Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2016, 04:26 PM   #1

Onan Generator

I have a 2016 Sunseeker and just fired up the generator after having it winterized for 4 months. I bought it in December but did not start using it until last month. The generator starts, pulses then cuts off. I waited and tried again. I have pulled the little port screw with a spring to see if it was clogged. Every time I take it off, I prime it and it starts right up. for 3 minutes. Does anyone have a suggestion? Its just a long ways to go take care of it under the warranty.
Old 04-26-2016, 05:17 PM   #2

Onan Generator

Are you getting any codes?

-R.Jones
Nitro 31FQSL
R3Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:21 PM   #3

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1461709304.485059.jpg
Views:	1574
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	106201

-R.Jones
Nitro 31FQSL
R3Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:44 PM   #4

You mention that you fired up the generator after 4 months. I hope you were running it between that time. I usually start mine at least once a month and run under load for about 1/2 hour. I also add fuel stabilizer before putting it up for the winter. Ethanol is kind of hard on carbs, fuel pumps, and other thing it touches. Fuel stabilizer is good for the truck engine too. I run the truck and generator about 15 minutes after adding that to make sure it gets through the lines to the engines.
kins83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:04 PM   #5

I assume you have more than a quarter tank of gas in the MH. It will not run under that. It will start but then shut down if under a quarter tank.
osgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 09:41 PM   #6

Need the model number of generator. Photo of the manufacturer plate.
Fault codes?
Generators should be excerized once a month.
Advice on adding fuel stabilizer is on the mark. Less than 1/4 tank it will not run.
Has it been serviced? Fuel filter changed, new plugs, oil filter, oil, air filter.
If the generator was new with the MH then it is under warranty, take it to your local onan dealer.
BBQGUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2016, 09:22 AM   #7

Anything with a carb today requires stabilizer and a startup every couple of weeks.
Ethenol leaves tiny deposits on the jets when the fuel evaporates in the carb and lines over time- usually the small pilot jet (idle) that wreaks havoc on their idleing.
Fuel injection usually does not suffer from this- the fuel is under pressure.

When I leave a motorcycle for some time not running, I drain the float bowl, pull the fuel line and spray some seafoam in there. (or wd40 in a pinch).
Old 05-01-2016, 04:02 PM   #8

Just picked up our Sunseeker MBS last week. Have been testing everything I can in the driveway. Have an Onan genset 3.6 kw propane system. Same thing is happening to me ...... it starts fine and runs for approx 3 minutes, then shuts down (runs really rough the last few seconds and shakes the whole rv). I'm getting 3 red flashes on the led and it shows all 8's on the hours display. Haven't run through the code check yet ..... just found this post.

BTW .... temp here today is approx 50 degrees .... so I don't think it's a cold weather issue.
rkreusel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:53 AM   #9

With the gas powered gen set consider starting the vehicle engine first to create fuel flow, seems to resolve issues on the chevy.
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:53 PM   #10

Well if the carburetor has gum deposits from setting the 4 months then try this. Underneath on the left side you will see the gas line from the main tank and going into the gas filter on the generator. Loosen the clamp and pull hose off. Have a plug that you can seal the hose in advance

Have another piece of fuel line that is long enough to go from that filter and into a gallon gas can. Put the correct mixture of injector cleaner with the gas and run the generator on that mixture. Run it for about 20 min. and then the next day run it for another 20 min.

Should make a big difference if it was old gummed up gas. Put it all back the way it was and tighten clamps like they were.
Old 05-12-2016, 10:59 AM   #11
Chief tinkerer

Thx 17Racer! I will file this under "dewinterizing". I had wondered if putting a manual valve on this line and closing it, running it until it shuts down, would be good preventative measure if going into storage for the winter. Thoughts?

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:01 AM   #12
Chief tinkerer

..... or using your suggested set-up with stabilz and shutting it down with this mixbin it.

2017 SunSeeker 3010DS
Gidyupgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidyupgo View Post
Thx 17Racer! I will file this under "dewinterizing". I had wondered if putting a manual valve on this line and closing it, running it until it shuts down, would be good preventative measure if going into storage for the winter. Thoughts?
Definitely use Stabil.
I also used to take off the fuel line to the carb on my motorcycles that sat for some time and spray generously either WD 40 or Sea Foam Deep Creep directly into the fuel line inlet - close it up with no fuel flow.
This will coat the internals.

This ethenol stuff will leave deposits on the jets that is nearly impossible to get off.
Been there...changed a few pilot jets before I caught on.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:56 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidyupgo View Post
Well I know the trick of running a temporary gas tank with injector cleaner works. I did it with mine, and yes at the same time I put a little shut of valve on the line knowing we are not going to let this condition happen again. So yes the answer is for a shut off valve.

Tags
generator