Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2015, 08:35 PM   #21

We've had a 2300 Chevy for three years and love it. We have the U shaped dinette and have added a swivel base to the passenger seat. For the two of us, it is just fine. I like that everything is accessible while traveling. Sometimes we stop for a few hours of sleep at a rest area or Walmart and no fuss, no problem. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with a slide--just saying we are very happy with the 2300.

2012 Forest River Sunseeker 2300 Chevy
Old 03-16-2015, 10:06 PM   #22

We are also considering the 2300 for downsizing from a 30' class C. If you look at the cabinets over dinette in a 2290S vs 2300 you will see the 2290 cabinets are much shorter because of the slide. One of my thoughts is that with storage already limited in a short MH, that is a lot of storage lost in trade off for the floor space gained.
hotbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:59 AM   #23

I have the Forester 2251sle which is similar. Three cabenets over the bed in the slideout prlus nice reading lights and a window, and one narrow night table with a drawer on the right side plus a drawer under the foot of the bed.
poppytoymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:16 PM   #24

I am considering the 2290S also, and have a few questions about it. Hopefully Brian can weigh in on these:
  1. I see from the Sunseeker brochure that the 2290S has the exact same weight and dimensions as the 2300. Is that really true that adding the slideout doesn't add any weight?
  2. Does the slideout on the 2290S allow enough room for a swivel seat on the driver's side?
  3. I found pictures of a couple of 2290S units on rvt, and noticed that the dinette cushions are split differently than I've seen before (a split on each side and one in the back, making four cushions, versus the way I've seen before of two splits in the back making three cushions). I'd prefer to get the three cushion version if I can. Is that possible?
konrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:25 PM   #25
Commercial Member

1. they probably copied and pasted...but it only adds maybe 200lbs
2. Yes.
3. No. The 3 cushion meant there was a small bolster cushion that needed to be added to fill in when it made a bed. We changed to this new design so the existing cushions would fit in without an extra cushion. The old bolster cushion would fall off and took up storage needlessly.

Subscribe for "How To" videos and updates https://www.youtube.com/c/DynamaxRVs/

Sales-Service-Parts https://dynamaxcorp.com/contact-us
bclemens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:33 PM   #26

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Not a Motorhome owner but noticed Europe Tour. Best getting a step down transfer 220 to 110 before you leave., depending on 50 amp or 30 amp this will be big and heavy. You will need varying types of Caravan power adapters based upon where you end up, mainly the bipin and UK tripin. I would additional bullseye (convex) mirrors ready to install. If you are driving on the left you will need the extra visibility on the right side when maneuvering.

For the Chev engine I would invest in spare fuel filter (if on the engine and not in the tank like a lot are), oil filter, air filter for service.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:12 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclemens View Post
1. they probably copied and pasted...but it only adds maybe 200lbs
2. Yes.
3. No. The 3 cushion meant there was a small bolster cushion that needed to be added to fill in when it made a bed. We changed to this new design so the existing cushions would fit in without an extra cushion. The old bolster cushion would fall off and took up storage needlessly.
1. Is the length of the 2290S the same as the 2300 (24'6" Ford and 25' Chevy)?

3. I see why you changed the cushion design now. Unfortunately, we use the dinette cushions in a different way and this new design won't work for that. We like to make a big lounge chair for watching movies at night by dropping the table and putting the back cushion down, but keeping the side cushions up to lean on. We lean back on the aft side cushion and face the TV up front. It's very comfy, especially when we add a couple of pillows and a blanket! We don't have a need to make a bed out of the dinette, so we wouldn't carry around that extra skinny cushion anyway. That's why I was wondering if it was possible to order the 3 cushion design.
konrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 01:23 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Don't worry about not being able to find mechanics who can work on American things. Wherever there is a US Military post/base, you'll find many because we love our American cars and bring then with us overseas (as long as they let us...we can't bring cars to Japan).

You'll find many US Military bases in the U.K., Germany, Spain, Italy, and even Greece and Turkey.

I know shipping a car to Europe is expensive (a few thousand but the DoD ships for service folks)....how much is it to ship an RV?
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 02:42 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauman View Post
Hi Markangie24,

The new version of the Chevy 2300 with a slide is the 2290S - you can see it on the Sunseeker floor plan page on the FR web site. Also, as I mentioned in my original post, I'm thinking of replacing the dinette with a couple of recliners - where do you guys sit in the evening? Is the dinette comfortable enough to read or watch TV? Thanks.

