at least 2 hours a month or they would not honor the three year warranty. If you look in the warranty it says you have to use it according to acceptable policies and use. If you look in the manual it tells you to run it at least 2 hours with load every four weeks.

I would take oldnewguys warning and calculate the number of months you have owned your generator and make sure you have twice that many hours on it. Cheap insurance and as others have said running it every so often probably helps.
Should have absolutely nothing to do with a printed circuit board!
If there's "moisture" on the circuit board there's an issue within how it's sealed from moisture which has no effect on how many hours it runs.

Turbs

Tags
generator