Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2016, 10:56 PM   #1

Onan 4000 in 2015 Sunseeker 3170

I posted something similar in the technical thread as well. Last year I only used the generator when stationary. It worked very well. This year the generator was stalling out after about 10 to 20 minutes. I replaced oil, spark plug, air filter, fuel pump and filter. The generator sounds good and now runs for hours when not moving. After about 15 mins of driving the generator stalls. Oil level looks ok and had a full tank of gas.

Any thoughts?
bdifonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 07:36 AM   #2

Have you checked the carburetor? A lot of times these days they can get gummed up from ethanol in the fuel.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:54 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to jk31668
do you run the genny for an hour under a load every month year round? if not, you have a good chance of a gummed up carb.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:09 AM   #4

Fuel Pump
Had the same problems and they had to replace the fuel pumps both times. After the last one it has been 8 months and no problems.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:20 AM   #5

Here is what might help since you seem to be a doit yourselfer.

Look underneath the generator on the left side and see where the gasoline hose is connected to the fuel filter. Remove and block that hose. Then have a short length of fuel line that will fit on the fuel filter inlet and run it to a gallon gas can with the line going to the bottom of the container. Do not just use an open container. And run a mixture of injector cleaner (can get at any auto store) and gas for ½ hour. Let it set for 1 day and repeat the same ½ hour run. Should make a big difference and get rid of the gummed up fuel coating in the carburetor. Well I know it works as I did it myself. Hook everything back up as normal.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdifonzo View Post
I posted something similar in the technical thread as well. Last year I only used the generator when stationary. It worked very well. This year the generator was stalling out after about 10 to 20 minutes. I replaced oil, spark plug, air filter, fuel pump and filter. The generator sounds good and now runs for hours when not moving. After about 15 mins of driving the generator stalls. Oil level looks ok and had a full tank of gas.

Any thoughts?
If it only stalls when moving (why run it when moving?) then that sounds to me like, for some reason, the fuel pickup in your chassis tank gets starved for fuel when the fuel moves in the tank. Get your chassis tank down to half a tank then see if the generator runs ok when not moving.

ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 02:20 PM   #7

My guess is your gennie fuel line runs over the trannie and right behind the engine. While driving things get hot and the gas effectively boils and the gennie feels fuel starved and dies.

The only answer is it reroute the fuel line to a cooler path.
SweetOleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:48 PM   #8

Thanks all. I will give the suggestions a try.
bdifonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:56 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetOleBill View Post
My guess is your gennie fuel line runs over the trannie and right behind the engine. While driving things get hot and the gas effectively boils and the gennie feels fuel starved and dies.

The only answer is it reroute the fuel line to a cooler path.
Give the man a cigar!
I would look at that first.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdifonzo View Post

Any thoughts?
Always without fail run generator for an hour non stop under load. Keeps clean gas in fuel line and carborator. Onan says do this monthly. 2 years never had any problems.
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 11:39 AM   #11

Generator issues

bdifonzo, I'm a little late posting to this thread and certainly not mechanically inclined, BUT, what was the ambient temperature when you were experiencing generator issues. I've found that mine will throw a code "36" meaning lack of fuel, but it is actually overheating. When boondocking, I simply prop open the storage door to the generator compartment. It still won't run for long on the highway in summer heat. I'm looking into better ventilation to hopefully solve that issue.
lshields01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 12:00 PM   #12

Go to this thread it will help and maybe answer your questions.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ds-114044.html

DavidMPDK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 02:22 PM   #13

Go to the above thread David listed. Ventilation to keep cool may be the issue as others have experienced this exacact problem.
sgtlm17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 04:42 PM   #14

Onan generator overheating

DavidMPDK and sgtlm17, thank you very much for the link. That is EXACTLY what I am looking for.
lshields01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
3170, sunseeker