Regards, Mark...
We love the 2450S. The dinette is not comfortable enough to sit in and watch TV. We do have the entertainment center and you can see it great. I ruptured my Achilles in Dec while we are playing the snowbird thing in Florida and I have sat at the dinette every single day for 3 months. Definite sore butt. Replaced the crappy barrel chair with a euro recliner and have considered when we get home trashing the dinette in favor if dual recliners. I do not care about seat belts as it is the wife and I only. Let me know what you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
markangie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:23 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Not a Motorhome owner but noticed Europe Tour. Best getting a step down transfer 220 to 110 before you leave., depending on 50 amp or 30 amp this will be big and heavy. You will need varying types of Caravan power adapters based upon where you end up, mainly the bipin and UK tripin. I would additional bullseye (convex) mirrors ready to install. If you are driving on the left you will need the extra visibility on the right side when maneuvering.

For the Chev engine I would invest in spare fuel filter (if on the engine and not in the tank like a lot are), oil filter, air filter for service.
B&B, Thanks for the tip on the filters and convex mirrors, will do. Also, wouldn't a 220 volt converter eliminate the need for a step down transformer? Perhaps Bclemens could chime in about what FR ships with their European models (at least *I think* they sell in Europe).

Regards, Mark...
mbauman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
Don't worry about not being able to find mechanics who can work on American things. Wherever there is a US Military post/base, you'll find many because we love our American cars and bring then with us overseas (as long as they let us...we can't bring cars to Japan).

You'll find many US Military bases in the U.K., Germany, Spain, Italy, and even Greece and Turkey.

I know shipping a car to Europe is expensive (a few thousand but the DoD ships for service folks)....how much is it to ship an RV?
Hi ColoradoRick, thanks for the tip regarding repairs in Europe. BTW, shipping a smaller RV on a Roll On Roll Off ship is not a lot more than shipping a car. One couple I know stored their rig every year near Amsterdam and then returned the following year for another trip. They did this over an 8 year period and finally sold the rig in Europe before returning home. The real reason for the multiple trips was the European Schengen agreement that limits you to three months stays in the 26 countries that abide by the rule. My wife and I hope to skirt this inconvenience by obtaining a long stay visa in France.

Regards, Mark...
Old 03-18-2015, 04:55 PM   #32

Just a thought on Europe... I have seen many rvs in France. We travel freq from Paris to Tours and Poitiers via rail on business. Check out the statue of Liberty and the stuffed elephant in Poitiers. FYI, DW said skip Spain and go to Ireland instead (Waterford for us)....
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:04 PM   #33

I don't know the cost of shipping the MH to Europe but have you considered renting a unit in Europe and leaving yours at home?
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:36 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglou View Post
Just a thought on Europe... I have seen many rvs in France. We travel freq from Paris to Tours and Poitiers via rail on business. Check out the statue of Liberty and the stuffed elephant in Poitiers. FYI, DW said skip Spain and go to Ireland instead (Waterford for us)....
Hi Hoglou,

My wife and I have been traveling to France for many years. Most of our trips have been self directed tours on our tandem bicycle, but we have also hiked from village to village in Burgundy with just a couple of backpacks. Our bike travels started in 1981 when we shipped our first tandem to London and then took off across the British countryside for a month. Anyway, a few years back we leased a car and for 5 weeks in France and visited a number of campsites to see what they were like. Generally, Europeans consider camping as an ideal way to spend their lengthy annual vacations. It's far less expensive than hotels and most of the campgrounds are near places of interest. Unlike here in the U.S. Europeans are not looking for the ersatz camping experience around the campfire (usually not allowed), but rather they want amenities that include restaurants, bars and access to public transportation. BTW, Ireland is definitely on my list.

Regards, Mark...
Old 03-18-2015, 05:38 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
I don't know the cost of shipping the MH to Europe but have you considered renting a unit in Europe and leaving yours at home?
Hi Caper,

If you want to RV in Europe for a month renting is the way to go, but for long trips it's really expensive. And we intend to visit over 26 countries over a period of years.

Regards, Mark...
Old 03-18-2015, 06:19 PM   #36

Bike across europe? Wow! We road an Ultra for years and toured the US, cant imagine no cruise or highway pegs on two wheels....
"Harry" the JK toad in the mirror
Check out the "mods" in the albums
Hoglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 12:20 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoglou View Post
Bike across europe? Wow! We road an Ultra for years and toured the US, cant imagine no cruise or highway pegs on two wheels....
Hey Hoglou,

On our last trip to France we met a couple of Aussies at a picnic stop who were touring Europe on a couple of muscular Beemers - really cool. Anyway, we prefer to travel under our own power so that we can eat as much as we like :-)

Regards, Mark...

Tags
slide